Confirmed with Link: Flames Trade Neal for Lucic (12.5% retained) and conditional 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Someone please tell me how it is with NMC and expansion draft. Lucic waived his NCM for this trade, does it mean that 1) there's no more NMC or 2) Lucic still has NMC, he just happened to accept thismove

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Someone please tell me how it is with NMC and expansion draft. Lucic waived his NCM for this trade, does it mean that 1) there's no more NMC or 2) Lucic still has NMC, he just happened to accept thismove
#2 is correct, he would have to be asked to waive his NMC to be exposed for the expansion draft

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
4ea.jpg

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Lucic can at least play bottom six. Neal didn't click with any of our top six forwards, and is beyond useless on the third line. Even if he bounces back in Edmonton, he wouldn't here.

So if we can save a bit of cap and get a pick? I'm cool with it. The only thing is we need his NMC nullified so we don't have to protect him in expansion.

Reactions: shello

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Why would we let our rivals off the hook for the worst contract in the league? Even if our return is digestible, it automatically opens up the possibility that the Oilers get better.

Neal must've seriously pissed off Peters and Treliving last year.

You guys objectively do need some toughness in the lineup.

Can’t believe we got Neal coming back though. He’s guaranteed to have McDavid, Drai, or Nuge as his centre.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Friedman says its 600k retained...

Flames save 350k cap, good amounts of ACTUAL money, and a contract that can't be brought out. Screams ownership...

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
With this organization, it is one step forward and two steps back. I feel like this has been the case since 2005.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm okay with this. Neal failed all year to show anything above what AHL tweeners provide. Lucic, despite being laughable for a long time in terms of production, does do some things well, and passed the eye test during BoAs when I was watching him.

I expect that retention will end up with us saving money. If not I go from okay with it to disappointed.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
What we give up:
Potential bounce back from Neal
Potentially a lost expansion draft protection spot

What we get:
"Threat" of toughness. I didn't buy that Lucic was a deterent in Edm, but McDavid is a tough kid on his own so maybe Johnny does benefit from Lucic being around :dunno:
Cap space
Conditional Pick

I guess it's not the worst trade in the world to deal with when the cap space is so important. Just funny how Lucic has played for all the Western Canadian teams except for Vancouver!

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
giphy.gif

Lucic is completely done and we will end up having to buy him or buy him out at same point. Neal had the worst season of his career and is likely going to bounce back and have a lot of opportunities with McDavid.

Absolutely atrocious trade for the Flames unless we got something like 50% retention and a 2nd.

600k retained. Virtually buyout proof contract thanks to those bonuses...

Great offseason for Tre so far. Can't imagine what the trade for Frolik will look like.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Lucic can at least play bottom six. Neal didn't click with any of our top six forwards, and is beyond useless on the third line. Even if he bounces back in Edmonton, he wouldn't here.

So if we can save a bit of cap and get a pick? I'm cool with it. The only thing is we need his NMC nullified so we don't have to protect him in expansion.
What do you mean by nullified? I don't think they can 'nullify' a NMC. Whatever clauses he signed with Edmonton would be applicable to Calgary as well.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Fire Treliving right now.

I was a huge supporter of him before this but this is fireable trade in my view. Neal sucked and wasn't close to worth the money but Lucic is not an NHL quality player. He brings nothing of value with zero upside or chance to bounce back.

Effing terrible move.

Top 5 worst trade in franchise history and this is a franchise with a history of bad deals.

I would love nothing more than Lucic booed off the ice the first game of the season to show how unwanted he is here.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm okay with this. Neal failed all year to show anything above what AHL tweeners provide. Lucic, despite being laughable for a long time in terms of production, does do some things well, and passed the eye test during BoAs when I was watching him.

I expect that retention will end up with us saving money. If not I go from okay with it to disappointed.

I came here thinking you were going to spin the positive and if you hadn't I was going to say, at least the putridly awful James Neal is gone, and that it would be hilarious if Lucic somehow exploded in 19/20.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Haha this is awful. Neal could score 30 goals playing with McDavid, that’s literally the biggest reason we should have not done this. We made the Oilers better.

Neal on the Flames will be similar players, were a little tougher but also slower. The Oilers are much better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad