GDT: Florida @ Ottberia 7pm TSN5

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I agree with everything you post.

Only thing I'd add is from my perspective, is Brady's role as an enforcer. I don't want him to be a strict enforcer always stepping it up. But I'd like him to be able to answer the bell in an intelligent way that shows awareness of the game (which depends on whether we're losing, our stars are getting cheap shots, etc.,). Kinda like Iginla for CGY who would drop the gloves to whoops players that took cheapshots at his teammates.

I think Iginla is a good look for how Tkachuk should treat the physicality.

He was a top line player competing for the rocket Richard trophy... 81 career fights according to hockey fights.

He didn't not fight because he was a good player, but he learned how to pick and choose his spots and learned how to make it a momentum swinging moment. To stand up for teammates.

Not as a release to frustrations.

Reactions: WallyD and bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think Iginla is a good look for how Tkachuk should treat the physicality.

He was a top line player competing for the rocket Richard trophy... 81 career fights according to hockey fights.

He didn't not fight because he was a good player, but he learned how to pick and choose his spots and learned how to make it a momentum swinging moment. To stand up for teammates.

Not as a release to frustrations.

If he wants to mirror Iggy's game, I wouldn't mind a few 50g seasons either lol

Reactions: jbeck5

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I don't think Brady necessarily needs to fight his brother. I'm sure it's a very weird dynamic to do so. He should at least be physical with him. Throw a hit. Nudge him. Get under his skin. Compete against him. I think that would lay the friendly fire criticism off of Brady a bit.
Or maybe one of his other teammates can take care of it since Brady does it the other 78 games of the season. It shouldn’t always have to fall on Brady. If doing it against his brother is difficult for him then there are 17 other guys to take the heat off of him.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You don't fight your brother. Full stop.

Spoken like someone who's never had a brother lol.

You should YouTube Wayne Primeau vs Keith Primeau if you honestly think that. And then you'll see you're wrong.

Maybe players who aren't physical don't fight their brothers...but physical players will treat their brother like any other player in between the whistles and then can resume being brothers off the ice.

Reactions: Senscore

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

You should YouTube Wayne Primeau vs Keith Primeau if you honestly think that. And then you'll see you're wrong.

Maybe players who aren't physical don't fight their brothers...but physical players will treat their brother like any other player in between the whistles and then can resume being brothers off the ice.

I always saw that Primeau fight as kinda sad like they weren’t raised properly and don’t understand what they are playing for. First time they played and they fought even after their teammates tried to break them up - Keith went easy on him but such a stupid thing to do.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Or maybe one of his other teammates can take care of it since Brady does it the other 78 games of the season. It shouldn’t always have to fall on Brady. If doing it against his brother is difficult for him then there are 17 other guys to take the heat off of him.

I would be happy with this! Why wouldn't kastelic go take him on or something.
I always saw that Primeau fight as kinda sad like they weren’t raised properly and don’t understand what they are playing for. First time they played and they fought even after their teammates tried to break them up - Keith went easy on him but such a stupid thing to do.

Brothers are rare, but there are plenty of guys who grew up with each other and were best friends and then faught. They get over it and are buddies again after the game.

I don't think it's as serious as you make it sound.

Or look at the countless fights at practice between teammates.

They say it happens in the spur of the moment because they're both competitive guys who don't like losing an edge and they practice as hard as a game...

Take their word for it. I don't think it's as deep as you make it seem. Emotions flare. Heat of the moment. Things happen.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

I have a brother. And I have sons. Nobody f***s with the family. And you don't hurt your family to please whiny fanboys on Twitter or hockey forums.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
He's our only hope at Celebrini

There is another...

0130korpisalo-scaled-e1706571063101-20240129jpg

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Our team is too nice... Je T'aime Mon Amis.. is great IRL but not for winning hockey games.

Need more players like Greig who aren't here to make friends with the other team.

Reactions: lang006

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We got 12 HD chances to their 15? Wow. Some defensive collapses on both sides there.

Okay. We obviously can’t know if tkatchuk keeps the boys up at night. So. Perhaps.
Way to completely change the point you were making. We went from "we outplayed them" to "wow. some defensive collapses on both sides there". You still haven't made a compelling argument for the position you're taking and now you've basically abandoned that position altogether. What was the point of all this again?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Compare how Brady Tkachuk treats Matthew Tkachuk with how Chris Neil treats Tanner Glass.

I know. Chris Neil and Tanner Glass never seem to care about what Brady's parents think about them fighting. They just go out there and give it their all. It's the way it should be done. If I went through my life worrying about upsetting Chantelle Tkachuk, I would never get anything done.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Panthers have been among the worst teams in the league over their last ten, but we are the ultimtslumo Busters so you are probably right.
You nailed it!

wow

worst start ever?
The Fs coming back into our D zone are puck-watching and not covering anyone.

This shit has been going on for far too long under DJ and is continuing under JM.

WE need a coaching staff that does not tolerate this poor play on our D zone.

Reactions: lang006

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Oh 100% agree

Really miss the days of Methot, Volchenkov before, heck f*** even Phaneuf

These days you watch the Senators play and its free entries across the blue line, nobody pays a price in the Senators zone, in the corners, net front.

Personally I am not a big fan of Chabot, can see his skills, skating, transition, but he is always injured and cant even imagine him in a playoffs series

Lots of work needed for this team, plus it looks like they will hire another buddy buddy as coach
Hiring Gruden will likely occur and be a mistake.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I have a brother. And I have sons. Nobody f***s with the family. And you don't hurt your family to please whiny fanboys on Twitter or hockey forums.

You're supposed to say "except me!" Lol

I know. Chris Neil and Tanner Glass never seem to care about what Brady's parents think about them fighting. They just go out there and give it their all. It's the way it should be done. If I went through my life worrying about upsetting Chantelle Tkachuk, I would never get anything done.

Won't somebody PLEASE think about the Chantals?!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think effort level was an issue early in the season, they were just playing a style that was all about cheating for offense.
Plus Fs coming back into the D zone slot watching the puck but not taking/marking a man. They are still doing that with the new interim coaching staff.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Brady trying to pick a fight with Mikkola and Matthew going after Stutzle. After fighting Batherson and Sanderson he knows he can do what he wants.
We need more size and grit on this team, plus a big policeman to address that shit.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Was at the game. Sens didn't want to disrupt Brady's summer plans of cheering on FLA. Should have been a physical response all game on their top players after the run in Timmy in the first.

Guarantee Neil would have taken a nice run at one of their stars right afterwards to send a message.
Unfortunately we do not have a Chris Neil, Mat Carkner, Brian McGrattan, etc. on this team. WE have many soft players and a few pretenders.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Team needs a heart transplant.

Revamp the culture.

But how do you even do that?

Alfredsson, Giroux, Martin should have been enough.
Alfredsson is not experienced as an assistant coach. Martin at this age does not have his heart in it.

Speaking only for myself, I like how Brady doesn't cross the line.

Having said that, I'd love it if he crossed that line against other teams rats that have already done something dirty against us.

Only exception is Marchand or Wilson. He can headshot those guys preemptively and I'll be fine with it.
Brady should not be this team's enforcer; someone else should be hired to do it. We don't have one at this time.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Way to completely change the point you were making. We went from "we outplayed them" to "wow. some defensive collapses on both sides there". You still haven't made a compelling argument for the position you're taking and now you've basically abandoned that position altogether. What was the point of all this again?
If you read my other post. I say “maybe I was wrong”. I remember us playing quite well that game.

But now that you point out the HD shots lol. The panthers let us get 12. We let them get 15. Starting to not look so lopsided again. Didn’t seem like tkatchuk was in our head that game. We fought all game. Didn’t win. But certainly were scared out of not playing

It’s not a good matchup for us. That’s for sure. But I don’t think that’s because of Matthew tkatchuk scaring the guys.

Last edited:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
You don't fight your brother. Full stop.
This is a competitive sport, not playground stuff. If fighting your brother nets you a championship or wins you a series, you do it.
If hitting your brother hard gets you a series win or lowers his performance, you do it.
Professional level, leave the hand-wringing the door.

That said, they didn't lose tonight because Brady didn't go after Matthew non-stop, they lost because we're a team that is a while away while Florida's window is still open, for now.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Fighting is part of the sport of hockey.

I get not fighting your brother when you're on an outdoor rink, or playing shiny, or playing at the high school competitive level.

But when you make it your profession to be a professional athlete, you've got to do your job. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be a pro.

Not saying Brady has to throw knockout punches or hit his brother with a dirty hit or attempt to injure. You shouldn't ask anyone to do that against any opponent. But you finish your checks, play hard, and if a fight breaks out, you fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad