Flyers hire Assistant Coach Knoblauch

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Knob could give some good insight on Lodnia. Is there any other Erie draft eligible players that he might have the inside track on? I am too lazy to look....and I know about Raddysh being a UFA. Any others?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't know what happened in the last 2 years that they chose to look into him again and hire him, but clearly they parted on good terms last time. I still think the 2 rookie coaches factor played a big role. This was quite a quick hiring. Head coaches usually have a good say in their assistants, and I'm sure Hakstol was more than fine with it, but Knoblauch was a name Hextall had circled while he was still hiring Hakstol, so this is his guy.

Might be the best hire Hexy has made yet. Restores a bit of faith in that department, even with Dumb and Dumber in the AHL and Murphy and especially Lappy still in the NHL. This isn't the type of usual assistant hire, where it's some re-tread and they'll be around for a few years tops and then on their itinerant way. This is an organizational move for the future, our own coaching prospect. He's likely to be around for a long time, in whatever capacity. I'm pleased that it's a fresh thinker who will have Hakstol's ear in the meantime.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
6_DHS.jpg

Check that out, holy ****, that is creepy. I had a really bad nightmare last night about an alien invasion and that's exactly the look I had on my face in the dream, I am sure.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Knob could give some good insight on Lodnia. Is there any other Erie draft eligible players that he might have the inside track on? I am too lazy to look....and I know about Raddysh being a UFA. Any others?

Not really. They were an older team with most of the talent being guys already drafted. I don't know if he'll get drafted for sure but German Poddubnyi is probably the only guy on the roster sans Lodnia that has a chance to.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know what happened in the last 2 years that they chose to look into him again and hire him, but clearly they parted on good terms last time. I still think the 2 rookie coaches factor played a big role. This was quite a quick hiring. Head coaches usually have a good say in their assistants, and I'm sure Hakstol was more than fine with it, but Knoblauch was a name Hextall had circled while he was still hiring Hakstol, so this is his guy.

Might be the best hire Hexy has made yet. Restores a bit of faith in that department, even with Dumb and Dumber in the AHL and Murphy and especially Lappy still in the NHL. This isn't the type of usual assistant hire, where it's some re-tread and they'll be around for a few years tops and then on their itinerant way. This is an organizational move for the future, our own coaching prospect. He's likely to be around for a long time, in whatever capacity. I'm pleased that it's a fresh thinker who will have Hakstol's ear in the meantime.

I suspect this hiring was strongly supported by Hakstol, who's assistant coach was named to replace him (thus was unavailable to bring with him). He inherited organization men, but will probably more comfortable with Knoblauch than the careerists recommended to him by Hextall.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...hakstol-hired-flyers-assistant-coaches-status

The fact that Hextall chose Hakstol as an assistant for Team Canada suggests this is more about getting young, like minded assistants on board than a warning shot.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...n-hextall-canada-iihf-world-championship-2017

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's very few coaches in the league that wouldn't be feeling some sort of pressure in the back of their mind if their team just hired a young upcoming hot shot coaching prospect. Dave Hakstol is not one of those coaches.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh. In the end "you win or you die."

If the GM isn't happy with you, doesn't make much difference if the next coach is on the roster or hired from outside the organization.

On the other hand, if you want to keep your job, having a bright young assistant coach will probably help more than another mediocre retread.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I saw Isaac in his article mentioned that he would likely not be on the bench, but I don't know if that came from Hextall or him presuming. Probably the latter and he is probably wrong. :laugh:

I think that would be a really really stupid decision. This is a bench boss with a lot of head coaching experience. He's a guy you want to have more rapport with these players and give him the experience coaching behind a pro bench. Can't seriously think Lappy or Murph are better suited for that. On just a hockey smarts level he is way above them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I saw Isaac in his article mentioned that he would likely not be on the bench, but I don't know if that came from Hextall or him presuming. Probably the latter and he is probably wrong. :laugh:

Classic Dave.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The only information Isaac used to come to that conclusion is that Mullen wasn't on the bench, and since Knoblauch is replacing Mullen, he too won't be on the bench.

That's the type of "insight" the media gives us :laugh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It would be nice if Isaac mentioned whether or not his statement that Knoblauch probably wouldn't be stationed on the bench was pure speculation or based on actual information from the organization.

But since there's no mention of a source, I'm going to assume it's pure speculation. Also, if I had to guess, he's wrong. As I said before, I don't think you bring in Knoblauch to have him sit in a booth during games, and I'm not sure he'd have accepted the role if that were the plan.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Knoblauch has 7 years experience of being a HC in the WHL & OHL. It would be pretty foolish to leave him off the bench especially since neither Lappy or Murphy have HC experience at any level. Lappy is still pretty inexperienced as a coach in general. Jumped right after playing into development coach role to being an NHL AC the past four years.

Knoblauch:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=2447

Lappy:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=8869

Murphy:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=1148

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So this appears to be a Good Thing, and his name is Garlic which is also an inherently Good Thing.

All of this seems to be a Good Thing.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
It would be nice if Isaac mentioned whether or not his statement that Knoblauch probably wouldn't be stationed on the bench was pure speculation or based on actual information from the organization.

But since there's no mention of a source, I'm going to assume it's pure speculation. Also, if I had to guess, he's wrong. As I said before, I don't think you bring in Knoblauch to have him sit in a booth during games, and I'm not sure he'd have accepted the role if that were the plan.

He may not start out on the bench but my guess is he will end up there or HC in LV before the year is out.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I suspect this hiring was strongly supported by Hakstol, who's assistant coach was named to replace him (thus was unavailable to bring with him). He inherited organization men, but will probably more comfortable with Knoblauch than the careerists recommended to him by Hextall.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...hakstol-hired-flyers-assistant-coaches-status

The fact that Hextall chose Hakstol as an assistant for Team Canada suggests this is more about getting young, like minded assistants on board than a warning shot.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...n-hextall-canada-iihf-world-championship-2017

Not so sure. Seems like the HC did not pick his assistant and the GM picks an up and coming coach to be the assistant. Either Hak wins and we are good or Hak loses and Knob replaces him. Win Win

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It really should be a case of Hextall adding a HC and an assistant that are used to dealing with young players and how to get the most out of them.

But it likely won't play out like that.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Just wanted to say that this is a great hire, and he has a future as a head coach. Congratulations and treat him well!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just wanted to say that this is a great hire, and he has a future as a head coach. Congratulations and treat him well!

Thanks! Knoblauch will be our next HC unless Hakstol pulls a 180 in his decision making .

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad