Seravalli: Flames will be buyers at this year's deadline, they want the cup.

Ledge And Dairy

True, just like last year when they morphed from "contenders" to barely able to get through the first round then an easy out in round 2.
Calgary dominated Dallas in every aspect of that 1st round (except game 6) except for goaltending and even then Markstrom was still excellent that series. If you need proof look here

By your logic Edmonton barely got through the first round too

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Calgary dominated Dallas in every aspect of that 1st round (except game 6) except for goaltending and even then Markstrom was still excellent that series. If you need proof look here

By your logic Edmonton barely got through the first round too

Right, and then what happened?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I just don't think having Sutter behind the bench for a couple years probably at 2.5 mill dictates whether or not you post-pone a rebuild. You look at the roster first and foremost. He also doesnt need to fire him, if hes not into a rebuild he can quit and then the problem kinda solves itself doesnt it
I think you're very definitely wrong. I also know you're wrong on what he gets paid. We was given a 3 year extension not a two year extension. Are you walking away from 9 million dollars by quitting? Why would Darryl? You're usually a better poster than this. There's no logic in anything you've written in this thread.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I just don't think having Sutter behind the bench for a couple years probably at 2.5 mill dictates whether or not you post-pone a rebuild. You look at the roster first and foremost. He also doesnt need to fire him, if hes not into a rebuild he can quit and then the problem kinda solves itself doesnt it
But the Flames are having terrible career low years across the board pretty much and are still in a position where they could win the division. Sutter has won with 8th seeded team and the Flames are a tough matchup in a 7 game series.

The west is wide open. Colorado is scary but who else are you really scared the Flames can’t beat?

We shouldn’t be giving up assets but if we actually consistently play Pelletier in the top 9, we play either Wolf or Vladar, Kylington comes back. That’s 3 upgrades.

Reactions: Boomstick

Rebel247

Mar 19, 2022
What would Calgary have to add in. JVR for Lucic trade?
Two expiring contracts. Flyers add assets.

JVR + MacEwen
For
Lucic + 1st rd + 5th rd

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
CGY’s buying could end up good or bad depending on what they spend and what they get. Obviously

However if they trade their 1st + to get a pure rental, besides a Cup win; they’d fail. Next year their cap becomes far more noticeable of an issue. They lose Lucic’s anchor but that anchor won’t even be enough to equal Weegar and Huberdeau’s extensions. Plus Vladar’s raise.

They are going to need cheap ELCs at least next year due to the likely flat cap. Regardless they’ll be an interesting team to watch
Would they trade Vladar before he is due a raise . Roll with Wolf and Backstrom? I say this assuming Markstrom cant / won’t be traded .

But the Flames are having terrible career low years across the board pretty much and are still in a position where they could win the division. Sutter has won with 8th seeded team and the Flames are a tough matchup in a 7 game series.

The west is wide open. Colorado is scary but who else are you really scared the Flames can’t beat?

We shouldn’t be giving up assets but if we actually consistently play Pelletier in the top 9, we play either Wolf or Vladar, Kylington comes back. That’s 3 upgrades.
What this seaon has Calgary done to give anybody any confidence that they are anything more than a mediocre team that will hover around .500 hockey ? How are they going to magically make them outplay the teams needed to get a playoff spot? They have to add someone / something to make a push or they will continue to be the same.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Would they trade Vladar before he is due a raise . Roll with Wolf and Backstrom? I say this assuming Markstrom cant / won’t be traded .

What this seaon has Calgary done to give anybody any confidence that they are anything more than a mediocre team that will hover around .500 hockey ? How are they going to magically make them outplay the teams needed to get a playoff spot? They have to add someone / something to make a push or they will continue to be the same.
I guess I see 5 reasons why Calgary could turn it around.

1) career low #s that should see a return to the norm
2) terrible Western conference
3) the addition of Pelletier and potentially Kylington
4) Vladar is undefeated in regulation in 13 straight (Wolf is even better that him but I don’t see it happening) and should get the bulk of the starts going forward.
5) good underlying #s

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
People laugh because
1. Boeser is maybe at most worth a 2nd
2. Wolf is worth more than a 2nd
3. Calgary can't afford Boeser next season

Would Calgary possibly trade prospects for win now players? Sure, it makes sense if they can start making traction. But they aren't going to go full stupid and trade everything for players they then have to pay to dump in the summer
People shouldn't laugh when the Flames have a desperate GM and have proven to not care about youth. Trading Wolf for win now players and cap space shouldn't happen, but it wouldn't be shocking given the state of the team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Ya they are tough when he puts lucic out against McDavid and Connor score before the guy even realizes what end the play is in

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
This would be epically stupid, but a typical Flames move. They’re nowhere close to being contenders.

If they start dumping prospects for more old, crappy over-rated has-beens I’m done with them.

Reactions: deca guard

Ledge And Dairy

People shouldn't laugh when the Flames have a desperate GM and have proven to not care about youth. Trading Wolf for win now players and cap space shouldn't happen, but it wouldn't be shocking given the state of the team.
Why is he desperate? He's pretty much guaranteed a job next year somewhere. It may not be in Calgary but I would be shocked if he isn't offered one within a month if the Flames don't extend him. Just like Dubas with the leafs

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why is he desperate? He's pretty much guaranteed a job next year somewhere. It may not be in Calgary but I would be shocked if he isn't offered one within a month if the Flames don't extend him. Just like Dubas with the leafs
He is desperate because he has been ditected to win and what he has put on the ice isn't doing that. Because not being extended is the same as getting fired and nobody wants to be fired. Not to mention that it kills his negotiating power if he is wanting to move on to a new team.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He is desperate because he has been ditected to win and what he has put on the ice isn't doing that. Because not being extended is the same as getting fired and nobody wants to be fired. Not to mention that it kills his negotiating power if he is wanting to move on to a new team.
Seems like typical Oilers wishful fantasy. Based on his recent interview, there's a strong indication he's simply not going to do anything at all.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I guess I see 5 reasons why Calgary could turn it around.

1) career low #s that should see a return to the norm
2) terrible Western conference
3) the addition of Pelletier and potentially Kylington
4) Vladar is undefeated in regulation in 13 straight (Wolf is even better that him but I don’t see it happening) and should get the bulk of the starts going forward.
5) good underlying #s
you should know that Superstars carry teams in playoff series, you saw it first-hand last year against the Oilers

heck, you saw in 2004 with Kipper and Iginla

Flames are missing those types of players

Ledge And Dairy

He won't be fired, he's in the last year of his contract. If Calgary owners want to move on they will just let it expire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad