The Athletic - Boston Fluto's Mailbag: What’s the Bruins’ plan? Why no rebuild? Who’s getting traded?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The NHL is well into summer mode. The Bruins may not be.

They still have to sign Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. They would like to extend David Pastrnak. Pavel Zacha needs a new deal. At some point, the Bruins have to clear cap space, either before the season or after Matt Grzelcyk, Brad Marchand and Charlie McAvoy return.

As such, subscribers have plenty of offseason questions.

Imagine it’s June 2023 and the Bruins are hoisting a Stanley Cup. You’re writing your story. What happened to make this possible? What does your piece say? — Neil S.

Jeremy Swayman turned into Patrick Roy. Grzelcyk, Marchand and McAvoy came back even better from their surgeries. Pastrnak scored 60 goals. Bergeron and Krejci used their canes … er … sticks to produce at just under a point per game. Jake DeBrusk, Trent Frederic and Jack Studnicka ran through walls for Jim Montgomery. Everyone stayed healthy.

Most of the reporting about the recent coaching change with the Bruins was solely based on public comments from the GM and Cassidy. What do you think the sentiment of the room behind closed doors was about Cassidy? How do you think the group felt when it was announced he was moving on? — Paul T.

DeBrusk was the only player who made his trade request public. I would not be surprised if there were others who kept their wishes quiet but had grown weary of Cassidy. Do not believe there were many who were crying when they made the move. But Bruce had at least two powerful allies in Marchand and Pastrnak. They were big Cassidy proponents, especially Marchand.

As Peter Chiarelli’s former boss and now Don’s current boss, why doesn’t Cam Neely share more blame for the problems the team faces from poor cap management, poor drafting and poor player development? Those GMs were enabled by someone to make the decisions they made (over and over and over). — Max L.

Neely only has to report to Charlie and Jeremy Jacobs. He has both of their backing. They are happy with his job performance.

Do the Bruins have any plans to address the chronic bad ice at TD Garden? Many believe the Olympia machines are inferior to a Zamboni. Montreal, Toronto and Calgary tried Olympia and switched back. — Kevin V.

The organization believes this is more about the building than the ice resurfacers. They’ve tried lowering the temperature and increasing the dehumidification. It’s simply an old building. Do not know if switching to Zamboni is under consideration.

Download the entire article as a PDF

Attachments

• Fluto720.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 18

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Seemingly confirming that Charlie misspoke when he stated that the President is accountable to the GM. Most figured he meant the opposite.

It was pretty crazy when the Braves announced they were moving on from Turner Field.
I know it was for different reasons, but perhaps these venues will have much shorter shelf lives than the buildings that preceded them.

Reactions: Gordoff

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Cassidy thing makes perfect sense. Marchy and Pasta got ice time and huge pp time increases under Cassidy.
I wish ownership would just spend to replace the ice plant already. They may not think so, but this is going to cost them in terms of free agents and injuries.
what's Plan B, if the Garden has to be upgraded in mid season, as an example, it's busiest time of the year, some of you forget you have two tenants, in the Garden not just one

Reactions: Gordoff

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
what's Plan B, if the Garden has to be upgraded in mid season, as an example, it's busiest time of the year, some of you forget you have two tenants, in the Garden not just one
No, I did not forget. It's their problem. They used Jacobs' money so they cheaped out on the ice plant-among other things. Their problem and they have to find a solution. The solution is to hope the relationship thaws with the Celtics haha, take a summer and replace the ice plant.
I am a big Celtics fan, as you know, but let them play elsewhere for a month or two if necessary. Best case scenario, do it in a year when the Celtics are not contenders.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Going to cut Fluto some slack - he knows when he wrote original article a lot of information hadn’t surfaced

Also it’s 99% probability his source was Cassidy and when he contacted the Bruins to refute he got no response

The Bruins didn’t want a pissing contest they couldn’t win anyways and are ecstatic Cassidy is off on he books and in Vegas

They also knew how they got there and would not have to say a wire they had 20 plus players and coaches who could eventually talk

I may have missed it but I have yet to hear one player or coach offer up any comment on the departure

I’m sure someone will or has said something positive someday but it will be in reply to worded question at TC no one wants to step in

I remain very confident Jack Eichel between July 4 2024 and July 4 2026 will be a Boston Bruins

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Going to cut Fluto some slack - he knows when he wrote original article a lot of information hadn’t surfaced

Also it’s 99% probability his source was Cassidy and when he contacted the Bruins to refute he got no response

The Bruins didn’t want a pissing contest they couldn’t win anyways and are ecstatic Cassidy is off on he books and in Vegas

They also knew how they got there and would not have to say a wire they had 20 plus players and coaches who could eventually talk

I may have missed it but I have yet to hear one player or coach offer up any comment on the departure

I’m sure someone will or has said something positive someday but it will be in reply to worded question at TC no one wants to step in

I remain very confident Jack Eichel between July 4 2024 and July 4 2026 will be a Boston Bruins
That’s great the players are happy. This coach will be judged developing young players and what they do in playoffs which I think they’ll be a WC team. I’m not interested if he’s a nice man or not . He will be judged on dubs. Plus not sure if I want Eichel he’s always injured. I said this once I’ll say it twice. I’ll say it a million times, I’m glad 37-46 could or might come back .. maybe but maybe not.. but I’m not sweating out two or close too 40 year old players. Don’t get me wrong they my favorites but I can deal with reality as well.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That’s great the players are happy. This coach will be judged developing young players and what they do in playoffs which I think they’ll be a WC team. I’m not interested if he’s a nice man or not . He will be judged on dubs. Plus not sure if I want Eichel he’s always injured. I said this once I’ll say it twice. I’ll say it a million times, I’m glad 37-46 could or might come back .. maybe but maybe not.. but I’m not sweating out two or close too 40 year old players. Don’t get me wrong they my favorites but I can deal with reality as well.
They are back- the Bruins are trying to clear space and thought they had Monday

Krejci isn’t 40 he’s 38 per Felger and turned 36 two months ago per hockey reference

He will play entire next regular season at 36

Not 38 but Felger likes the number and his loyalists here use the ‘close to 40.’

It’s amazing how many times I’ve heard Felger refer to Krejci & Bergeron as 38

I’m not knocking you a Felger & Mazz fan they are brilliant at what they do and shape Bruins fans opinions

I admit I love them at times - hilarious

Bergeron is still 36 years old today - not 40 but 36 is the new 40

As for Eichel I’ll be the one Bruins fan if that’s how it ends up excited to see him here

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
They are back- the Bruins are trying to clear space and thought they had Monday

As for Eichel I’ll be the one Bruins fan if that’s how it ends up excited to see him here
Naah, there might by 2-3 others excited too.

Reactions: bbfan419

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
“Simply an old building”…WTF? 😂
To be fair, and I do NOT like this ownership group one bit, but that was what I first thought.

Then I took a look and saw there are about 9 buildings in the NHL older than the Garden. Only MSG and Calgary are truly old (1968 and 1983). The rest that are older than us were built in early 90’s just a few years before the Garden.

Maybe the modern facilities are only good for 30 years or so?

Still, unless there are plans to build something new, seems like a someone somehow must be able to make better ice. If not, then what’s the point of owning a team if you can’t do the one thing that is truly necessary to give you home ice advantage — i.e. make the ice skatable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad