Rumor: Flames unlikely to acquire first round pick

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I know it might not have been smart but I still wanted it to happen so the draft would be more interesting.

Even a 2nd would be nice. But I just hope they make some kind of move to generate hype.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Blues will give you a 2 firsts (this year and next) and second for monohan.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Think that was pretty obvious. We don't want a first round pick. We want an established top 6 forward.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I know it might not have been smart but I still wanted it to happen so the draft would be more interesting.

Even a 2nd would be nice. But I just hope they make some kind of move to generate hype.
I expect a trade between montreal and cgy for 2 2nd round picks. Probably bennett.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Not much going on here, and 1st round picks are most likely to be traded at the draft floor at this point

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Teams that finish out of the playoffs should at least have their own picks. Gotta be the Brian Burke influence on teams. Sad for Flames fans that the incompetents are/ were in charge of their team.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Didn't really think it was all that realistic to get back in without moving a substantial roster player. Which I felt would of been a mistake anyway. Not really a huge deal to not be picking in the 1st round, more than a couple teams who won't be doing that. It's the no picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that kinda sucks. Don't really want to be having big gaps in your drafting and developing. Maybe Tre can rectify that by packaging a pick and one of our (lesser) G or D prospects.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think it’s interesting that he referred to the top 5. I thought maybe a late 1st, but moving into the top 5 means he gave some serious consideration to moving someone pretty substantial.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I will say, not having a pick until the 4th round makes for a very boring draft for Calgary fans.

I think they do make some trade/trades to get a 2nd or 3rd.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Not hating on you even though I am an Oilers fan, I think that deal for Hamonic was too much. But he may be better next season

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do they move Sam Bennett for a low first? say 20-31st
I'm one of Bennett's biggest detractors and I say, no. I wouldn't move Bennett for less than pick #15, Bennett is a quality 3rd liner with upside, that is likely the best you get in the last 3rd of the first round anyways, so why make such a move? I see no incentive for what will most likely be a lateral move at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockmorton

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Probably learned this tacky narrative from Burke:
Make noise about acquiring a top pick after trading your first away and failing to make the playoffs. Followed by "we tried but the cost was too high...No way we would give up youngsters X, Y and Z!"
July 1st rolls around: Sign a bunch of crappy third liners to make it look like you accomplished something. Then tell the fans "Prices were too high, terms were too long! Our future is too important!"
Rinse and repeat until they fire you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad