Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signs for 2 years, $3.5m AAV

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Am I the only one that just doesn't care about Talbot? He's got one year left, won't be a goalie to carry us to the Cup... so who really cares?
My only beef with this situation is that Fleury isn't the guy I'd cause an internal row over. As long as Guerin fixes it, whether that's with a trade or whatever else, it doesn't matter that much.

I do wonder if running a tandem next year was really Plan A for Guerin or if he was just trying to keep options open until he knew where Fleury would sign. If he genuinely thought keeping both around would be cool and it ended up like this.... not a great look.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Or Talbot/his agent did speak up sooner, but Guerin ignored it. Guerin projected his want to re-sign Fleury, he blinked first though on signing back Fleury. It's such a baffling move.
Oh it's very well possible that he ignored it. There could be a lot of things we don't know. What we do know is that Guerin told the media that he wanted both back. And now, we're in this mess. Brings back memories of the Manny/Roli/Backs debates.

I swear BG likes to create unnecessary drama. He just doesn't think ahead.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Oh it's very well possible that he ignored it. There could be a lot of things we don't know. What we do know is that Guerin told the media that he wanted both back. And now, we're in this mess. Brings back memories of the Manny/Roli/Backs debates.
Guerin could say he wants prime Gaborik back. Guerin went out of his way to get Fleury back (3.5 million for a goaltender clearly on the downswing is a lot for a team that is fighting against the cap). He also knew from last season Talbot wasn't happy about the situation.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Am I the only one that just doesn't care about Talbot? He's got one year left, won't be a goalie to carry us to the Cup... so who really cares?

In a vacuum, it doesn't really matter that much. Neither of them are gonna win a Cup here. But I like Talbot, he's a good guy, he's a good teammate by all accounts, he got the shaft at the end of last year because of Guerin's infatuation with Fleury, and I'm sympathetic to Talbot about the way Guerin has handled this.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well it’s not that bad yet. He’d have to put Wallstedt on waivers after a bad game to get to that stage lol.
That is fair, but NHL1674 does bring up something I was having trouble articulating; as a GM, you need to be good at negotiating and conflict management. Guerin doesn't seem to have those skills. You're either with him or you're not. He has his guys and he has Evason's guys and if you don't get on his side, you're out. There is no room for negotiation, no room for compromise. It's all or nothing. Fiala is a good marker on this.

Reactions: Spurgeon

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
In a vacuum, it doesn't really matter that much. Neither of them are gonna win a Cup here. But I like Talbot, he's a good guy, he's a good teammate by all accounts, he got the shaft at the end of last year because of Guerin's infatuation with Fleury, and I'm sympathetic to Talbot about the way Guerin has handled this.
It's strange. He is more concerned with giving other GM's fair deals, but doesn't always give the same respect to his players....examples being Talbot and Fiala.

Now if you're on his good side, he'll shake your hand and guarantee you an extension even if your play sucks....cough...Goli...cough.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
But the lack of trust was inherently baseless. Down the final stretch after they acquired MAF, Talbot was better in every capacity/metric/etc, and they went with MAF because they had to save face. Starting Talbot in game 6 was a bullshit attempt to make it look like they are trying to adjust, knowing full well if he faltered Guerin can can say he tried Talbot.

I said at the time it was worth trying MAF, he wasn't good. But now we're doubling down and losing a goalie with pretty damn good playoff numbers (2.51GAA & .921sv%) and since this is so late in the process, we are going to have next to nothing to find a new backup. If the plan was to always resign MAF, then move Talbot from the beginning.
It was always going to be contentious. Playing them back to back in the playoffs like in the regular season would not lead to this. Yet at the same time I wouldn't say Guerin had to put his foot down and say "Play Fluery" Eavson is in control and plays the Goalie he feels is in the right situation?

What other Goalie would you sugest as a backup? I think we are sitting pretty (pretty )compared to say EDM. Who knows maybe Jones gets a couple games this coming year. Goalies are cool and Weird. EX goalie.

Last edited:

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Agreed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4