Dreger: Flyers gauging interest in Scott Laughton

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's exactly the sort of "under the radar" deadline acquisition that tends to pay off big for some team. Plays the right way, versatile to play pretty much anywhere up and down your lineup, PKer, some grit, etc. Not one of those flashy "star scoring winger" type pickups that tend to go awry when they disrupt things, unsettle an established powerplay or whatever. But he's got enough ability to play up as a Top-6 complementary Winger...or anchor something as either a C or W in the bottom-6. And extra term at a very reasonable number is "value" as not just a pure rental.

I'd love him for the Canucks. Seems like the sort who would be a great plug 'n play fit with Tocchet's system. Would just really contribute even more to the team's flexibility and depth up front to throw out a lot of different looks. Whether that's playing the PDG role opposite JT Miller+Boeser, playing up with Pettersson, or even flanking Lindholm when the Lotto Line is together. But would also be huge playing between Hoglander and Lafferty. That'd be one heck of a killer 3a/b Line.

Not sure how rich i'd go, and the Canucks have already spent a decent chunk of available capital on Lindholm in the first place.

But a Flyers fan previously mentioned something like Raty + 2nd. I'd do that in a heartbeat. Not sure that gets it done if it turns into a bidding war for him though.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
The main things it would accomplish: 1) prove their commitment to the stated rebuild. Laughton would be the first significant piece who hadn't been disgruntled or in Torts' doghouse to be moved in the Brière era; and 2) give us more ammunition for draft day trades/an additional lottery ticket to help us rebuild our prospect pipeline. Beyond that, by the time we can hope to be legitimate contenders, Laughton will be somewhere around 32-34, running low of tread on his tired, and there's no real benefit to keeping him until he's got no value. Better to keep collecting assets to help us develop that next truly successful Flyers team of the future than to keep Laughton here for no reason or benefit.

Obviously, if we can do better than a late first, great, by all means do so, but I'm not turning my nose up at any first round pick if the alternative is watching Laughton's trade value crumble to dust.
Good points. I would love it if they did it to signal we truly are rebuilding and give us ammo for another trade. I am just thinking straight value Laughton would most likely be a better player than anyone we would draft in the late first round.

Reactions: captainpaxil

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
With 99% probability 1st round pick will be 20-32. Based on past stats, 75% of guys selected at the end of 1st round became bottom players, or never became regular NHLers.
So in this case we can get another Laughton (at best) and will have to wait 3-4 years to debut and another 2-3 years to hit prime.

So it’s the reason why I’m not a fan of this type of compensation. The better option get prospect who already khown as a player with top6 upside.
Except we already have another Laughton, and he's a few years younger. I'd be happy with a lower 1st rounder, maybe grab a B prospect too.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
No I do not. Any support to back that up?
It's nonsense.

Seravalli reported in one sentence at the end of a podcast that Laughton was part of a bigger deal including OTHER PLAYERS with St. Louis at the time, with the whole packaging returning a 1st and a 2nd as the Blues had 3 1sts. That's the only source ever on it, but most speculated the actual deal was Laughton + Sanheim for Krug, 1st, 2nd or something of that order. Instead, the Flyers did not want to include Laughton and tried to push off Hayes instead. Once Krug declined, it was broken down into a simple Hayes at 50% for a 5th or whatever it was.

That narrative has grown so out of line with Flyers' fans ready to jump down management's throat for anything. It was "DB turned down Laughton for a first as a basis for the deal" (it was not), to "straight up for a 1st, one for one" to "1st + 2nd" to now "2 firsts." Pretty amazing, really, how the value from a year ago still trends upwards when nothing actually happened.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It's nonsense.

Seravalli reported in one sentence at the end of a podcast that Laughton was part of a bigger deal including OTHER PLAYERS with St. Louis at the time, with the whole packaging returning a 1st and a 2nd as the Blues had 3 1sts. That's the only source ever on it, but most speculated the actual deal was Laughton + Sanheim for Krug, 1st, 2nd or something of that order. Instead, the Flyers did not want to include Laughton and tried to push off Hayes instead. Once Krug declined, it was broken down into a simple Hayes at 50% for a 5th or whatever it was.

That narrative has grown so out of line with Flyers' fans ready to jump down management's throat for anything. It was "DB turned down Laughton for a first as a basis for the deal" (it was not), to "straight up for a 1st, one for one" to "1st + 2nd" to now "2 firsts." Pretty amazing, really, how the value from a year ago still trends upwards when nothing actually happened.
I have zero doubt that were offered a 1st for him. He was coming off a 43 point year. Very affordable. A player teams want.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Sarge isn't a expiring contract so what the flyers are gaging really is his value to the team now vs what his value will be when it ends. If it's second round pick his value to the team probably doesn't justify opting out early. A late first is fair but given the current center market an additional third or b prospect convinces briere to sell high

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I have zero doubt that were offered a 1st for him. He was coming off a 43 point year. Very affordable. A player teams want.
Nobody is buying Scott Laughton for his offensive production. His TOI was off the charts last year because of the Flyers injuries to Couts and Atkinson, playing in a top 6 role, which he wouldn't do on any serious contender anyway.

He's also a veteran player who has been in the league many years - GMs know what he is, and what he isn't. If he was ever worth a 1st, I doubt much has changed.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
It's nonsense.

"Daniel Briere has already turned down a haul for Scott Laughton:

The Blues have offered their 25th and 29th and future 2nd round pick in 2024."

No mention of other pieces. So yeah, not exactly creating a narrative here.

Considering Danny wasn’t gm until 1 week after the trade deadline last year nobody remembers him doing that

Printed in June 2023. So sure, maybe it was just a rumor, but I'm not pulling it straight from my ass.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

No mention of other pieces. So yeah, not exactly creating a narrative here.

You really believe, even in a 43 point career year, SCOTT LAUGHTON could acquire 2 1sts and a 2nd?

And IF that is true, it was offered for a player who was having a CAREER season of 43 points? And now, after a crap season (where he's on pace for 35ish points), is barely worth a 3rd or whatever? That 8 points was the difference between 2 1sts, a second and whatever we get now?

Your wish, I guess. I guess I just take media reports (especially ones from only a single source) with a grain of salt - every other reporter had Laughton going to the Blues as a bigger package.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
You really believe, even in a 43 point career year, SCOTT LAUGHTON could acquire 2 1sts and a 2nd?

And IF that is true, it was offered for a player who was having a CAREER season of 43 points? And now, after a crap season (where he's on pace for 35ish points), is barely worth a 3rd or whatever? That 8 points was the difference between 2 1sts, a second and whatever we get now?

Your wish, I guess. I guess I just take media reports (especially ones from only a single source) with a grain of salt - every other reporter had Laughton going to the Blues as a bigger package.
You guys said it was BS and I provided a source. 90% of this website is rumor discussions. Don't shoot the messenger, bud.

Reactions: MiddleEarth

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
From Armstrong to the Athletic: « One thing that I do know, though, is if we move picks or players, it’s not going to be for one-year players. We need to retrench with players 25-26 (years old), and under, that have term on their contracts so they can grow with that next core of players we have. »

« report from Frank Seravalli revealed that the Flyers had turned down a massive haul from the St. Louis Blues:

- Pick 25 OR 29 of the 2023 NHL Draft
- 2nd Round Selection 2024 Draft »

Or…
Edit: So TWO never happened.
still a good return last June but nothing crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skizwald

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad