Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryWhalersFan

Nov 22, 2014
Rumor is according to OHLInsiders, Vili Saarijarvi will not return to Flint next year. Apparently, the Detroit Red Wings don't trust Nilsen. The same source also said Sergei Kharin was hammered at the alumni game as well.

Either the league must find a way to remove Nilsen and Kharin and his cronies from ownership, or the team may end up folding and relocated to a more suitable location. There's no way the league can afford to continue to leave this team in Flint after this season as long as Nilsen is there.
That was what I originally heard as well but recently heard they want him out now. Not sure how that would work. With him not being back that makes defense a big question next year since Peters will likely be gone as well and hearing rumors that Greenway won't report. Plus with Bitten not sounding interested in returning, makes the 2016-2017 season lineup look pretty empty, regardless of the barn they play out of.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Timmins is not an option--it couldn't support a Tier 2 team, plus travel costs are too high, and most southern Ontario owners would cry foul.

Again, as with so many of the other "facts" you've raised, you are completely incorrect.

Timmins is 2nd in league attendance in the NOJHL and has, by far, the highest single game attendance number in the league this year.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
That was what I originally heard as well but recently heard they want him out now. Not sure how that would work. With him not being back that makes defense a big question next year since Peters will likely be gone as well and hearing rumors that Greenway won't report. Plus with Bitten not sounding interested in returning, makes the 2016-2017 season lineup look pretty empty, regardless of the barn they play out of.

And it's likely that this story isn't done--there's a good chance that a lot of draft picks for the 2016 Priority Selection Draft are being told by agents and their parents not to report to Flint if they're picked.. especially if Nilsen is still there. Plus, there's likely legal action by both the OHL and Nilsen, especially if Nilsen tries to regain control of the franchise.. this could be a big mess for Branch.

Folding the team may be the league's only realistic option.. Nilsen is unlikely to let the team play out of HIS arena next year (he owns it) unless he's running the team.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Wow. I have been out of town on a cruise for a week with no Internet access, so I am just now seeing this story. I would like to extend my sympathies to the Flint fans who have been supporting their new team despite the horrible ownership. Hopefully things will work out, but I fear the worst for Flint. I cannot see the team being successful with Nilsen as owner, and cannot see how the franchise can stay there with a different owner, since Nilsen owns the arena. This is an unbelievable story, and really sucks for Firebirds players and fans.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Again, as with so many of the other "facts" you've raised, you are completely incorrect.

Timmins is 2nd in league attendance in the NOJHL and has, by far, the highest single game attendance number in the league this year.

And would be blocked by the majority of the OHL--southern Ontario and US owners would never approve a team in Timmins due to travel costs.

Oh, and FYI, Wellington and Trenton of the OJHL(areas formerly served by Belleville) are averaging similar amounts to Timmins.. so your argument doesn't work.

Look, if you want to talk relocation, do it on the OHL realignment thread, not here.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
digiblader sounds like he is the president of the committee to get Flint out of the OHL. Keep it up digiblader. You may get your wish. Keep working at it.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
digiblader sounds like he is the president of the committee to get Flint out of the OHL. Keep it up digiblader. You may get your wish. Keep working at it.

Give it a rest already.. but realistically, Branch has his hands full trying to keep the team in Flint.. Nilson will do everything to regain control of the team, even if he has to take it to court. It could get quite ugly.. leaving this team in limbo. They'll finish the season out--but 2016-17 is a bit of a quagmire at the moment. It will depend what happens this spring and summer..

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
Anyone have any injury updates. Haven't seen Caamano or Menna in the line up last three games. Anyone else out?

Firebird1

Sep 20, 2015
Caamano should be back soon, he skated this weekend. Expect to see him on Wednesday. Johnstone may be a bit longer. Didn't even know Menna was hurt, with Keyser back there really isn't a place for him....

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
And would be blocked by the majority of the OHL--southern Ontario and US owners would never approve a team in Timmins due to travel costs.

Oh, and FYI, Wellington and Trenton of the OJHL(areas formerly served by Belleville) are averaging similar amounts to Timmins.. so your argument doesn't work.

Look, if you want to talk relocation, do it on the OHL realignment thread, not here.

So your argument is "I'm wrong, but still...."

And I pulled the quote of yours out of this thread. Your posting all kinds of nonsense in all kinds of thread.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
More trouble for Rolf and Sergei--Wings alumni don't even want him now.

[Tweet]702354223481155584[/Tweet]

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Write up by London Knights play by play man Mike Stubbs

http://www.cjbk.com/blogs/2016/02/24/stop-the-bus

Excellent blog. I have written on this forum many times that I hope Flint can keep the team but lose the owner. The facility is great and the people there are even better. Yes, the city is much maligned, but so is Detroit, and I don't here anyone say why is the NHL there. Hang in there Firebirds Fans, you deserve to have the OHL.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Excellent blog. I have written on this forum many times that I hope Flint can keep the team but lose the owner. The facility is great and the people there are even better. Yes, the city is much maligned, but so is Detroit, and I don't here anyone say why is the NHL there. Hang in there Firebirds Fans, you deserve to have the OHL.

Lotto Max is at $50 Million.. If I won I'd by the team and arena and keep them in Flint . .my son is too old and I'm 15 years away from my grandson being eligible to play :)

I'd just need to find a way to hide the purchase from my wife

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So let's pretend the Firebirds situation gets resolved somehow and remain......a ton of draft picks this year, the GM? Assistant GM? Director of Scouting?, Stefan is behind the bench and I'm sure has his hands full right now. I know there are other scouts, I wonder if they're actually out scouting during all this nonsense. I know I'd prefer Stefan was at MM tournaments and not running the team. It may be minor but it's gonna handicap the franchise somewhat no matter where they end up.

AngryWhalersFan

Nov 22, 2014
Anyone know what's up with Brent Moran? After his loss to the Knights last weekend he hasn't been in the lineup. Keyser has played the games and Menna has been on the bench. Did he suffer an injury?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Anyone know what's up with Brent Moran? After his loss to the Knights last weekend he hasn't been in the lineup. Keyser has played the games and Menna has been on the bench. Did he suffer an injury?

Caught a slap shot in the mask. It was loud. He stayed down and trainer came out but stayed in the game. Made a save just a few moments later and took a long time to get back to his feet. Concussion maybe? He was moving around fine and looked ok in street clothes at the arena Friday.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
More trouble for Rolf and Sergei--Wings alumni don't even want him now.

[Tweet]702354223481155584[/Tweet]

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but how are either of these guys even in the Red Wings Alumni Association?

As far as I know, neither of them ever played for the Red Wings.

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but how are either of these guys even in the Red Wings Alumni Association?

As far as I know, neither of them ever played for the Red Wings.

Nope neither ever played for them. Rolf's wallet talks though. Since he was willing to spend such an outrageous amount to sponsor them, they were happy to put them on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad