Confirmed with Link: Flames Trade Neal for Lucic (12.5% retained) and conditional 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Maybe wait until the details are announced before going full “Chicken Little”.

There are no details to make it any better.

The deal is Lucic for Neal with a slight retention to balance out the salaries and a late pick for optics since the Flames are getting so badly taken to the woodshed that Treliving will point to that as a benefit.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

giphy.gif

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Damn all y'all trying to get a dude fired for trading two 4th liners. We need to save money to sign our guys and now getting however much cap space we do from this along with trading Frolik is gonna be useful in paying our big guys. But noooo TrElIvInG nEeDs To GoOo because a trade that we don't know all the details of that isn't official is being rumoured.

Reactions: Darth Maida

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
There are no details to make it any better.

The deal is Lucic for Neal with a slight retention to balance out the salaries and a late pick for optics since the Flames are getting so badly taken to the woodshed that Treliving will point to that as a benefit.
If the NMC is renegotiated/expunged from Lucic's contract as a result of the trade, it's slightly better.
Sounds like that may be part of the delay from the tweets above.

If the conditions on the draft pick are favourable, it may become slightly better.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree that because Neal did not have a NMC and if we have to honour Lucic’s, that is just awful awful. I really hope that isn’t the case.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Damn all y'all trying to get a dude fired for trading two 4th liners. We need to save money to sign our guys and now getting however much cap space we do from this along with trading Frolik is gonna be useful in paying our big guys. But noooo TrElIvInG nEeDs To GoOo because a trade that we don't know all the details of that isn't official is being rumoured.

It shows Treliving's thinking though. He thinks that adding a AHL level player that offers nothing to team and is getting paid 5+ million is worth adding.

Yes Neal sucks, yes he is overpaid and yes is likely unmovable but he is light years better than Lucic.

We just made a deal in which we got rid of Neal and we a. got worse and b. enraged the majority of the fanbase.

Sure this one deal may not be enough to fire him but the thinking that got him to this place and then had him make this deal should have him fire right now. And I say that as a guy that would have gladly argued that Treliving was a top 10 GM in the league prior to this move. This deal is that bad.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Dean Molberg @960boomer
Treliving has been mulling over this deal for more than a week. Seeds of the deal were planted earlier this year. Oilers keep some money and Lucic likely plays with Ryan and Bennett on 3rd line (Bennett to RW).

Wtf?!!!!!! Bennett sucks at RW, and now he actually gets to play with shit again.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Haha this is awful. Neal could score 30 goals playing with McDavid, that’s literally the biggest reason we should have not done this. We made the Oilers better.

This is a bit of a grass is greener mentality, isn't it? We signed Neal thinking he'd score 30 easily with Gaudreau. They scored Lucic thinking he'd score 30 easily with McDavid.

Both players are slow and way overpaid. What makes us think that Neal will suddenly rediscover form when Lucic couldn't in the same situation?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I question not giving Bennett an expanded role, but that's why they pay Peters the big bucks

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It shows Treliving's thinking though. He thinks that adding a AHL level player that offers nothing to team and is getting paid 5+ million is worth adding.

Yes Neal sucks, yes he is overpaid and yes is likely unmovable but he is light years better than Lucic.

We just made a deal in which we got rid of Neal and we a. got worse and b. enraged the majority of the fanbase.

Sure this one deal may not be enough to fire him but the thinking that got him to this place and then had him make this deal should have him fire right now. And I say that as a guy that would have gladly argued that Treliving was a top 10 GM in the league prior to this move. This deal is that bad.
Okay, allow me to be the first to ask for justification for this statement. Could you support the bolded? Not sure what facet of the game Neal helped us with last year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Dean Molberg @960boomer
Treliving has been mulling over this deal for more than a week. Seeds of the deal were planted earlier this year. Oilers keep some money and Lucic likely plays with Ryan and Bennett on 3rd line (Bennett to RW).

Wtf?!!!!!! Bennett sucks at RW, and now he actually gets to play with **** again.

Maybe its part of a strategy to drive down Bennett's arbitration value.

All Tre has to do now is walk into that hearing put down the Molberg tweet and walk away. Not a chance those arbitrators can award Bennett a cent over the minimum if they know he will be playing with Lucic next year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There's honestly nothing salvageable here. If Lucic brought even half of the imagined toughness and grit Oilers fans pretended he did, their organization would never have traded him and especially not to the Flames of all places. He's slow, expensive, mentally checks out easily and worst of all, buyout proof. He has a full NMC, his hands are all but gone and he doesn't even fight anymore. But hey the owners save a bunch of cash so I guess that all equals out.

uc03HNk.gif

Treliving's losing the plot. He actually made the Oilers better than they were yesterday. That's inexcusable. Oh but I guess we should thank our lucky stars Treliving wasn't dumb enough to throw Bennett in too or take Russell back. Happy day.

tenor.gif

As terrible as Neal was last year, he's a much better candidate to bounce back. And at the very least, a buyout was still possible. Short of LTIRetiring Lucic soon, this is just a much worse use of cap space.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

He's not light years better than Lucic. They are both terrible. Stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad