Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think you need to make a move - sign Williams at $4m, and a goalie at $3m. Leaving $1.1m in space.

I signed Williams at $3.5 and a goalie at $4, so I had it closer to 700k space but yeah, it's definitely not unfeasible. But I'm no cap expert, and I'm not sure how much room is needed for bonuses (which could be dealt with around the trade deadline if need be) because that's starting to get tight.

Maybe Williams needs a bit of a pay incentive to come here, like making 750k more this year than last. Goalie is a wild card. If we go bargain big shopping, we could sign someone from $2.5-3. The hope of getting Mason might be $4. Need a 23rd extra man too perhaps, but that's pennies.

Matt Read has to go though cap-wise.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I signed Williams at $3.5 and a goalie at $4, so I had it closer to 700k space but yeah, it's definitely not unfeasible. But I'm no cap expert, and I'm not sure how much room is needed for bonuses (which could be dealt with around the trade deadline if need be) because that's starting to get tight.

Maybe Williams needs a bit of a pay incentive to come here, like making 750k more this year than last. Goalie is a wild card. If we go bargain big shopping, we could sign someone from $2.5-3. The hope of getting Mason might be $4. Need a 23rd extra man too perhaps, but that's pennies.

Matt Read has to go though cap-wise.

I keep hoping him and Filps are traded at TDL. I didn't like Filps trade from the beginning and now he just blocks our young kids. Hope Patrick and Laughton bump him and Lehtera from center position.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sending MacDonald to the AHL would save a bit :)

I mean it would save all of us endless complaining and the painful experience of watching MacDonald.......but cap-wise we'd still have to call up Sanheim, and it wouldn't change anything.

Now, trading MacDonald to some sucker with a mil or mil and a half retained is The Dream.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I mean it would save all of us endless complaining and the painful experience of watching MacDonald.......but cap-wise we'd still have to call up Sanheim, and it wouldn't change anything.

Now, trading MacDonald to some sucker with a mil or mil and a half retained is The Dream.

HA, I'm dumb. I was too busy celebrating over demoting MacDonald and saving a bit on his cap hit to recognize that a promotion would nullify any savings.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
marleau would be awesome. Doubt he comes here though. Would be the ideal guy to replace schenn on the top pp.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They qualified Bardreau, Laughton, Leier, Lyubimov, Lyon, Stolarz and Vecchione.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
They qualified Bardreau, Laughton, Leier, Lyubimov, Lyon, Stolarz and Vecchione.

Did not expect Lyubimov to get qualified. I liked him, over Vdv at least, obvious not a completely polished player. Big picture, hope this is a Allentown move, I want more on the Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Probably more of a tagging thing to keep his rights in case he comes back to the NHL. Same thing they did with Gustafsson when he left to play overseas. I'd be surprised if he's not playing in Russia next year.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I'd really like Williams if a fair deal can be agreed upon. I think after the Schenn trade we're a solid winger short and with a few rookies on the team next year, I'd like to be able to guarantee they'll have good linemates no matter where they end up.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
"We want to be better now, we want to be better next year. Valteri is a very good two way player... This was a guy that we've liked for years."

â€â€Ron Hextall, on the acquisition of Valteri Filppula

He's not going anywhere soon and Hextall wants him to have a big role (top-6). I think it made him much more comfortable with unloading Schenn.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'd really like Williams if a fair deal can be agreed upon. I think after the Schenn trade we're a solid winger short and with a few rookies on the team next year, I'd like to be able to guarantee they'll have good linemates no matter where they end up.

I don't think we need any more UFA forwards, in fact we need to trade a couple.

Assuming Weal doesn't sign with Flyers:

Lindblom-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Konecny
Filppula-Patrick-Simmonds
Lehtera-Laughton-Weise
Read-Vecchione-Lyubimov (is it possible he accepts the QO and comes back?)

That's already enough. If there are injuries, I really want to see Bardreau and Leier get a shot this year. McDonald and Knight can play in a pinch and Aube-Kubel and Martel are not far off. Vorobyov might be too good for the AHL - do we keep him there for the full year if he's tearing it up?

I'd rather roll with what we have, Weal or not, and then do some call ups to see if we have more NHLers ready. Certainly Leier and Bardreau have earned a shot as 4th line PKers, haven't they?

At TDL we may be able to unload Read, Flip and Jori to teams needed help at F for the playoffs and get a couple more picks....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bardreau is waiver exempt like Veechione. So pretty tough to see them both making the team with so many bodies that can't pass through waivers.

Ultimately there's enough talent joining the pro level whether it be the NHL or AHL this year & it's not going to stop next year either that guys like those two, Leier, Fazleev, etc. who are really limited upside guys might never really get much of chance.

Last edited:

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I don't think we need any more UFA forwards, in fact we need to trade a couple.

Assuming Weal doesn't sign with Flyers:

Lindblom-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Konecny
Filppula-Patrick-Simmonds
Lehtera-Laughton-Weise
Read-Vecchione-Lyubimov (is it possible he accepts the QO and comes back?)

That's already enough. If there are injuries, I really want to see Bardreau and Leier get a shot this year. McDonald and Knight can play in a pinch and Aube-Kubel and Martel are not far off. Vorobyov might be too good for the AHL - do we keep him there for the full year if he's tearing it up?

I'd rather roll with what we have, Weal or not, and then do some call ups to see if we have more NHLers ready. Certainly Leier and Bardreau have earned a shot as 4th line PKers, haven't they?

At TDL we may be able to unload Read, Flip and Jori to teams needed help at F for the playoffs and get a couple more picks....

Idk how you can say you'd rather have Raffl, Leier and Bardreau over Williams.

Williams would be a super solid pickup.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except the only way you could entice Williams would be too much money, otherwise he'll go to a cup contender at age 36.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Except the only way you could entice Williams would be too much money, otherwise he'll go to a cup contender at age 36.

I agree. I would love bring in Williams to mentor the young players but I'm not sure what incentive he has to come to a team who probably doesn't make the playoffs.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Flyers certainly have a chance to be a playoff team, provided they don't screw the pooch with the goalie situation.

Flyers are probably still a couple years away from making any real noise, but they're no bottom feeder. While I agree that Williams likely wants to go to a contender, he does have 3 Cups already, and if there's 1 single team in the NHL he might loosen that requirement on, it would be the Flyers for the personal reasons. He'd make such an awesome veteran compliment to Patrick. Heck, any of the centers.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The only way I see Williams signing with the Flyers is if they pay him as much or more than anyone else, and/or he really likes the idea of potentially finishing out his career where he started it. I agree though, he would make a great guy to have around the young players for a couple of years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's not so much about the organization & people in it that he has connections too (Hextall, Homer, & Clarke). He still lives in New Jersey by Atlantic City in his offseasons. His wife is from the area. So there's personal connections that go beyond the Flyers too for him here.

Obviously from the Flyers standpoint he'd be a fit on & off the ice with all the young players expected in the lineup this year.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It's not so much about the organization & people in it that he has connections too (Hextall, Homer, & Clarke). He still lives in New Jersey by Atlantic City in his offseasons. His wife is from the area. So there's personal connections that go beyond the Flyers too for him here.

Obviously from the Flyers standpoint he'd be a fit on & off the ice with all the young players expected in the lineup this year.

I would much rather have Williams than Weal and to be quite honest there definitely isn't room for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad