Speculation: Flyers next coach?

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Yup.

Let Yeo finish the year and fire him, Fletch and Lappy and start fresh.

This. Yeo is fine to finish out the string. May need to bring in a defensive guy with him though. Surprised Terry Murray isn't there yet.

After that though clean house and start fresh with a new GM and his own coaches. They are basically going into a multi-rebuild so now is the time to set up the org with a (hopefully) good mgmt group that can work as a cohesive unit at all levels.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think a lot of dinosaur coaches were successful for decades with physical controlled play, when you could clutch and grab, interference was never called, and bigger, slower players were successful. Chuck it off the boards and dump and chase and clog the net.

On the other hand, teams that fly on offense, but can't play playoff hockey have struggled in the playoffs, it's no accident TB went big on defense and devoted half their forward roster to faster forechecking types. Toronto is still trying to figure out how to balance top offense with solid defense. Same with Colorado and Edmonton. Elite offensive players will not get you a Cup by themselves.

This is why I cringe at the idea of Torts, Julien, Gallant, Trotz or any "fossil" coach.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This. Yeo is fine to finish out the string. May need to bring in a defensive guy with him though. Surprised Terry Murray isn't there yet.

After that though clean house and start fresh with a new GM and his own coaches. They are basically going into a multi-rebuild so now is the time to set up the org with a (hopefully) good mgmt group that can work as a cohesive unit at all levels.

That is wasting a pretty huge and significant amount of time - not for the coach, I couldn't care less about that for the rest of the season, but for the next GM. These next six months could be used to evaluate all of the players on the Flyers and in the system and in the upcoming draft (though presumably anyone we would hire is already looking into this last thing). It's a chance to review all of the processes and see all of the dysfunction, and then come up with a way to fix it. One offseason probably isn't enough to do ALL that, considering what a mess our development and everything else is, but it gives him a head start.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Why is this supposed to be encouraging? The most expensive hires are just the Vigneaults of the world, now that Boudreau is gone. No one cares how much money you want to piss away as a franchise; we just want a brilliant coach.

The Flyers not spending big on the laziest names and going hunting for a cost effective up and comer, without commitment, sounds more encouraging to me. But alas.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
To play Devil's advocate, that doesn't mean that they will spend a lot. It just means they can if they need to.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I think a lot of dinosaur coaches were successful for decades with physical controlled play, when you could clutch and grab, interference was never called, and bigger, slower players were successful. Chuck it off the boards and dump and chase and clog the net.

On the other hand, teams that fly on offense, but can't play playoff hockey have struggled in the playoffs, it's no accident TB went big on defense and devoted half their forward roster to faster forechecking types. Toronto is still trying to figure out how to balance top offense with solid defense. Same with Colorado and Edmonton. Elite offensive players will not get you a Cup by themselves.

This is why I cringe at the idea of Torts, Julien, Gallant, Trotz or any "fossil" coach.
I personally rather watch 10 years of Vegas or Colorado without a cup than Philadelphia the last 10 years! A cup is always luck. A good offensive tactic with intersting games 5:4 or 10:7 is worth more for me than winning 2:1 or loosing only in overtime for the hackstol point. In my eyes the last 10 years were harder to watch than a rebuild would be.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
On the bright side, whoever the new GM is, Quenneville will be eligible for rehabilitation as a Head Coach by next season....

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I see Grönborgs name popping up a lot but I think quite a few swedes have said he isn't very good with young players and is relying on veterans. I really don't know but I have read something like that multiple times.

If so I'd like to stay far away from him. Hak and AV PTSD is too strong on that regard.
Grönborg is in his third season with Zurich right now, Switzerland's biggest hockey organization and one of the biggest youth organizations in Europe. He came with the promise of being able to support young players and guide them their path to their pro career. Sadly, those younger players don't appear on the game sheet regularly and if they do, they often don't get any TOI. Grönborg seems to prefer experienced veterans and big names (even if they play badly for several games straight), he doesn't take any risk with young players. Also, since the season so far is one huge disappointment, he often seeks confrontation with the refs and other coaches and takes unnecessary video challenges way too often. It sometimes looks like he is creating distraction on purpose.

He was a great coach in his first season, when everything went fine (well, until COVID that is), but somehow he doesn't seem to be able to handle pressure very well. I like the guy a lot, and maybe he'll find success somewhere else (Zurich has the reputation of being "uncoachable"), but he has his flaws and will certainly not be the best choice when it comes to include young players in my opinion.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm actually in the get rid of Yeo camp as soon as possible.

I'd rather them go get Tocchet now.

Tocchet won't accept a short term deal.

Imagine Tocchet doing okay, Fletcher staying as well and the rebuild never happens. More mediocrity.
Or everything caving-in by end of the season, Fletcher finally gone but then Tocchet still in the books for multiple years with no support in the institution.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Tocchet won't accept a short term deal.

Imagine Tocchet doing okay, Fletcher staying as well and the rebuild never happens. More mediocrity.
Or everything caving-in by end of the season, Fletcher finally gone but then Tocchet still in the books for multiple years with no support in the institution.
How about tossing someone who is able to get a lot out of nothing (Torts? I know :help:) shit ton of money to come here for rest of the season to see what this group can do?

If they fail, blow it up and hire long term coach. If they somehow make a run then give that guy a new contract.

Won't happen but I'd like that.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Yeah lets hire torts and Tocchet.

Also lets bring back Bernie Parent in net and Clarke upfront since we are going backwards in time.

Reactions: Amorgus

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
If we hire Torts by the end of the year, he should be fired by new year 2024, along with Fletcher. Paying 2 coaches and a GM to not work for us at the same time would be epic.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
That is wasting a pretty huge and significant amount of time - not for the coach, I couldn't care less about that for the rest of the season, but for the next GM. These next six months could be used to evaluate all of the players on the Flyers and in the system and in the upcoming draft (though presumably anyone we would hire is already looking into this last thing). It's a chance to review all of the processes and see all of the dysfunction, and then come up with a way to fix it. One offseason probably isn't enough to do ALL that, considering what a mess our development and everything else is, but it gives him a head start.

Good point if that GM was available and they were ready to make a change. Sure, in that case hire him now.

Unfortunately, we both know they will probably keep Chuckie for a while longer. Maybe he’s on a shorter leash than before but I just don’t think they are ready to move on yet from Clarke’s protégé who was so glowingly recommended by the Flyers brain trust. My guess is they do a quicky retool this off-season and try again with a new coach and captain (presumably Couturier). At least that is my reading of the tea leaves. He’ll get some prodding to show results but publicly they’ll make excuses about Elllis and all.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If we hire Torts by the end of the year, he should be fired by new year 2024, along with Fletcher. Paying 2 coaches and a GM to not work for us at the same time would be epic.

I can't imagine even the most pro-Torts people would want him as long as that.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Reading a lot about Lane Lambert and Rikard Gronberg as two front-runners (at least in people's fantasy worlds).

Have no idea where the organization is on these two.

I won't even pretend to have the first clue as to whether either would be a good choice. I just want to watch a good team. If these guys can do it, then so be it.

We're in Year 7 of the Great Rebuild and sit in 24th overall.

I feel like we got hustled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad