Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Then the tough question is:

.....keep Jalen for team morale in the locker room for a team that will not make the playoffs and only have him for the next three months of his career vs

.....perhaps getting a 3rd round pick in ‘18 or ‘19 for a Phoenix Roadrunners draft pick who we would have perhaps for the next 4-5 years

I lean toward the second option, but I think that is a very tough call, particularly with a fragile locker room in Flint.
Keep him. Morale is more important then the chance that 3rd becomes a good player

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Keep him. Morale is more important then the chance that 3rd becomes a good player
This assumes two things...

First, is a 3rd rounder all that he would fetch in return? Yes, he's only got a few months of Junior eligibility left, but he is an NHL signed level talent who, in the right situation, could help put a team over the edge.

Second, is he a positive factor in the morale department? I'd like to think so, but unless we're actually inside the locker room, we don't really know.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Deciding factor for me is, does Smerek bring pick(s) this year. If no, keep him, as there are lots of picks over ‘19, 20, 21

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
If you can get a 2nd rounder then make the trade if not then its not a good trade.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Deciding factor for me is, does Smerek bring pick(s) this year. If no, keep him, as there are lots of picks over ‘19, 20, 21
But...it would be in the Firebirds' best interest to stockpile '20/'21 picks to use for trades during the 2019-20 season, when they figure to be making a long playoff run.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...As far as OA's next year....Mattinen and Nilsen. Collins is not worth an OA spot and Kislinger is not worth an OA and an Import spot. Release both. Better options will be available for free off the waiver wire...
I agree...I really don't see any of them beyond Mattinen as "must haves", and I'm not even sure that I put him in that category. With Nilsen, it is what it is...he's here regardless. One player that I'd really like to see them make a run at is Ben Gleason from Hamilton. The Bulldogs have eight '98 born players, and will obviously have to trim that down to only three. Gleason is one of those '98s. He's from Ortonville, so he'd be coming home to play in Flint. A defensive top-6 of Mattinen, Gordeev, Gretz, Gleason, Busby, and Nilsen/Alexandrov sounds pretty good to me, and like Savard18 pointed out, it also opens up an Import spot that they can fill by not bringing back Kislinger.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Was too busy to watch the Sarnia game and was out of town for tonight's Erie contest. Man, the boys gotta quit giving one up immediately following a Flint goal. I only watched highlights but Smereck got walked around pretty bad on that one. Wish they would have clawed back two points on Erie instead of just one. Still, a win is a win and it was good to see highlight real goals from Keppen and Wismer. Those two youngins have been looking better and better lately. How'd the team ACTUALLY look apart from just the highlights?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Was too busy to watch the Sarnia game and was out of town for tonight's Erie contest. Man, the boys gotta quit giving one up immediately following a Flint goal. I only watched highlights but Smereck got walked around pretty bad on that one. Wish they would have clawed back two points on Erie instead of just one. Still, a win is a win and it was good to see highlight real goals from Keppen and Wismer. Those two youngins have been looking better and better lately. How'd the team ACTUALLY look apart from just the highlights?

First period was solid, 2nd was meh, 3rd was great. Tons of shots, not a lot of high quality chances, until the 3rd.

I really like the fact they are basically going every other game with the goalies.

Seems like once Wismer got his first goal, he turned a major corner confidence wise. He's showing some promise now.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
First period was solid, 2nd was meh, 3rd was great. Tons of shots, not a lot of high quality chances, until the 3rd.

I really like the fact they are basically going every other game with the goalies.

Seems like once Wismer got his first goal, he turned a major corner confidence wise. He's showing some promise now.
Yeah, I was a bit harsh on Wismer early on and he HAS slowly been looking better and better. Getting him going is going to help.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
This assumes two things...

First, is a 3rd rounder all that he would fetch in return? Yes, he's only got a few months of Junior eligibility left, but he is an NHL signed level talent who, in the right situation, could help put a team over the edge.

Second, is he a positive factor in the morale department? I'd like to think so, but unless we're actually inside the locker room, we don't really know.

Maybe he's changed as a person in the last couple years, but I know Smereck was traded from Oshawa because of his negative impact on the room

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Maybe he's changed as a person in the last couple years, but I know Smereck was traded from Oshawa because of his negative impact on the room
I remember DeAngelo was like that several years ago, had a bad attitude until he was traded to the Hounds, seemed to have an entire 180 on his entire morale when he was with the right team (and right coach).

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I seem to recall a discussion about some of the treatment he used to get there because of his race. Rumor was a few slurs were thrown his way. Can't really speak to the truth of any of that but if it is true and I can certainly see how it could be then I can see his attitude in the room not being good. I know mine wouldn't be if I were in that position. There have been no whispers at all about anything like that in Flint. In fact word was he was thrilled to be back in the US near home. I highly doubt he would have gotten the C if he were a negative in the room.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
I also have been impressed with Wismer of late. I think Keppen is going to be a beast. Late in the game against Erie their defense had to take 2 holding penalties to stop him from driving to the net. It was the only way they could stop him.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Eric Uba is back with his Junior A Wellington Dukes. He will be able to play a certain number of games with the Firebirds this season and then play full-time next season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Eric Uba is back with his Junior A Wellington Dukes. He will be able to play a certain number of games with the Firebirds this season and then play full-time next season.
So, you were correct early on. He didn't get a ton of time and had a couple small mistakes but looked good. You could see his potential for sure. He's going to be a nice full time addition next year. As far as Smereck, he is older. Has spent time at pro camps now and you can see his dimeanor on the ice and interactions with his teammates. We can't be for sure that he's Messier in the locker room but you can see enough on the ice and bench where I'm leaning more in the direction that he's a positive impact. You can't argue with the team's attitude and results since him and Roberts showed up and Caamano and Moore were shipped out.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I seem to recall a discussion about some of the treatment he used to get there because of his race. Rumor was a few slurs were thrown his way. Can't really speak to the truth of any of that but if it is true and I can certainly see how it could be then I can see his attitude in the room not being good. I know mine wouldn't be if I were in that position. There have been no whispers at all about anything like that in Flint. In fact word was he was thrilled to be back in the US near home. I highly doubt he would have gotten the C if he were a negative in the room.

Highly, highly doubt that has any truth to it. Also doesn't seem that Serron Noel seems to have problems, as he's constantly expressing how much he loves being on the Gens.

Probably did really help Smereck going back closer to home and maturing through NHL camps the last couple years

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Highly, highly doubt that has any truth to it. Also doesn't seem that Serron Noel seems to have problems, as he's constantly expressing how much he loves being on the Gens.

Probably did really help Smereck going back closer to home and maturing through NHL camps the last couple years

I chalked it up to someone talking out their backside at the time. Completely forgot about it until your comment about him being a negative in the locker room.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

"In the trade, Flint receives defenseman Riley McCourt from Hamilton. In addition, the Firebirds receive Hamilton’s second-round pick in the 2023 OHL Priority Selection and Hamilton’s fifth-round pick in the 2023 OHL Priority Selection. In return, the Firebirds trade defenseman Nicolas Mattinen to Hamilton. Should Mattinen play his overage season with the Bulldogs, Flint would also receive Hamilton’s second-round pick in the 2024 OHL Priority Selection."

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
After the Hamilton trade on January 9th. Picks for Flint:

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Mississauga 3rd
Flint 4-15th

Flint 1st
Kitchner 2nd
Hamilton 2nd
Flint 3rd
Sudbury 3rd
Oshawa 3rd
Niagara 3rd
Flint 5-15th

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Sault Ste. Marie 2nd
Flint 3rd
Hamilton 3rd
Flint 4th
Flint 5th
Kitchener 5th
Oshawa 5th
Flint 7-15th

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Niagra 2nd
Kitchener 3rd
Flint 3rd
Flint 4-15th

Flint 1-15th

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Hamilton 2nd
Flint 3-5th
Hamilton 5th
Flint 6-15th

Last edited:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Funny how our teams are slowly becoming a hybrid of one another.

Could someone provide a synopsis on Mattinen? I've read around and see that he's a big physical guy with a hard shot. Just wondering what his skating is like and how he is defensively. Does he block shots? What areas of his game needs improvement? Thanks

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
After the Hamilton trade on January 9th. Picks for Flint:

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Mississauga 3rd
Flint 4-15th

Flint 1st
Kitchner 2nd
Hamilton 2nd
Flint 3rd
Sudbury 3rd
Oshawa 3rd
Niagara 3rd
Flint 5-15th

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Sault Ste. Marie 2nd
Flint 3rd
Hamilton 3rd
Flint 4th
Flint 5th
Kitchener 5th
Oshawa 5th
Flint 7-15th

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Niagra 2nd
Kitchener 3rd
Flint 3rd
Flint 4-15th

Flint 1-15th

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Hamilton 2nd
Flint 3-5th
Hamilton 5th
Flint 6-15th

Lots of 2019's and 2020's to trade when making a run in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad