Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
deadhead said:
Like I said, it's a tradeoff, or a spectrum.

Ha ha, I get it.

deadhead said:
That is, if you have toughness without skill, you're probably not going to win, if you have skill without toughness it's going to be tough to get through the playoffs.

So you're trying to balance the two, but different teams put more emphasis on one or the other. The Kings were a physical team that had elite scorers, but weren't as fast as Chicago or Pittsburgh. Both ways worked. I'd just enjoy winning the Kings way more.

And I think Hextall agrees, while he's drafted some small, fast guys (Kase, Marody) he's also drafted a bunch of physical scorers like Bunnyman, and guys with size and speed like Rubtsov. Same on defense where he's gathered big, mobile defensemen.

I agree with the bolded. I don't see the refereeing philosophy to "let 'em play" in the postseason, even in the face of blatantly obvious infractions, anytime soon. And the 4 rounds really are a war of attrition.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course you get it.

"Only the Lord Saves More than Bernie Parent"

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes, but he was great on a team with even worse defense than what we had here.....the shootout needs to go anyway, that **** is awful to watch in General

For sure the shootout blows but Lehner could cost us anywhere from 5-10 points alone with his inability to make a save.

There has to be a better option.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Mason was very good in the shootout in 16-17 actually

giphy.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is a CHL coach viewed as a better coach than a college coach?

He has to be better than one college coach I can think of :laugh:

It really is potentially exciting to bring him into the fold - I have read the articles that people have linked on here about him and he seems like a really modern, progressive thinker - kind of in the Cooper mold maybe? That might be a reach, I don't know, but he definitely gets the boys playing fast. If he could mesh what I have seen of his style with the better angels of Hacksaw's nature (getting the defensemen pretty heavily involved), it could be a pretty interesting mix.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not that he'll do this, but what PP unit would do better?

Ghost, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek + anyone not named Giroux

or

Giroux + anyone not named Ghost, Schenn, Simmonds or Voracek

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Not that he'll do this, but what PP unit would do better?

Ghost, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek + anyone not named Giroux

or

Giroux + anyone not named Ghost, Schenn, Simmonds or Voracek

I think the 2nd one will. Our pp was successful before ghost. Our pp relies on G and simmonds. The others can be swapped out (not all 3 at once). Very similar to schenn for harty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad