Rumor: Flames will not trade Jacob Markstrom before trade deadline

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
You won’t be saying that when you get bounced in the playoffs round 1

Also doest Manchester have 10 losses already LOL
Jokes on you we wont make the playoffs and Im perfectly fine with it.

And what does that have to do with this?? Seems like your panties are in a bunch

• Haha
Reactions: Forge

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
FYI - everyone traded so far - and Hanifin - are the guys that wanted out. Came out today that Tanev had approached Conroy a long time ago and asked to be moved to a contender, and this is partly why Dallas got him and not someone like Edmonton. Tanev played hard, kept things to himself, and was a solid contributor. Hanifin has been more open with his wants, but he has played very well and not a single person can say he is sulking. Lindholm on the other hand...

As for Markstrom, he has been clear all along - he prefers to stay in Calgary. Rumor has it that he loves western Canada and wants to stay in this part of the country close to the mountains. He did have his wedding in Banff, FWIW, so maybe there is some modicum of truth in those rumors. Maybe he would love to go to Colorado? I have no clue.

If true, good on him for agreeing to be moved to NJ. Maybe you guys don't make the playoffs this year, or maybe you do and get bounced right away, or maybe you go on a long run this year - who knows? He wouldn't have waived (again, speculative??) if he didn't think you guys had a bright future sooner rather than later. Whatever is wrong with your team, hope Fitz fixes it quickly.

As for Markstrom to NJ - maybe it gets revisited in the summer. Maybe Calgary keeps him until his contract runs out. I can't speak for every Flames' fan, but the majority of Flames' fans were happy to see him go for a big return, otherwise happy to keep him as a mentor for Wolf. Sucks trying to develop players if your goaltending is so leaky that it rattles everyone from making mistakes. Tough environment to develop properly in.

Good luck the rest of the season Devils. Seems Conroy and Fitzgerald have a good working relationship - Conroy probably had everything to do with the Devils acquiring a 4th round pick just to eat 300K. The Toffoli trade, Markstrom talks - a lot of recent history here, and I would guess that Conroy and Fitzgerald are probably comfortable together. Makes me think that there may be something in the future beteween the two clubs (even ignoring Markstrom). Calgary is essentially kick-startng a retool/rebuild, and New Jersey has entered their competing window (even if this is perhaps a down year with injuries and so on). These are teams that will probably make good trade partners in the long run, as they are on opposite ends of the compete spectrums, and it definitely helps being on opposite ends of the continent where one mistake won't haunt you more than twice a year.

Reactions: HBK27 and Forge

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Further to this, Lebrun said the same thing. That the Devils called Flames the other day very interested in Markstrom. And the Flames said it would deflate the players and they are still looking at playoffs so not interested in trading him.

This is as classic Flames as it gets lol.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Further to this, Lebrun said the same thing. That the Devils called Flames the other day very interested in Markstrom. And the Flames said it would deflate the players and they are still looking at playoffs so not interested in trading him.

This is as classic Flames as it gets lol.
We still have never rebuilt. We've sold off UFAs too late a couple of times, but we've never actually rebuilt. How a team has a 43 year history and has only been a cup contender for maybe 10 of those years yet has never had a top 3 pick is beyond me. The goal of winning a cup needs to drive you. It's how Vegas won. They were relentless and demanded it. We're happy if we are competing for a playoff spot.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
You missed the boat Devils. Enjoy playing golf in April.
The boat sailed away in the summer when they could have had Hellebuyck. But the didn't want to give up Mercer. Most here said why give up anything good for a top 3 goalie in the league when we can just sign him for nothing once he hits UFA.

Reactions: Burkeocet

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The boat sailed away in the summer when they could have had Hellebuyck. But the didn't want to give up Mercer. Most here said why give up anything good for a top 3 goalie in the league when we can just sign him for nothing once he hits UFA.
Except the problem with Helle was that most devils fans didn't want the contract....

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Quite honestly, Vladar is already better than every single Devils goalie. Swinging for a midseason Markstrom trade was a questionable decision

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Quite honestly, Vladar is already better than every single Devils goalie. Swinging for a midseason Markstrom trade was a questionable decision

I don't know about that, but Fitz not doing something earlier with regards to the goalie situation is rough. I mean, even if I Don't think Vladar is "better than every single devils goalie", it's not like it was that difficult to find a guy that was.

Part of me wonders if Fitz is letting perfection be the enemy of better

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
If the offer for Markstrom isn’t amazing (and I doubt it is - it seldom is for goalies), then the Flames are under no pressure to deal him. They can revisit it in the offseason.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I suspect Saros will be looking for 8+ on his extension if you trade for him this summer

He wants the Helle deal I believe, which makes sense. I'm not keen on giving him that (i'm just not keen on giving that to many players period when they are in their 30's), but at some point real life comes into play, jobs are on the line, etc. So I understand why it changes for a guy like Fitz.

Reactions: crackdown44

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
LeBrun on the Athletic is saying the Devils would be willing trade for Markstrom without retention.

Honesty? The retention thing was always a little weird. The devils aren't really in bad cap shape. 19+ million with Mercer needing a big raise....Daws / Schmid will get very small ones. They would have to figure out what to do with Toffoli, but it's really not a bad spot to be in even with needing to fill out the roster.

Likely that they can get out from under Vitek without too much of a problem/cost for one year at 3.4, so that would be 3.4 off the books, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they made a move on Marino given how well Nemec has played to redistribute some of those assets.

I can only figure that they were concerned over Markstrom blowing up and didn't want to be saddled with that kind of anchor if he did.

Reactions: HBK27

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Honesty? The retention thing was always a little weird. The devils aren't really in bad cap shape. 19+ million with Mercer needing a big raise....Daws / Schmid will get very small ones. They would have to figure out what to do with Toffoli, but it's really not a bad spot to be in even with needing to fill out the roster.

Likely that they can get out from under Vitek without too much of a problem/cost for one year at 3.4, so that would be 3.4 off the books, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they made a move on Marino given how well Nemec has played to redistribute some of those assets.

I can only figure that they were concerned over Markstrom blowing up and didn't want to be saddled with that kind of anchor if he did.
If it's Holtz and a 1st or better I'm moving Markstrom right now if I'm Conroy.

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Except the problem with Helle was that most devils fans didn't want the contract....
You have to pay to play. Helle signed a very good valued contract. The guy has never been hurt in his 8 years, and plays a style that is not near as taxing on the body as a lot of goalies. He will still be a high quality goalie at the end of it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You have to pay to play. Helle signed a very good valued contract. The guy has never been hurt in his 8 years, and plays a style that is not near as taxing on the body as a lot of goalies. He will still be a high quality goalie at the end of it.
Making a prediction on a goalie 8 years down the line certainly is bold. He hasn't even started the contract yet.

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Making a prediction on a goalie 8 years down the line certainly is bold. He hasn't even started the contract yet.
It’s no different than any other contract. When you’re consistently one of the top goalies in the league year in and year out, I’d say it’s worth the chance.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It’s no different than any other contract. When you’re consistently one of the top goalies in the league year in and year out, I’d say it’s worth the chance.
You're right it is no different than any other long term UFA contract for a 30+ year which is where it generally looks good at the beginning and turns to dogshit towards the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad