Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
It has been reported that Phil Hagerman, CEO of Diplomat Pharmacy as well as Tom Gores, owner of the NBA’s Detroit Pistons were in attendance Saturday night for the Flint Firebirds game against Kitchener. Both Hagerman and Gores are extremely active in the Flint area. Per OHLInsiders. Diplomat Pharmacy is the United States largest independent specialty pharmacy and headquartered in Flint and Tom Gores grew up in the Flint area and attended Genesee High School. Very interesting.
Easy to talk about somebody else's money, but think the team, DFCU and Iceland would be well within Tom G's capabilites. As for Diplomat, was somewhat surprised they didn't wind up with naming rights on the arena last summer. Think an NBA owner in the OHL would draw some talent? Nice to dream...

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It is good to know things are going on behind the scenes to save Flint's OHL team. Rolf still worries me and the fuss he is going to make, further puttng Flint in the news for the wrong things. I hope he knows knowone, Flint fans, players, agents, and the OHL do not want him involved in any way, shape, or form. Do the right thing Rolf and sell the team!!!

letsgofirebirds1

Mar 15, 2016
So let’s see…
A team moves from Metro Detroit because they have troubles getting fans through the doors and difficulty with media attention so you move the team back to… Metro Detroit? Yes. I’m sure that would work. Plus, that arena would need much, much, more than $3 million to fix up. I have been there.

And once again, we hear the same old tired “Flint is a dangerous city†thing. I’d be ready to place money that, oh, about 90% of the people who say that haven’t been to Flint. They’ve just "heard" about Flint. Are there places in the city that aren’t the safest place to be? Yes. But it’s not like once you cross the city limits the guns are blazing everywhere and it’s like some third world country. There are places in the city of Flint where I would be perfectly comfortable sending my sons to live. And of course, there are places all around Flint that are fantastic as well. Plus, there are other major junior teams in places that aren’t necessarily known as the safest, most secure towns. Saginaw, Muskegon, and Youngstown come to mind. And yes. I have been to all three of those cities, so I am speaking from experience.

It burns me, as a Firebirds fan, that so many sports commentator talking heads and blog authors and whatnot who aren’t from Flint seem to not want junior hockey to succeed in Flint. How about instead of thinking of ways to get the team out of here that there is some thinking of ways that the team can stay here?

Let’s face it. We wouldn’t even be having these discussions if it weren’t for the owner. Junior hockey can work in Flint. Don’t give up on it.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
So let’s see…
A team moves from Metro Detroit because they have troubles getting fans through the doors and difficulty with media attention so you move the team back to… Metro Detroit? Yes. I’m sure that would work. Plus, that arena would need much, much, more than $3 million to fix up. I have been there.

And once again, we hear the same old tired “Flint is a dangerous city†thing. I’d be ready to place money that, oh, about 90% of the people who say that haven’t been to Flint. They’ve just "heard" about Flint. Are there places in the city that aren’t the safest place to be? Yes. But it’s not like once you cross the city limits the guns are blazing everywhere and it’s like some third world country. There are places in the city of Flint where I would be perfectly comfortable sending my sons to live. And of course, there are places all around Flint that are fantastic as well. Plus, there are other major junior teams in places that aren’t necessarily known as the safest, most secure towns. Saginaw, Muskegon, and Youngstown come to mind. And yes. I have been to all three of those cities, so I am speaking from experience.

It burns me, as a Firebirds fan, that so many sports commentator talking heads and blog authors and whatnot who aren’t from Flint seem to not want junior hockey to succeed in Flint. How about instead of thinking of ways to get the team out of here that there is some thinking of ways that the team can stay here?

Let’s face it. We wouldn’t even be having these discussions if it weren’t for the owner. Junior hockey can work in Flint. Don’t give up on it.

I'm just going to point this out, as much as I would like to see the team in Flint, most of what the author says is fact an quite frankly I won't argue that with you.

Something in and about Flint caused it to be one of the more dangerous places in the United States. That is a fact. And i'm sure that fact isn't based off of 2 or 3 people. Obviously sufficient evidence would warrant a claim like that.

2nd, It's not so much that people are giving up on Flint. It's the fact that your arena in Flint is owned by the guy who is getting his team ripped from his hands. In what world does anyone think that this team will still be playing in his arena with this on going battle? Rolf Nilsen (Sorry about spelling if wrong) is a billionaire, he don't care about the few million dollars he will lose from not having a team in there.

And where else in Flint can this team play out of next season? Nowhere.

Everybody wants to see this team stay in Flint, but at the end of the day they need a place to play and that may no longer be in Flint after this season and as much as it sucks to hear, you guys got to accept that cause it could happen.

I want to see the Flint Firebirds stay in Flint. I have been to Flint plenty of times. Especially when I spent time in states when I lived there. Ill be in the arena this Saturday and hope I can meet with you awesome fans and we can have a good discussion. The OHL has proven this year it will work in Flint. And hopefully that can continue. Lets just hope for the fans sake the league can deal with the team and hopefully find away that they can keep them in Flint.

I'll be cheering for ya's on Saturday!

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'm just going to point this out, as much as I would like to see the team in Flint, most of what the author says is fact an quite frankly I won't argue that with you.

Something in and about Flint caused it to be one of the more dangerous places in the United States. That is a fact. And i'm sure that fact isn't based off of 2 or 3 people. Obviously sufficient evidence would warrant a claim like that.

Detroit is more dangerous and yet it's considered #1 on the authors list

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I certainly would not renew my season tickets to watch ECHL hockey. I'm not interested in watching an entire season of hockey to maybe see 5-6 guys who might end up as 3rd-4th liners in the NHL. I rarely went to watch the ColHL-UHL Generals or Michigan Warriors. Like many ex hockey playing or serious hockey fan friends I know who have been attending Firebirds games regularly. They know that every single night at an OHL game, you are seeing a future NHLer. You won't be seeing Marner, Chychrun, Ho-Sang, Strome, Tkachuk in the ECHL. I certainly won't show up to put $ in Rolf Nilsen's pockets if the Firebirds move. I don't think many other residents will either. We've already seen a big dip in attendance after the second coaches firing. Attendance had really picked up in the few games just before that too despite their on ice struggles. I don't think Rolf cares as much about owning a hockey team as he does owning a team for his kid to play. Someone else pointed out elsewhere, that they saw the same thing I did....Rolf Nilsen visibly pissed off in the lobby after the Firebirds beat the Otters earlier this year. At the time, Erie was easily tops in the OHL and the #1 ranked team in the CHL. Really? You're pissed off after your team just beat the best Jr team in the world? With your 16yo goaltender who should be with you for the next 3 years in net? I also keep seeing it repeated he's a Billionaire. BILLionaire? From selling water tight doors? Maybe I guess. He's not so rich he can stop charging $10 for parking or repave the parking lot. Now there's a water leak above the ice surface too? Huh. New, elaborate state of the art facilities for locker rooms but it sounds like he didn't drop the $ for state of the art plumbing or a roof. Doesn't apparently have enough to pay the ushers either, instead relying on volunteers. One of his vintage Zamboni's went MIA forever too. That being said, I read from a local media outlet that he had actually spent $7 mill on upgrades and Hakon was quoted as saying "He hasn't been too happy about some of the bills." As far as the rest of the OTSN article, I didn't really take it as derogatory. It all depends on what part of the city you're in. Hockey does fine in Saginaw, Detroit, Los Angeles, Chicago, Youngstown, Milwaukee ect. Ever visited the neighborhoods around the Staples Center, United Center, BMO Harris or the Dow? I have and while they're cities I have always enjoyed visiting, it's not like Sarnia or Windsor are the Valhalla of North America. Sorry guys, I like both cities and arenas, just saying. As far as the articles relocation suggestions, none are very good long term options. Either replacing an OHL team that has already failed, outdated facilities that would need major upgrades or ones that would struggle to fill 25% of capacity. We'll see how things shake out but in my view, any solution that includes Rolf Nilsen is no solution at all. The next few weeks leading up to the draft should be interesting.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Hey Firebirds fans!

This was written by a writer from my site.

Please keep comments about it on the HFBoards clean!

http://overtimesportsnation.com/where-does-the-flint-firebirds-go-from-here/

I cannot see the hockey fans in Flint supporting another Nilsen-owned team (I certainly wouldn't if this was going on in Plymouth), so suggesting he relocate an ECHL franchise there and sell the Firebirds makes little sense. What makes more sense is for him to sell both the team and the arena. However, little of what this guy has done so far makes any sense, so who knows if logic will prevail this time.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
So let’s see…

They should never have moved out of Detroit in the first place. They were getting unbelievable growds.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I think a team downtown Detroit would pull and handle great crowds. it would give the residents downtown one more thing to do and keep people come back downtown. People can make a day/night cheaper than the Wings, and get the same atmosphere for the most part. Id love to see a team in Detroit area again. Plus kids might be more apt to play there to learn and see how a pro team functions, specially one with the cloat the RedWings have.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Obviously, I want Flint's OHL team to thrive and succeed without Rolf. However, I would support a ECHL team as would many (let's hope it NEVER EVER gets to that). Make no mistake though, I want Rolf to sell and the Firebirds to prosper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad