News Article: Fluto: Poor drafting has been holding Bruins back

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I like what they've done the last couple of years. There was an obvious stretch of futility though, so I don't disagree with Fluto

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
03-Bergeron
04-Krejci
06-Kessel-Lucic-Marchand
10-Seguin-Spooner
11-Hamilton
14-Pasta

Not many hits since Bergy. The last few years too early to call.

Looking at the names I listed, Shows how much only one hit can improve your team.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
03-Bergeron
04-Krejci
06-Kessel-Lucic-Marchand
10-Seguin-Spooner
11-Hamilton
14-Pasta

Not many hits since Bergy. The last few years too early to call.

Looking at the names I listed, Shows how much only one hit can improve your team.

We have drafted some decent NHL'ers in that time as well. We also traded away a good chunk of higher picks.

08 Colborne and Hutchinson both have had decent careers
05 Sobotka
04 Versteeg

Not much more juice but a little better

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I like what they've done the last couple of years. There was an obvious stretch of futility though, so I don't disagree with Fluto

I agree. Getting more or less nothing out of those 5-7 years has really hurt us. We've done well recently. Hopefully one or a few of Senyshyn/DeBrusk/Zboril/Lauzon/Carlo/JFK/etc. will exceed expectations, and we have another strong draft.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Sweeney said it would have cost all three first rounders to get into the top 8.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I think they need to do everything they can to get in top 10 in this years draft. Would be nice to see them draft Chychrun

I don't think we even need to get high enough for Chychrun.

I think Sergachev and Juolevi are also beasts and will be ready to play significant NHL minutes by 2017/18.

I strongly believe *one* of these three will be still available at 11-12. We only need to find a way to move up a few spots.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
I don't know if I would be as down on the B's draft as fluto.....they have had good and bad years...like every other team in the league. I would think that a more appropriate article would be about the mismanagement of assets (prospects) in exchange for the steadiness of veteran players, AKA....Clode's binkies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nothing new here in this article that hasn't been reported on or discussed repeatedly.

The Bruins drafting and development has stunk. Although I'd find it hard to even judge the 14 and 15 drafts considering they weren't that long ago. Now 07-13, they stunk, end or story.

Kranium

Mar 9, 2014
Arvika, Sweden
I don't think we even need to get high enough for Chychrun.

I think Sergachev and Juolevi are also beasts and will be ready to play significant NHL minutes by 2017/18.

I strongly believe *one* of these three will be still available at 11-12. We only need to find a way to move up a few spots.

Yeah, those are probobly also really good prospects that can jump in to the lineup in 17/18. I just want them to get high enough to atleast have the chance to draft one of the players mentioned above. Big question is...what would it take?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
We have drafted some decent NHL'ers in that time as well. We also traded away a good chunk of higher picks.

08 Colborne and Hutchinson both have had decent careers
05 Sobotka
04 Versteeg

Not much more juice but a little better

Colborne stinks. Bust as far as a first.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney insight on Pastrnak in the Detroit game, how Claude handles him- Sweeney frankness on where and what the perceive is gold

Fantastic info that I'm surprised he shared

Sweeney says San Jose pick was NOT available at the draft.

Murphy said it was in deal I can tell you when I talked to Dom that week he never said it was - very interesting

Sweeney has been on my radar for 30 years as someone I've been around and he is always been honest to a fault- he would make comments that were thoughtful and gave you more than you probably expected and sparked follow up

The comments on the recent draft class are interesting- DeBrusk & Carlo in Providence should be a fun watch- glad I renewed. I hope if Cassidy is promoted that Dean is the next coach

Zboril is the only one of the 6 that overly concern me

Very good read - Sharks screwed us. You are looking at a team that won only 18 of 41 home games going to Cup Finals.

Zboril does concern me a bit but the other 5 I think have a real shot and I'm still good with Zboril just the uncertainty of his future? Is he a KHL guy down the line. Something to me seems not right here

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Colborne stinks. Bust as far as a first.

Well considering he was on pace for about 20 goals and 50 points this season, I guess we can say any 1st rd forward who doesn't become a 60 + pt guy is a bust.

Relative to where he was picked (middle of the 1st rd.) Colbourne wasn't a bad pick at all, far from a bust. Sure there were better guys on the board, but you can say that about every draft.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks Fluto, had no idea this might have been a problem:sarcasm:

Fluto in the dog days of summer mode

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but I don't know how anyone could not read those quotes on Pasta or the blurb on the the pick not being in play at the deadline, DeBrusk & Carlo in Providence, that Bradley did the 2006 draft (to a point because Gorton went with Alexandrov over Lucic at 37 to Bradley's strong dismay)

He alluded to a potential drafting blunder taking a replacement for Hamilton instead of the best player in Connor

Three firsts the bounty to get the Columbus pick and take Werenski

Call me crazy but this was one super packed article

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but I don't know how anyone could not read those quotes on Pasta or the blurb on the the pick not being in play at the deadline, DeBrusk & Carlo in Providence, that Bradley did the 2006 draft (to a point because Gorton went with Alexandrov over Lucic at 37 to Bradley's strong dismay)

He alluded to a potential drafting blunder taking a replacement for Hamilton instead of the best player in Connor

Three firsts the bounty to get the Columbus pick and take Werenski

Call me crazy but this was one super packed article

I saw and read that too, liked that aspect but the article itself points out what many of us have seen and know about drafts prior to last summers, the B`s have been less than astute at the draft table. I am not nearly as down or concerned about the first 3 picks in round 1 as some here seem to be (not at all saying you are), absolutely love what the B`s did from round 2 onward as well.

Stocking up the cupboard, I just think Fluto rehashed for much of the article alot of things we fans already knew

Alexandrov.....yikes

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I saw and read that too, liked that aspect but the article itself points out what many of us have seen and know about drafts prior to last summers, the B`s have been less than astute at the draft table. I am not nearly as down or concerned about the first 3 picks in round 1 as some here seem to be (not at all saying you are), absolutely love what the B`s did from round 2 onward as well.

Stocking up the cupboard, I just think Fluto rehashed for much of the article alot of things we fans already knew

Alexandrov.....yikes
reading the comments I guess all this was out there; I been watching a lot of baseball and missed it.

2yrs2retire

Apr 7, 2013
Sorry, I must have missed the part of the season where Kaberle helped the Bruins win a Stanley Cup.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Every team has their misses but imagine how different things would be if they didn't miss on the following really bad picks?

2008 - 1st Round - Selected Colborne -- could have selected Eberle

2008 - 2nd Round - Selected Sauve -- could have selected Stepan, Hamonic or Scandella

2009 - 1st Round - Selected Caron -- could have selected Palmieri, Despres, or R. O'Reilly

2010 - 2nd Round - Selected Knight -- could have selected J. Faulk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad