Speculation: Flames to name captain soon?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Brad Treliving said:
"I don't think you can name a captain just so you can check a box and say that you have that stroked off the list. (Head Coach) Darryl (Sutter) and I have talked a lot about it, and I think that's something that's going to have to play itself out over camp and we're going to see in the coming days."

'REALLY BIG DECISION'

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I wouldn't name a single captain with this mediocre group.
The only way I name a captain is if they trade Gaudreau and Tkachuk, in which case we give Monahan the C so he can be the tank commander for a season and a half before we put him out to pasture too.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I've assumed they would name Monahan ever since Gio went to Seattle.

Not sure why some teams are so gun-shy when it comes to naming a captain. It used to be that if the current captain was hurt for a stretch, someone else would get the C on their sweater. Why is it seen as such a disaster or insult if you pick someone who is just temporary? It's a bigger insult to pick no one.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
enhanced-buzz-28895-1301694293-0.jpg

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
my rankings:

Tkachyk - At the top because he has the ability to drag guys into battle and while being controversial at times, has shown a ton of heart and the willingness to fight/standup for his teammates while contributing offensively. This role could push him to be a top guy. Has a high ceiling as a leader.

Tanev- Big tough strong silent type, as close to Gio on that roster as you can find. Only been with the club one year or he would be #1 on my list.

Backlund- Backlund, while I've loved him on the flames since he started, and is a really really important part of the team, is just too shy. Hes lukewarm, hes milquetoast. He would be ranked 30-32 on an athletic - captain rankings list - period. Chucky atleast has potential to be a great capatain, Backs is what it is and would just continue to steer the team into the mushy middle. IMO. IF - it ignited a fire under his ass and he plays with some sandpaper and gets involved - then maybe it would be a great idea, hes shown flashes of it in playoffs but other wise is a passenger when it comes to that side of it.

Lindholm- Seems very quiet, kinda soft spoken - dont know enough about him to really say.

Monahan- Same as Backs - if it lit a fire under his ass and he played a little angry - could really help but, people dont change once they've been given a letter - they earn it before.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
my rankings:

Tkachyk - At the top because he has the ability to drag guys into battle and while being controversial at times, has shown a ton of heart and the willingness to fight/standup for his teammates while contributing offensively. This role could push him to be a top guy. Has a high ceiling as a leader.

Tanev- Big tough strong silent type, as close to Gio on that roster as you can find. Only been with the club one year or he would be #1 on my list.

Backlund- Backlund, while I've loved him on the flames since he started, and is a really really important part of the team, is just too shy. Hes lukewarm, hes milquetoast. He would be ranked 30-32 on an athletic - captain rankings list - period. Chucky atleast has potential to be a great capatain, Backs is what it is and would just continue to steer the team into the mushy middle. IMO. IF - it ignited a fire under his ass and he plays with some sandpaper and gets involved - then maybe it would be a great idea, hes shown flashes of it in playoffs but other wise is a passenger when it comes to that side of it.

Lindholm- Seems very quiet, kinda soft spoken - dont know enough about him to really say.

Monahan- Same as Backs - if it lit a fire under his ass and he played a little angry - could really help but, people dont change once they've been given a letter - they earn it before.

I don't know how you can even rank captains, since the only criteria that really matters is what a captain means to the guys on his own team, and whether they are motivated to play for him. Every captain is different (and should be). Players are motivated by different things. A captain doesn't necessarily always have to be a rah-rah kind of guy to have the respect of his teammates. Backs might be soft-spoken, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's milquetoast. I'd say that he simply lets his game speak for itself. He has played everywhere in the lineup for us over the years, with a lot of different players, yet he shows up every night, makes those around him better, manages to stay healthy, and is always consistent at both ends of the ice. The Flames need a leader who's play and approach to the game does the talking. It's Backs or nothing.

Reactions: 1989

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I wonder: if Tkachuk doesn't implode last year, he would have to be the clear favourite right?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Backlund or Tanev co-captains seems reasonable. I think Gaudreau actually could be in the running too

Reactions: Ainsy01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad