Proposal: Flyers-Leafs

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Flyers fans, I'm interested in Scott Laughton as a guy that can play up and down Toronto's top 9 a little bit.

Not entirely sure what you guys are looking for so I'll start here...

To Toronto
Scott Laughton

To Philadelphia
Pierre Engvall
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

Are we even having the same conversation at that starting point?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Flyers fans, I'm interested in Scott Laughton as a guy that can play up and down Toronto's top 9 a little bit.

To Toronto
Scott Laughton

To Philadelphia
Pierre Engvall
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

In a flat cap environment I’d take that deal.

Lootin is UFA at the end of the season, so I’d take that deal then resign Lootin as a UFA :laugh:

Reactions: Flyer lurker

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Would expect a rd coming back for Laughton. Picks are meh at this point. Engvall nice piece but not a real need

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wouldn't want to give up Engvall, he's cheap, effective and signed for another year. I could also see him being affordable indefinitely because I don't think he'll put up much offense, but can still handle tough assignments and help to keep the puck in the offensive zone, which is a good fit for the Leafs.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

To Toronto
Scott Laughton

To Philadelphia
Pierre Engvall
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

Your value is what I would expect from Flyers point of view and very fair for a rental.

Well done!

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Wouldn't want to give up Engvall, he's cheap, effective and signed for another year. I could also see him being affordable indefinitely because I don't think he'll put up much offense, but can still handle tough assignments and help to keep the puck in the offensive zone, which is a good fit for the Leafs.

Don't want to give up Engvall either, but I think Laughton is, objectively, a better hockey player, who can go more things and play up an down the lineup, similar to Zack Hyman. Having two guys like that, would be awesome.

Also, I think Lawton is extandable for the Leafs. Southern Ontario boy, due a raise, but nothing crazy. Move Alex Kerfoot in the off season and walk away from Anderson, as expected, and both Hyman and Laughton are easily extendable, with nobody else needing a raise after you lose Dermott to expansion...

Money out / player out
Anderson: 5.0
Kerfoot: 3.5
Simmonds: 1.5
Engvall: 1.6
Dermott (expansion)

Money / player in
FA Goalie: 3.25
Hyman: 4.5
Laughton: 3.75
Robertson: ELC
Sandin

I think something like that might be very possible.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Don't want to give up Engvall either, but I think Laughton is, objectively, a better hockey player, who can go more things and play up an down the lineup, similar to Zack Hyman. Having two guys like that, would be awesome.

Also, I think Lawton is extandable for the Leafs. Southern Ontario boy, due a raise, but nothing crazy. Move Alex Kerfoot in the off season and walk away from Anderson, as expected, and both Hyman and Laughton are easily extendable, with nobody else needing a raise after you lose Dermott to expansion...

Money out / player out
Dermott (expansion)

Money / player in
Sandin

I agree that Laughton is a better player, I just think that Engvall is like a $2M player that you can trust anywhere in the bottom 6 and as part of a pretty smothering line.

For next year, I also like the idea of Kerfott+Andersen's money out, but I think it will be a year that UFA's are going to struggle to get contracts so it will be a good one to be a buyer in, so I'd like to save some bullets.

pooch

May 30, 2017
I like Laughton and wish the Flyers could keep him for our bottom 6. He is not the problem with this team.

Reactions: 04hockey

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I like Laughton and wish the Flyers could keep him for our bottom 6. He is not the problem with this team.
I like Laughton as well. But there just is not a spot available in the top 9 next year.

Giroux Couts Konecny
JVR Hayes Voracek
Lindblom Patrick Farabee
Frost

Frost should replace whoever is lost in the ED if we lose a F...and if we don't lose a F, then there are even less spots. And with him expecting to get 3-3.5 million, can't pay that for the 4th line.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
We'd probably do that deal unless Fletch plans to completely overhaul the team this offseason since we probably can't afford Laughton moving forward.

I'd be a bigger fan of Laughton 50 percent retained for a 1st, but this deal is good too

Reactions: Tripod

pooch

May 30, 2017
I like Laughton as well. But there just is not a spot available in the top 9 next year.

Giroux Couts Konecny
JVR Hayes Voracek
Lindblom Patrick Farabee
Frost

Frost should replace whoever is lost in the ED if we lose a F...and if we don't lose a F, then there are even less spots. And with him expecting to get 3-3.5 million, can't pay that for the 4th line.
I hear ya.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seems like one of the better threads on here with a couple viable options or at least a starting point on discussions. That's a win on this board lol.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

Money out / player out
Dermott (expansion)

Money / player in
Sandin

what goalie is Toronto getting for 3.25 that they'd actually be happy with? Reimer again? assuming this means Campbell is your #1?

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Yeah I'd accept that as a Flyers fan. If Toronto didn't want to give up Engvall (even for cap concerns) we could retain up to 50% and just do Laughts retained for a 1st.

Reactions: Tripod

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
what goalie is Toronto getting for 3.25 that they'd actually be happy with? Reimer again? assuming this means Campbell is your #1?

I think there are some goalies that would normally get about 4.0m next year, that are going to be squeezed because of the pandemic. I think Toronto is going to go with a 1A / 1B situation. I'm thinking a guy like Linus Ullmark (maybe he's more 3.5'ish) as the other guy in a Campbell split.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Seeing a lot of Flyers fans that would like to get a 1st for a retained Laughton. I don't think that's at all unreasonable, however, I'd like to keep the 1st round pick (as late as it should be) and part with Engvall, the 2nd and 4th instead.

I simply feel like Toronto can extend Hyman and Laughton, while upgrading Engvall with an FA or organizational depth in the off season.

In a "perfect" world for me Toronto would go into next year with a group of...

Robertson-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Laughton-Hyman
Anderson-Spezza-FA / Simmonds (if he'll take a cut)

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Sandin / Bogosian
Liljegren

1A FA
1B Campbell

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Seeing a lot of Flyers fans that would like to get a 1st for a retained Laughton. I don't think that's at all unreasonable, however, I'd like to keep the 1st round pick (as late as it should be) and part with Engvall, the 2nd and 4th instead.

I simply feel like Toronto can extend Hyman and Laughton, while upgrading Engvall with an FA in the off season.

In "perfect" world for me Toronto would go into next year with a group of...

Robertson-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Laughton-FA-Hyman
Mikheyev-Spezza-FA / Simmonds (if he'll take a cut)

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Sandin / Bogosian
Liljegren

1A FA
1B Campbell
Flyers are not getting a 1. At best its Toffoli deal 2 and b+ prospect. and even that seems high

2 and 4 and Engvall is more than fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad