Rumor: Flyers interested in Dennis Rasmussen

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's awesome!

OK, now that I think this is awesome, someone who knows the kid should probably explain to me why I think it's awesome.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Reading his information, it sounds like he is a slightly bigger version of Michael Raffl. Would be a good bottom 6 LW.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
This was reported earlier in the year. Hopefully the Flyers can grab him and use him on the fourth line. Rinaldo then can go home or to the AHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9985

A big and strong player. Reads the game well. Good defensively. Somewhat limited offensively, but valuable as a role player. Drives the net, strong along the boards and in front of the crease. Has good hands and a good release. Good penalty killer.

I like the sound of the kid. Appleyard I think has some other info on him IIRC. He has seen him play a few times I believe.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
That's awesome!

OK, now that I think this is awesome, someone who knows the kid should probably explain to me why I think it's awesome.

He's not Brayden Schenn!

Anyway, hopefully he can be a solid bottom 6 player for us. Maybe take some PK time from Couts & Read so they can chip in more on the 2nd unit next year.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Is this new? It was reported by Bill a few months back (March?) and I asked him about it on twitter like three days ago and he said he hadn't heard anything since.

Anyway, from what I understand he plays 200 feet, is a very good PKer, has great size (6'3" 200+lbs), can play all forward positions and is only 23. His offense has started to devolop nicely and based on a quote from a teammate of his who has some NHL experience and even spent some time in Philadelphia he's definitely got an NHL future. If the Flyers sign him I think it'll be a great signing, he's a power forward so he still hasn't hit his prime and he should fit in nicely with this core and more importantly will be cheap. With all that said I haven't seen him play this is just based off what I've read/heard.

Edit: Apparently that teammate is Tomi Kallio, who suited up in orange n black for all of 7 games back in 02-03. :laugh: Here is the exerpt from HockeyBuzz that I mentioned earlier.

Hockey Sverige and national Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reported that there is NHL interest in Växjö Lakers forward Dennis Rasmussen. Several NHL clubs have scouted the big two-way forward.

The most interested club appears to be the Flyers. Philadelphia has had two of its European scouts watching Växjö in the playoffs. Moreover, Rasmussen fits the mold of the type of player that generally appeals to the Flyers.

Rasmussen is a versatile forward who can play any forward position. The 23-year-old has both a big frame and a bit of grit to his game, and plays a solid all-around game. His offensive game has come on a bit in the last couple years but his main assets are smarts and work ethic in addition to his size and strength.

Throughout this season, Rasmussen has played on a line with veteran Finnish forward Tomi Kallio (who very briefly played for the Flyers during his NHL career). Kallio told Hockey Sverige that he is "one hundred percent certain" that Rasmussen will play in the NHL as soon as next season.

For his part, Rasmussen told the Swedish media that his only focus right now is on Växjö's playoff run. The Lakers have made it to the semifinals. Rasmussen said that he has forbidden his agent from discussing with him anything having to do with his future beyond this season.

Rasmussen is signed to Växjö for next season, but can be released from his contract to sign with an NHL team after his current campaign ends.

source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=58997

I especially like the bold, hopefully players like him (assuming he works out) can force Rinaldo out of the lineup.

Edit 2: Here is Appleyard's post on him from the prospects thread.

Rasmussen was 8th amongst SHL forwards in scoring this year. (and 8th in PPG amongst forwards with over 40 games played.)

He was the highest scoring u24 year old in the league.

One of the best PKers in the SHL, very good defensively, strong, good on the boards.

Assistant captain on his team, out in all situations.

Can play every forward position.

6'3 and 205-210.

He also has a pretty lethal wrister from what I have seen of him in the SHL... though I admit that is ~3 games!

He could be a very good bottom sixer.

Edit 3: The article is dated May 13th so that's good. Hopefully he decides to come here instead of Vancouver.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If there's one thing I have complete faith in, it's the Flyers ability to pull guys out of nowhere and make them serviceable NHL'ers. I'll be excited if they can get him under contract.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Not saying he will produce points in the NHL nor even play in it but 40 points in 52 SHL games isnt too shabby.

Might be a perfect fit on the Couturier and Read line. Big guy who brings some offense but great defense. Works the boards for Couturier and Read. But first we got to sign him, and wait to see if Hexy hints like Homer used to do on players they feel can make the team. Then he has to make the team.

Having him or Raffl on the 4th line is great.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
He's a smart player but don't know where the whole 'plays all forward positions' is coming from, he's been a C at least the last six seasons. Surely he's played wing a shift every now and then, now with the national team, but he's a natural C.

Despite his size and work ethic, not really a physical player, could use some time with the Phantoms to learn what it takes to be a bottom-6 player for the Philly Flyers.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Sign the guy and bring him to camp and see if he can earn a spot. If he can I am all for it. This team needs to find guys to play 4th line minutes who can play hockey outside of Hall provided he comes back.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
All your free agent are belong to us.

Seriously though, never heard of this guy. Can't hurt to have more depth, right? RIGHT?!

member 30781

Seems like he could be a potentially solid replacement for Steve Downie on the 3rd line with Couturier and Read. Plus, he doesn't come with the perception of Downie. Wouldn't mind this signing at all for depth purposes.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Seems like he could be a potentially solid replacement for Steve Downie on the 3rd line with Couturier and Read. Plus, he doesn't come with the perception of Downie. Wouldn't mind this signing at all for depth purposes.

I'd rather have Raffl on that line and put this cat on the 4th.

Hartnell/new guy-G-Voracek
Hartnell/Schenn-Schenn/VL-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
Rasmussen-Laughton-Rinaldo/Hall

Am I forgetting anyone?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
All our bottom six will be natural centres (though Hall is a winger turned centre... just pretend that is not true.)... mwahahahaha!

Raffl-Couturier-Read
Rasmussen-Laughton-Hall

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
All our bottom six will be natural centres (though Hall is a winger turned centre... just pretend that is not true.)... mwahahahaha!

Raffl-Couturier-Read
Rasmussen-Laughton-Hall

Was Read a center in college?

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
I'd rather have Raffl on that line and put this cat on the 4th.

Hartnell/new guy-G-Voracek
Hartnell/Schenn-Schenn/VL-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
Rasmussen-Laughton-Rinaldo/Hall

Am I forgetting anyone?

I'd rather have Akeson than Rinaldo/Hall IMO. But otherwise that lineup looks good.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: