Pre-Game Talk: Flyers at the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
I’ll be impressed if they follow up that abject failure by pummeling the Flyers Sunday

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I agree with your feedback on Wheeler - he doesn't fit in with what the others could potentially be -
I'm referring to quick decision making - he's too slow in figuring out his next move and he gets crowded while he thinks things through.
We need someone who can not only pass the puck, but move it quickly - if it all goes through Wheels, we are not going to look any different no matter who you throw out there. He also telegraphs his shots - when he takes the shot rather than the pass, you can see it coming a mile away.

I also agree that he is bringing a lot to the second line as a center - but he's killing the PP if he continues to be the QB.
Move him down low and replace him with KC - in other words, switch roles.
And it doesn't have to be KC although I think he has the skills to make plays quickly and work along the boards if he has to - he also has a very quick shot - especially if they give him any room to move into the slot or closer in.

I'm sounding like a wheeler basher but I'm really not - he brings a lot to the game but I think the PP needs to evolve out there.
There might not be any need to switch the personnel on the PP – a change of roles seems to be in place though. I wish that Maurice would try Laine and Chef on the left and right with Connor in front and Wheeler behind the goal. Chef and Laine can both dish the puck and shoot it, and Connor is great in close. Pionk, Laine and Chef could switch spots frequently to break the box and open up seams. The PP is too predictable as long as the play goes through Wheeler, since the book on it has been out for a year now.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Didn't realize the Flyers play the Wild tonight , no excuses for not jumping all over the Flyers early . :hit:

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Didn't realize the Flyers play the Wild tonight , no excuses for not jumping all over the Flyers early . :hit:
Less than 24 hour turnaround for Flyers. But Jets prefer to sleepwalk through the first and hope to comeback after because "they know they can"

Reactions: Calendal

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Didn’t realize konecny was out with a concussion. He was having a hell of a start to the season. That hurts the Flyers.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Unless we get ‘Carter-Harted’ this should be a very winnable game for Jets.

Hope everyone isn’t superstitious.

Reactions: Jets 31

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Practice audio:

Players: Mathieu Perreault & Gabriel Bourque.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: Status of Wheeler? David Gustafsson being loaned to Team Sweden. Did he like what he saw from practice and will they be able to put Thursday in the rear-view mirror? The look of the second power play unit. What are the Flyers biggest strengths? On Gustafsson learning to use less minutes. Team having more fun.

To listen click here.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree with your feedback on Wheeler - he doesn't fit in with what the others could potentially be -
I'm referring to quick decision making - he's too slow in figuring out his next move and he gets crowded while he thinks things through.
We need someone who can not only pass the puck, but move it quickly - if it all goes through Wheels, we are not going to look any different no matter who you throw out there. He also telegraphs his shots - when he takes the shot rather than the pass, you can see it coming a mile away.

I also agree that he is bringing a lot to the second line as a center - but he's killing the PP if he continues to be the QB.
And it doesn't have to be KC although I think he has the skills to make plays quickly and work along the boards if he has to - he also has a very quick shot - especially if they give him any room to move into the slot or closer in.

I'm sounding like a wheeler basher but I'm really not - he brings a lot to the game but I think the PP needs to evolve out there.
Agree with every word.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
It's amazing how you can lose one game in the Central and lose so much ground , this Central is going to be a battle right to the end of the season . :phew:

And basically you are just playing for home ice anyway, as all possible opponents are about as strong depending on who’s on a hot streak.

Unless central gets 5 teams, but Jets are not looking like that 5th team.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Some are a little worried about our goals for and against St.Louis has 98 for and 90 against and we have 94 for and 88 against and have played 1 less game . Our season isn't over just yet . :laugh:

According to my math, that means we're destined to win 4-2. BRB gonna take Jets -1.5 and over 5.5 :P

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Flyers have one less point than the Jets with one less game played and we just lost to the Red Wings. No way are they taking this game lightly.
Looking for a big game from Helly after the disappointing loss.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I think he’s capable of moving the puck quickly when the opportunity presents itself, but when it doesn’t he hangs on too long and slows things down.

Imo his biggest issue on the PP is his movement, he has awful instincts for space along the half wall. He constantly skates himself into pressure and is either dispossessed or forced into a poor pass or shot.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Listened to the pomo video and it just goes to show how chemistry in a locker room is so important in this sport. Everyone like to shit on potato and the idea of "gud vet" has become a bit of a meme around here... but for everyone that has played this sport and been on a team that achieved more than it ought to have, I guarantee the room was tight.

You cant just grab the guys with the best xGF with the lowest cap hits and win it all.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't like the way this game is shaping up.
First, the Flyers played like **** tonight against the Wild ... you know they will played a lot better vs Jets and maybe the puck bounces their way.
Second, of all the teams ... the Jets record is the WORST vs Flyers ... 16 games below .500

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't like the way this game is shaping up.
First, the Flyers played like **** tonight against the Wild ... you know they will played a lot better vs Jets and maybe the puck bounces their way.
Second, of all the teams ... the Jets record is the WORST vs Flyers ... 16 games below .500
And last season we beat them 7-1 when they played their one game in Winnipeg. The rest of your post makes no sense. When the Jets are on a B2B everyone is worried about the 2nd game, but when Philly is on a B2B on the road somehow because they got blown out in game 1 they are due to have pucks bounce their way in game 2?

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Why the heck do game threads not begin until game day?

I pledge to amend this unwritten rule to allow GDTs to begin earlier if the thread creator sees fit.:thumbu:

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg

I pledge to amend this unwritten rule to allow GDTs to begin earlier if the thread creator sees fit.:thumbu:
Duhhh... maybe cuz they're GAME DAY THREADS?!? :laugh:

And it's not an unwritten rule...
GDT: - 2018-19 GDT Sign-Up Thread
Not many rules, although there are a few official and unofficial ones: don't post until 12 midnight the day of the game, and follow the site rules regarding content, which includes not posting content of a political, religious, illegal, or sexual nature - dat's it!

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
And last season we beat them 7-1 when they played their one game in Winnipeg. The rest of your post makes no sense. When the Jets are on a B2B everyone is worried about the 2nd game, but when Philly is on a B2B on the road somehow because they got blown out in game 1 they are due to have pucks bounce their way in game 2?
Look at Jets record vs Flyers ... Jets 16 games below 500 against them ... the worst of any team.
When a team plays like crap ... they usually a lot better the next game also I noticed that teams that play B2B get more PPs.
Just look at the four B2B the Jets played ... the opposing team never had more PPs than the Jets in any of those 4 games ... the Jets had 15 PPs vs the opponents 7.
I'm just going by stats.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

If people are throwing up GDT's 2 or 3 days in advance then you take away the opportunity for themed GDT's. Keep in mind most of my threads were posted at like 3 or 4 in the morning the day of the game.

I'm not dead... just baby busy and lurking.
I'll commit to one before X-MAS plus the big game against the Leafs that I signed up for before the season started.

Oh and I agree with the Wheeler stuff... love him... but aside from the great seam passes (which he basically never completes anymore) he is bad in the PP role he is in. Put that big body in front of the net to screen the goalie (something we are often lacking) and look for tips and rebounds. Plus let him take the faceoffs cause Scheif ain't winning too many of those!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad