Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
You guys are going to love Eric Uba!

Starred last season with the Ayr Centennials. A powerhouse C team located like 10 mins from Kitchener.

He played 85% of the season last year as a 15 year old and put up 62 points.

Great signing. Still 1.5 seasons away from being Draft Eligible.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
You guys are going to love Eric Uba!

Starred last season with the Ayr Centennials. A powerhouse C team located like 10 mins from Kitchener.

He played 85% of the season last year as a 15 year old and put up 62 points.

Great signing. Still 1.5 seasons away from being Draft Eligible.

Thanks. I did not realize he was a late birthday/2019 draft eligible. That's good news. I just recently came across a list of the 2016 and 2015 Flint draft picks and searched their stats via EliteProspects. Not the best way to assess kids, I know, but a lot of the kids that we thought might turn out and or produced decent numbers last year aren't really putting up great numbers this year. Uba and Braydon Leeking were two that had nice looking numbers and the potential to actually sign with the club. Hopefully he adjusts to the OHL well. He looked good in preseason and a few of us were a bit surprised he didn't make the team out of camp. Congratulations and welcome to Flint Eric!

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Thanks. I did not realize he was a late birthday/2019 draft eligible. That's good news. I just recently came across a list of the 2016 and 2015 Flint draft picks and searched their stats via EliteProspects. Not the best way to assess kids, I know, but a lot of the kids that we thought might turn out and or produced decent numbers last aren't really putting up great numbers this year. Uba and Braydon Leeking were two that had nice looking numbers and the potential to actually sign with the club. Hopefully he adjusts to the OHL well. He looked good in preseason and a few of us were a bit surprised he didn't make the team out of camp. Congratulations and welcome to Flint Eric!

Yes, sometimes mainly because of misleading stats.

But he played a lot in the bottom 6. That top 6 AYR had was packed. So his stats are pretty impressive.

He's going to be great for you guys. I actually like this signing. He is the right age too. I think Flint is going to have a pretty impressive team in 2 seasons!

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Makes me wonder if a trade is coming

I don't think so. With Busby being out for the year. Gretz with the upper body injury and Max in Germany for a Tournament, they are short on bodies. Guys are playing everyday. This gives them the body to move Collins back to D where he has been bouncing all year.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I'm hearing Uba will be with Flint for just a couple of games and then returned to Wellington. He will be a full-time Firebird next season.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Very entertaining game tonite. If this team learns to finish their scoring chances they are going to be dangerous.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Been looking pretty good since the Roberts trade but that horrendous 15 game stretch is gonna be really tough to overcome. They've been fun to watch lately and have been outperforming their opponents more often than not even if the final score and record don't really reflect that. Like Gensdef said, if they start to finish....

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Man. How many times can you choke away a lead or a tie score? #1 team in the CHL or not. They figured out how to finish tonight but just had too many defensive lapses. On to Saginaw. I'm beginning to wonder if we're starting to see the starters job slip away from Garrett. I'd feel bad for him after getting pretty much screwed over in favor of Hicks last year and just getting left out to dry more than any goalie ever for half of this season but Cavallin has looked good lately.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Savard i also feel for Forrest, but think its time to get Cavallin ready for next year if he is going to be the number 1 goalie next year. Need to get him as much experience as we can. Is that fair to Forrest? No it isnt. You are right last year he got screwed over in favor of Hicks.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Smereck... -16 in 14 games. Nobody else getting regular ice time is anywhere near this pace. Getting pretty tired of seeing this guy get 2 points but go -3 game after game. Needs to learn that every time he touches the puck, it doesn't need to look like the best hockey play ever made. Less flash, more results, please.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think a LITTLE of that can be attributed to getting more ice time than anyone on a struggling team but, yeah you're right. He's better at pulling it off than last year and gets away with it more often now but he's the same Jalen and its cost them a bit lately. It's why we figured he'd be returned to Flint this year and he was. He's been a solid leader though and is improved. I expected a bit more out of Gordeev this year too but it's yet to materialize.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Some important OHL dates coming up...
-Jan 5...World Junior players can be traded
-Jan 9...Last day to trade Over Aged players ('97 birth year)
-Jan 10...Last day to trade all other players

The Firebirds seem to be looking two years down the line, which means that any player born in '97 or '98 (except Nilsen, for obvious reasons) figures to be "in play" at the trade deadline. Of these players (Colella, Kislinger, Mattinen, Collins, Smereck, Forrest), I can see only Smereck and Mattinen bringing a return that would make a deal worthwhile. Do you think any of these guys will get moved at the deadline???

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Some important OHL dates coming up...
-Jan 5...World Junior players can be traded
-Jan 9...Last day to trade Over Aged players ('97 birth year)
-Jan 10...Last day to trade all other players

The Firebirds seem to be looking two years down the line, which means that any player born in '97 or '98 (except Nilsen, for obvious reasons) figures to be "in play" at the trade deadline. Of these players (Colella, Kislinger, Mattinen, Collins, Smereck, Forrest), I can see only Smereck and Mattinen bringing a return that would make a deal worthwhile. Do you think any of these guys will get moved at the deadline???

Mattinen would be more valuable kept for next season than traded, imo. I can see there being enough interest to make a Smerek trade worthwhile

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Mattinen would be more valuable kept for next season than traded, imo. I can see there being enough interest to make a Smerek trade worthwhile
I with you on those thoughts. That would have them looking at Mattinen, Nilsen and Collins/Kislinger as next year's overagers, baring any changes in roster.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don't think Jalen will be enough of a presence to get them into the playoffs but I think keeping him around will help them keep pace/close the gap with the teams that are going to finish 9th/8th/7th and keep the morale in the locker room up. I think you'd risk it sinking considerably if he were to be traded and I don't see the return he'd fetch being worth it. Mattinen will only cost a conditional 3rd if he returns as an OA next year and I think he will. I wouldn't move him either. If a solid young D + picks package were to be offered for either they'd have to consider it though. As far as OA's next year....Mattinen and Nilsen. Collins is not worth an OA spot and Kislinger is not worth an OA and an Import spot. Release both. Better options will be available for free off the waiver wire, let alone what they could score for a 3rd or 4th round pick a few years down the road.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Then the tough question is:

.....keep Jalen for team morale in the locker room for a team that will not make the playoffs and only have him for the next three months of his career vs

.....perhaps getting a 3rd round pick in ‘18 or ‘19 for a Phoenix Roadrunners draft pick who we would have perhaps for the next 4-5 years

I lean toward the second option, but I think that is a very tough call, particularly with a fragile locker room in Flint.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Anybody coming up to Sarnia for the game today? 6pm start as well as Gold Medal World Juniors game being shown on the new video board right after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad