The Athletic - Boston Fluto: If the Bruins want Jack Eichel, they need to act fast for the Sabres’ disgruntled center

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
what happens if Jacky boy doesn`t like the ice time distribution when Butch pushes Kuraly over the boards before him?
:sarcasm:

I get that Eichel has played for an inept organization but I still feel this is a guy who has an attitude, maybe I`m way off base

I think losing takes its toll. I think having terrible bosses takes its toll. I think being in any work environment that doesn't try to be professional and do a good job at whatever they do - takes it toll.

Then there's the part with him and surgery. Reminds me of Mike Gillis and Cody Hodgson.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I sign Krejci to a 11M/2y deal way before giving plenty of top assets for Eichel.

It would be great to have both. How, I don't know.

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pasta

Hall -- Krejci -- Smith

Ritchie -- Eichel -- Coyle

Kuraly -- Frederic -- Lazar

Yeah, throwing the new, franchise 10 mill center on the third line is going to raise some eyebrows, but in a way it protects the asset since he's a bit damaged goods and needs to show his injury concerns are a thing of the past. Plus, we know that the Hall/Krejci/Smith line works - finding wingers that can work with Krejci has been a 5 year chore. Even on the mend, Jack Eichel on his talent alone can carry Ritchie and Coyle, something that I don't think Krejci can do at this point. Plus, think of the mismatches...

Reactions: Shane Jazz

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It would be great to have both. How, I don't know.

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pasta

Hall -- Krejci -- Smith

Ritchie -- Eichel -- Coyle

Kuraly -- Frederic -- Lazar

Yeah, throwing the new, franchise 10 mill center on the third line is going to raise some eyebrows, but in a way it protects the asset since he's a bit damaged goods and needs to show his injury concerns are a thing of the past. Plus, we know that the Hall/Krejci/Smith line works - finding wingers that can work with Krejci has been a 5 year chore. Even on the mend, Jack Eichel on his talent alone can carry Ritchie and Coyle, something that I don't think Krejci can do at this point. Plus, think of the mismatches...

Well at this point you would have to sacrifice on the money in some areas, and Ritchie would almost certainly have to go. Possibly Coyle as well, although I guess you could save 5+ million by rolling the dice and going with a goalie pair of Swayman/Vladar.

And no matter how you look at it, there is no way this or any other team is going to put an almost 20 million dollar 3rd like on the ice, which is that you have

Last edited:

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He is a good player, but I don’t really care for him, and wouldn’t want that salary. They do need a second line center though depending on what Krejci does and what’s available

Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Well at this point you would have to sacrifice on the money in some areas, and Ritchie would almost certainly have to go. Possibly Coyle as well, although I guess you could save 5+ million by rolling the dice and going with a goalie pair of Swayman/Vladar.

And no matter how you look at it, there is no way this or any other team is going to put an almost 20 million dollar 3rd like on the ice, which is that you have

Teams don't put players on a line based on how much they make, they base it off of talent, chemistry with linemates, etc etc.

I get it.. 10 mill is franchise player money and you want that on your top line. But until Bergeron and/or Krejci leave, any center that gets brought in is either put on the wing or moved to the third line. I do think a Bergeron/Krejci/Eichel down the middle would dominate and give us another chance at a Cup.

I don't know about the cap structure and I wasn't taking that into account, just spitballing an idea about what it would be like to have both Krejci and Eichel on the ice after Bergeron.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I could be working for the biggest dumpster fire organization in the history of professional sports. And at 20 years old, if you handed me a piece of paper that I really hadn't earned, that offered me 80 million over 8 years, you'd have to shoot me to stop me from signing it.

I guess. I get the big money and long term, but where I choke on it is that he finishes his ELC and he can really cash in. The threat of RFA tender would be real, and he'd have been able to get more at that point had he waited. Especially if the org is truly a Mickey Mouse operation too. Now he's got to hope some other team wants him, with a bad neck, and a big contract, all while his value to Buffalo will be far greater than it would be to any other team. Buffalo can't give him away like Hall, because Hall was a rental and was guaranteed to walk at the end of the year. Eichel is already signed long term. They can wait and not move him, even if he holds out. His contract doesn't toll. It stays put. So they get what they want for him, which would have to be a gross over payment, or he sits and doesn't get paid. He's got very little leverage here, and it's all because he took the cash grab early. That's f***ing him over now.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Eichel doesn’t do anything for me with this CURRENT Bruins team.

You’ll have to gut your core and you picks/prospects to get Buffalo to trade within the same division. Too much risk in doing that and imo risk isn’t worth the reward. And you may have just shot your last few runs at the cup right in the foot. Not to mention the expansion draft and what that means to this team.

Eichel is a hell of a player but no. And that contract... It also turns into a NMC next year. So for right now Buffalo has all phone lines open to all 30 (31) teams.

Bruins game plan, to me, should be get Hall, Krejci and Rask (Carlo,Ritchie) all back here and keep running at this thing till the wheels fall off. Let Dealer Don do what he does best. And that’s getting his guys under good numbers.

LA and NYR makes more sense to me than here.
Not that it would ever happen but it would be hilarious if the Rags traded Adam Fox in a deal for Eichel...

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
IMO, the pursuit of Eichel would be contingent on the Bruins management team looking ahead beyond the current core and preparing for the future. Guys like Krejci and Bergeron may have a few years left, but we do not have a 1C for the future beyond that. The cost would be steep and would likely make us all very angry, but in the end this is a business and there's a small glimmer of a chance that the Bruins' brass will take a long hard look at acquiring him.

Reactions: Afam

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I really dont see a deal the Bruins could do to entice Buffalo above other suiters.
Boston needs a young top 6 center for the future, but we don't have a whole lot to trade for one.

The only way Pasta goes is if his injuries would affect him long-term and management knows about it ala Samsonov.

This is all offseason conversation bait anyways. I'll wait until then to tackle this idea.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would people think Eichel pursuing having an artificial disc in his spine rather than spinal fusion be a good thing or bad thing? Personally I would say it's a good thing even if it is a fairly new procedure. Sounds like the Sabres don't see it that way.

member 96824

I really dont see a deal the Bruins could do to entice Buffalo above other suiters.
Boston needs a young top 6 center for the future, but we don't have a whole lot to trade for one.

The only way Pasta goes is if his injuries would affect him long-term and management knows about it ala Samsonov.

This is all offseason conversation bait anyways. I'll wait until then to tackle this idea.

Yeah I agree here. Would be one thing if Eichel already had NTC, NMC protection (even then...doubt he's flexing it much to get out of Buffalo..more just like "we have deal 1 and deal 2...we like them both. Which do you prefer Jack?")

but EVEN if Buffalo undersells Jack Eichel, which I think the price will shock us at how cheap whoever gets him, gets him for... I don't see a world at all where Boston can put an offer on the table that beats say LA, NYR, or other rumored suitors for the goals Buffalo is looking to accomplish, which logically would be build a team around a Cozens/Dahlin/Power era.

The idea of Eichel is incredible though. If Boston can get him, instead of talking about a dip after the Bergeron/Krejci/Rask era, you're now talking about a transition to a Eichel/Pasta/McAvoy/Swayman era.

But a lack of tradeable assets in the org really makes this conversation purely hypothetical. Less than 2% chance of happening in my view.

Last edited by a moderator:

member 96824

Not to re-hash the Seguin trade, but before the actual details, people were talking about getting 3 1sts, getting Jamie Benn, "Wouldn't trade Seguin for anyone in the league except Doughty", Stamkos coming to Boston, Dreger said Boston's getting "Kings ransom", Hedman+3rd overall, Johnny Gaudreau+, HF insiders say he's not going anywhere at all, not being shopped but it's Chia's job to listen and take calls, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Price ended up being significantly less than all of that in real-time, diminished significantly as time went on. Will be the same situation here. Whomever gets Eichel, wins the deal.

member 96824

Don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, but I'd also think that the Bruins would need to overpay to get him simply based on the optics.

After getting fleeced in the Hall/Bjork deal, there is no way Adams, as a former Bruins draft pick, can trade Eichel here without having the chance at winning the deal by a fair margin.

It doesn't matter that he never played here --- he just can't risk losing two trades to a division rival in 3 months time.

Why's that?

Adams has to be feeling pretty good about that deal. If the "rumors" are correct that Hall would only accept Boston, he got a top 60 pick and a guy who scored more goals than Taylor Hall in less than half the games. Seems like a win-win to me...if you believe Hall was only willing to go to Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad