Rumor: Flames will not trade Jacob Markstrom before trade deadline

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
They didn't need to anyway. His contract isn't expiring and the Flames need the cap hit to help keep them above the cap floor in case some big moves present themselves this offseason.

Reactions: Morrison

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Likely traded at the draft. Conroy is too busy right now working on a Hanifin deal, he doesn't have a lot of time.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was hoping he'd end up in New Jersey because I like their team and could see them being a solid pain in the ass in playoffs if they make it. Having said that... Markstrom has been outstanding and I'm not sure why you move him with a solid cap hit like that.

Now please trade Vladar and call up Wolf to finish the season.

Flames may have something similar to a Swayman/Ullmark situation next season and they seem to have picked up some good pieces recently to help get them get back on track for next season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
That's fine that they're holding onto him and all, but what message are they trying to send the team considering pending UFA's are getting shipped out? Are the Flames looking to be active this offseason and be competitive next season, in which case they'll hold onto Markstrom this offseason or are they just going to deal him this offseason anyway?

The whole "sending a message to the team" aspect of this just doesn't seem to make sense.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That's fine that they're holding onto him and all, but what message are they trying to send the team considering pending UFA's are getting shipped out? Are the Flames looking to be active this offseason and be competitive next season, in which case they'll hold onto Markstrom this offseason or are they just going to deal him this offseason anyway?

The whole "sending a message to the team" aspect of this just doesn't seem to make sense.
The message is "we know we've lost a lot of talent, but we still believe this group can battle & win on any given night". Not saying I agree with it (nor am I a Flames fan) but I suspect that's what they are saying behind closed doors.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I’m hoping this is because the return just isn’t there and not because we’re determined to finish 17th

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Let's hold onto the goalie that will help us get a worse draft pick that always works out.
Meh, with our entire 2nd pair gone, I’d assume the Flames fall out of it pretty quickly anyways.

Then let tank commander Vladar start more.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
He will move in the off season at the draft. Just a guess. But the flames look to be doing a rebuild, renovation or whatever their fan base has decided to call it. HE signed there with the impression they were going to be contenders and not whatever they are now.

That is being said they are only 6pts out of the playoffs but this sell off has hurt some of the vets on the team. We are just over a week away from the deadline and Calgary is an interesting team to watch to see what they do or do not do

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wow. That skyrockets the value of a couple goalies potentially on the market - Allen, Nedelkovich, Jarry, Saros (maybe)...

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Makes sense. Flames are fighting for a wildcard. Let the kids play in front of a competent goalie and see how they fair.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Every trade rumour with the Flames this season made me imagine their management team doing the below.

"Oh you want Elias Lindholm.... ohh... how much.... he's not available but how much do you want him? Ooh you like Hanifin too? Ooooh"

200w.gif

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Pretty happy about this as a devils fan. Tackle this in the off season at this point.

May also convince us to sell on Toffoli

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I’m hoping this is because the return just isn’t there and not because we’re determined to finish 17th

Meh, with our entire 2nd pair gone, I’d assume the Flames fall out of it pretty quickly anyways.

Then let tank commander Vladar start more.
but if that's the case (with removing your second pair and you don't really have good defensive prospects to fill in) then you are setting markstrom up to fail, making his numbers terrible and then trying to trade him?

People seem to believe that he has one good season then one bad and trades off, so i would wager he is having a pretty decent season considering. So he should be traded at least this offseason....if not, then he will have a bad season next year and his stock will be even worse because he would be looked at as a bad goalie on 6 mil contract.

Make that make sense for me, please.

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad