Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signs for 2 years, $3.5m AAV

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
You just kind of hope Wallstedt gets a shot this season and pushes one of them to the curb.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You’d think Guerin would’ve had that type of conversation with Talbot at their end of season meetings.

This is also exactly why I said the Wild should’ve traded Talbot instead of Kahkonen when they brought Fleury in.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good Lord.

As an ex goalie, who do you like more, Talbot or Fleury? I thought that Talbot was clearly the better guy at the end of last year, and is younger, with less wear, but maybe I am missing something.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As an ex goalie, who do you like more, Talbot or Fleury? I thought that Talbot was clearly the better guy at the end of last year, and is younger, with less wear, but maybe I am missing something.
Neither but I'd go with Talbot.

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
I thought Talbot was better too. He actually put in the work and earned his spot. MAF is just running on past reputation, which is a total slap to the face to Talbot.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Neither but I'd go with Talbot.

Neither are going to win us a cup, but based on the entire goaltending landscape, I would have done a lot of things different in hindsight. But to answer your question, I am taking Talbot here. He was far better down the stretch.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Neither are going to win us a cup, but based on the entire goaltending landscape, I would have done a lot of things different in hindsight. But to answer your question, I am taking Talbot here. He was far better down the stretch.
Lol I think the team should be renamed the Minnesota Hindsights

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Talbot has played alot. 73 games at one point in a season and had good stats in that post season for EDM. They rode that horse . He is getting older but the Wild Played him in 1 playoff game last season. Which means lack of trust. Dude I would want out but at 35 I really don't Know Goalies are cool and weird at the same time. Ex Goalie!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Goalies are only weird if they lose. If they win, they are the guys that you protect, and thank the Gods for.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I blame both BG and Talbot for this mess. Guerin made a bad assumption, while Talbot or his agent should have spoken up sooner as Billy had been quite clear from the start that he wanted to re-sign Fleury.
Or Talbot/his agent did speak up sooner, but Guerin ignored it. Guerin projected his want to re-sign Fleury, he blinked first though on signing back Fleury. It's such a baffling move.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Am I the only one that just doesn't care about Talbot? He's got one year left, won't be a goalie to carry us to the Cup... so who really cares?

Reactions: HobeyBroten

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Am I the only one that just doesn't care about Talbot? He's got one year left, won't be a goalie to carry us to the Cup... so who really cares?
Because you don't want to get a reputation around the league; agents/players talk about certain GMs. Cole did have good things to say about the Wild when he arrived (he mentioned that the Wild did not have a good reputation before he joined). But who knows now.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
"I bet Mrs. Talbot has already packed her bags" :laugh:

Cam, stop whining and be happy with your almost 3.5M next season. You really didn't impress me last season anyway.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

I just wish they would’ve avoided this entire situation by keeping Kahkonen and moving Talbot last season.

If the plan was to re-sign Fleury and roll with him in the playoffs, then it made much more sense to go with Kahkonen.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I blame both BG and Talbot for this mess. Guerin made a bad assumption, while Talbot or his agent should have spoken up sooner as Billy had been quite clear from the start that he wanted to re-sign Fleury.

How do you think Guerin would have reacted if Talbot went to him and said "hey don't sign Fleury, I don't want you to"?

No blame on Talbot here. All he can do is hope Fleury signs elsewhere. Now that he hasn't signed elsewhere, Talbot's agent can start putting pressure on Guerin to get Cam moved, if that's what they want.

Reactions: fredrikstad

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Talbot has played alot. 73 games at one point in a season and had good stats in that post season for EDM. They rode that horse . He is getting older but the Wild Played him in 1 playoff game last season. Which means lack of trust. Dude I would want out but at 35 I really don't Know Goalies are cool and weird at the same time. Ex Goalie!
But the lack of trust was inherently baseless. Down the final stretch after they acquired MAF, Talbot was better in every capacity/metric/etc, and they went with MAF because they had to save face. Starting Talbot in game 6 was a bullshit attempt to make it look like they are trying to adjust, knowing full well if he faltered Guerin can can say he tried Talbot.

I said at the time it was worth trying MAF, he wasn't good. But now we're doubling down and losing a goalie with pretty damn good playoff numbers (2.51GAA & .921sv%) and since this is so late in the process, we are going to have next to nothing to find a new backup. If the plan was to always resign MAF, then move Talbot from the beginning.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I just wish they would’ve avoided this entire situation by keeping Kahkonen and moving Talbot last season.

If the plan was to re-sign Fleury and roll with him in the playoffs, then it made much more sense to go with Kahkonen.
Guerin seems to hate goalies as much as Zimmer hated kickers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad