Dreger: Flyers gauging interest in Scott Laughton

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Depends on the conditions.

Thanks for your response. A 3rd would be a pretty good deal for the Flyers; realistically a 4th.
you as well. I am just curious at what the fans are thinking. Sometimes it's over-exaggerated, others can be realistic. I am assuming this is more realistic and I'd probably do it pretty quickly. Just the snarl and attitude he brings (at least when he played the wings) is what we need and veleno doesn't really provide that.

Reactions: BernieParent

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Not sure if you’re Detroit, you add a Veleno in a trade for Laughton. Maybe if you’re going Cup shopping but Detroit isn’t there yet. A lot of people forget Veleno is still pretty young, and he’s taken some big steps the last calendar year. He’s turning into a good player, and he hasn’t seen his ceiling yet.

The problem including him in a deal for Laughton is, in two years, he’s probably as good as, or better than Laughton, and he’ll only be 25..

So for example, if I’m Colorado and had Veleno, I’d include him in the trade. Not so sure Detroit would, or should. Doesn’t mean they wouldn’t like Laughton in their lineup, just think they’d choose different chips to acquire him. Too good of a bet, Detroit would look back at the trade and question why they did it.
I am saying that veleno does not provide the snarl or hurt in his game that laughton provides. veleno has shown great sometimes and that probably has something to do with usage, but laughton just seems like the kind of player that can get in peoples faces when we need it the most.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Isn’t the long-held observation in Philly that he’s distinctly better, and certainly more productive, as a hard-nosed winger as opposed to taking on all the responsibilities of a center?

Not sure he is the cure for a team’s “center” woes. I think when you are shopping at the deadline you need to be hyper-aware of those kind of distinctions.

A player can essentially be two different guys…in Laughton’s case a low-level center who isn’t really a great defensive player or playmaker and a middle six winger with toughness and energy who can add a touch of offense. That doesn’t mean he can do both at the same time, consistently.

And yet we just tend to assume he is both a solid “center” and a secondary contributor who can play up and down the line-up.

Last edited:

Evergreen

It would be a real shame to lose Laughts. He’s a great guy and is beloved by his teammates. He’s the kind of guy you can be proud to have on your team. The Laughton-Konecny PK pairing has also been dynamite this year.

If I were Briere I’d hang onto him unless I get an offer I can’t refuse.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers would have zero interest in Holmberg, Kampf would be a salary dump.
Problem is Leafs lack draft picks, prospects to trade, unless they want to trade their 1st with a 3rd coming back.

Reactions: Breeze 44

Nickhr

Jan 24, 2024
I actually think the Leafs are gonna be very interested in this one. Especially because he has term and isn't a rental
He would be a good fit there, but the Leafs don't have a lot of assets.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
With 99% probability 1st round pick will be 20-32. Based on past stats, 75% of guys selected at the end of 1st round became bottom players, or never became regular NHLers.
So in this case we can get another Laughton (at best) and will have to wait 3-4 years to debut and another 2-3 years to hit prime.

So it’s the reason why I’m not a fan of this type of compensation. The better option get prospect who already khown as a player with top6 upside.

Reactions: Pantokrator

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If any Hab fans suggests a trade for him, please shoot him on the spot and save me the anguish.

He may be a decent player but at 29, too old to serve our timeline.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Laughton is the type of player teams need for the playoffs. If you are a team going for the Cup, Laughton is easily worth a late first round pick. What good is a late first with low probability of making an impact within three years on a team trying to win now?

The problem for the Flyers is what does that accomplish? They get a draft pick for a player that has a 65% chance of playing more than 99 games in the NHL (based on this website: NHL Draft Pick Probabilities . The chance that player becomes as good as Laughton is slim.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The problem for the Flyers is what does that accomplish? They get a draft pick for a player that has a 65% chance of playing more than 99 games in the NHL (based on this website: NHL Draft Pick Probabilities . The chance that player becomes as good as Laughton is slim.
The main things it would accomplish: 1) prove their commitment to the stated rebuild. Laughton would be the first significant piece who hadn't been disgruntled or in Torts' doghouse to be moved in the Brière era; and 2) give us more ammunition for draft day trades/an additional lottery ticket to help us rebuild our prospect pipeline. Beyond that, by the time we can hope to be legitimate contenders, Laughton will be somewhere around 32-34, running low of tread on his tired, and there's no real benefit to keeping him until he's got no value. Better to keep collecting assets to help us develop that next truly successful Flyers team of the future than to keep Laughton here for no reason or benefit.

Obviously, if we can do better than a late first, great, by all means do so, but I'm not turning my nose up at any first round pick if the alternative is watching Laughton's trade value crumble to dust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad