Flames sign Ryan Wilson to a PTO

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm happy with this, I liked Wilson but he pretty much hasn't played since 2013-14

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
but-why.gif

Extra competition? Veteran presence for the Heat? Sending Kylington to Brandon/Kanzig to the ECHL? Nakladal needing more time to acclimate to NA hockey? Smid further away? Wotherspoon requested a trade?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
but-why.gif

Extra competition? Veteran presence for the Heat? Sending Kylington to Brandon/Kanzig to the ECHL? Nakladal needing more time to acclimate to NA hockey? Smid further away? Wotherspoon requested a trade?

It's a PTO. They "why" to almost every PTO ever is to see whether the guy is good enough to make your team better. If so, great. If not, nothing lost.

If he was being signed in order to play for the Heat, or to take someone else's spot in the lineup, I think he'd have been signed to a contract.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Cool, I never wanted to trade the guy and I was hoping we'd throw him a PTO when I looked at the FA list last week.

He's been extremely unfortunate with injuries through the years though, which has undoubtedly taken a toll. He's probably not earning a spot if he plays how he has played the last couple of seasons, so hopefully his fitness is now at it's highest level. Coul be a nice depth/insurance add though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's a PTO. They "why" to almost every PTO ever is to see whether the guy is good enough to make your team better. If so, great. If not, nothing lost.

If he was being signed in order to play for the Heat, or to take someone else's spot in the lineup, I think he'd have been signed to a contract.
So . . . extra competition then.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So . . . extra competition then.

Not exactly. More options, I'd say. But extra competition seems to refer to a factor to motivate other members of the organization. I think they're going to see if Wilson is better than the other options right now. Not just to motivate others, but to help the team if possible.

In other words.... semantics.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not exactly. More options, I'd say. But extra competition seems to refer to a factor to motivate other members of the organization. I think they're going to see if Wilson is better than the other options right now. Not just to motivate others, but to help the team if possible.

In other words.... semantics.
udmBvmi.gif

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Engelland
Smid
Wotherspoon
Morrisson
Nakladal
Wilson

Definitely creating some competition for that final spot. I'm beginning to think Smid may not be healthy yet. It's a shame Schlemko hasn't been invited/signed.

Monahan For Mayor*

Don't understand it. Schelmko was a good player for us last year... Wilson has injury history and he's suppose to be out depth ?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Don't understand it. Schelmko was a good player for us last year... Wilson has injury history and he's suppose to be out depth ?

It's possible Schlemko didn't want a one year deal or a two way contract. Maybe he just wanted more money than the Flames offered. I liked Schlemko, and would love to see him back, but I trust Treliving.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Really hope Morrison makes it, same with Nakladel, I feel he's similar to Schlemko but I don't have any basis for that comment. :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This guys an interesting case. At the start of his career this guy was projecting well.

Injuries really hurt him. I'd like to see what he can do at full health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad