TSN: Flames to sign Kris Versteeg (1 year, $1.75M)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Love it. Loved it last year when they signed him and love that they got him under 2 in both term and AAV for the upcoming season. Crucial part of our PP getting going last year and was probably our best shootout player.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That's awesome. The Flames wouldn't have found better value for the RW, and they desperately needed another functional NHLer in the very likely chance that there are no young guys who can step up. I'm still really hoping that somehow Brouwer can be traded (maybe for a #5 D or a backup G) to create more flexibility.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This probably means Chiasson isn't coming back, unless we trade Bouma or Stajan

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Awesome awesome awesome. Love this deal, guarantee he left a mil on table here at least.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Lazar
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
Foo/Bouma/Hathaway/Hamilton

Looks like there's no room for Foo and maybe even Jankowski if the Flames are set on keeping Bouma and Stajan. So most likely

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Lazar
Bouma-Stajan-Brouwer
Hamilton/Hathaway

The only difference from the beginning of last season would be Lazar over Chiasson. Internal growth from the young will be the difference maker but ideally the Flames find a way to move both Bouma and Stajan. Moving Brouwer's a lost cause for at least another year given his full NTC.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good job Steeger! More or less did what Brouwer was suppose to do last year for a quarter of the price.

It's getting crowded up there on the forward ranks, Calgary will need to move some dead weight or cap space out... as adding someone like Marleau now is virtually impossible... but would put this team over the top.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Gotta love this. Cheap and on the 1 year, wow, Treliving is god. This guy was huge on our PP, and scored clutch goals throughout the year. Even on his off nights he wasn't a liability. Really can't ask for more for 1.75 million.

Great work Treliving, even if we implode this year, we can flip him at the deadline.
:yo:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Only thing I don't like about this move is it probably pushes Lazar out of the lineup unless there's a trade

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Only thing I don't like about this move is it probably pushes Lazar out of the lineup unless there's a trade

Chiasson won't be back, Bouma can be sent down, Lazar will have to beat out Foo/Hamilton/Bouma, etc. He can earn his spot

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Why?

Gaudreau-Monahan-XXX
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer
Versteeg-Stajan-Lazar

Foo likely in the AHL, Bouma should be shot out of a cannon, and Stajan may even get traded to provide someone with center depth.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Given how management has referred to Lazar, would be surprise if he's not guaranteed a spot in the opening day lineup.

All this means is there's a good chance neither Foo nor Jankowski make the opening day roster unless one or both of Bouma and Stajan are moved.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Interested to see how this all shakes out.
Lazar, Brouwer, Ferland, Foo, Frolik and Versteeg are all RW options.

What's our forward set-in-stone depth now?

Gaudreau - Monahan - X
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
X - Bennett - X
X - X - X
X

X denotes:
Brouwer, Stajan, Versteeg, Bouma, F. Hamilton, Lazar, Foo, Jankowski, Ferland?

7 spots, 9 guys. Bouma and Freddie to the AHL?

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Part of me wonders if Versteeg is only an NHL player right now due to Treliving's propensity for trolling Edmonton.

As good a move as this is for hockey reasons, that price is low enough i would be Ok with it even if just for the bolded even if it wasn't.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Why?

Gaudreau-Monahan-XXX
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer
Versteeg-Stajan-Lazar

Foo likely in the AHL, Bouma should be shot out of a cannon, and Stajan may even get traded to provide someone with center depth.

Would mean playing Lazar at the expense of Jankowski, which I'm not a fan of either.

Seems like either we play someone out of position or far down on the depth chart, or we don't play Lazar. Really having Lazar as the 13th forward isn't the end of the world, it's just that if we gave up a second for him we may as well play him more than 35 games a year.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Treliving has said that Jankowski is basically a lock. I fully suspect to see Bouma waived, or Stajan dealt. Or one of them remains as the 13th forward.

The likelyhood of Foo getting more than 5 games is low. I think he'll be in the AHL for a few years.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Treliving has said that Jankowski is basically a lock. I fully suspect to see Bouma waived, or Stajan dealt. Or one of them remains as the 13th forward.

In that case, buyout Bouma and waive/sit Staj. If I had the choice between Boums and Ragin as a spare body, I'm taking Ragin Stajan all day.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
In that case, buyout Bouma and waive/sit Staj. If I had the choice between Boums and Ragin as a spare body, I'm taking Ragin Stajan all day.

Agreed. If one of the centers goes down, having Stajan as a backup is better than having Bouma.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
No need to buy out Bouma, just waive him. If we're lucky we get to hold onto him and the Heat gets a new #1 PK guy

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Good deal. Good price. Forwards are rounding out nicely, with some competition for the last spots. I'd say Bouma is probably going to be sent down.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Happy to have him back! Seems he really wanted to play for the Flames again. Always happy to have guys who really want to be a Flame.

Good year with us last season, here's to another!

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I didn't want Versteeg, but that's a much lower number than I expected. I think he could've gotten much higher, if he wanted to leave Calgary. Nice commitment, good signing.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I didn't want Versteeg, but that's a much lower number than I expected. I think he could've gotten much higher, if he wanted to leave Calgary. Nice commitment, good signing.

Why wouldn't you want him? He more then outperformed expectations.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Gaudreau - Monahan - XXX(Marleau/Sharp etc?)
Ferland - Bennett - Versteeg
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer

Jankowski in when there's room(whether a trade or someone bought out/waived)
Foo first call up.

or we could just not sign anyone on July 1st for the forward group... That's a possibility too I guess. lol

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Versteeg - Bennett - Lazar
Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad