Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Nikita Nesterov (1 year, $700k)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Remember when Jankowski turned heads in camp and lost a spot to Tanner Glass

Anyway, this guy was the captain of CSKA Moscow. He's either playing or he's headed back to Russia
IIRC, the Flames had to reduce their roster and send someone down to the minors and Jankowski didn't have to clear waivers. If Janko had been waiver eligible he likely would have stayed up.
Ah... those were the days... when Janko actually dominated and was leading the Heat in pts. What happened? Where did it all go wrong? Why? <sigh>

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think Yelesin is the better defenseman and perhaps Nesterov is willing to spend time in the AHL. But I suppose the 2 of them and Kylington/Mackey are in contention for the last couple spots on D.

I still hope we can somehow add an actual top pairing D somehow because I doubt the team is going anywhere with its current defense.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I think Yelesin is the better defenseman and perhaps Nesterov is willing to spend time in the AHL. But I suppose the 2 of them and Kylington/Mackey are in contention for the last couple spots on D.

I still hope we can somehow add an actual top pairing D somehow because I doubt the team is going anywhere with its current defense.
No way he’s willing to go to the AHL, he wouldn’t leave the top team in the KHL which he was the captain to play in the AHL.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
IIRC, the Flames had to reduce their roster and send someone down to the minors and Jankowski didn't have to clear waivers. If Janko had been waiver eligible he likely would have stayed up.
Ah... those were the days... when Janko actually dominated and was leading the Heat in pts. What happened? Where did it all go wrong? Why? <sigh>

Softie

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Except yelesin has never been better anywhere

Not sure why he chose the Flames but it was reported several teams including Tampa was interested. Maybe he has improved. I bet he picked the flames because of the opportunity to play.

I like these minimum signings, these guys are going to fight for their lives. The competition is going to be great... snooze and you lose.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Yelesin has loads of potential and I could see him as the 7 or 8th D. I was watching TH last night and an interesting concept came up (in a Toronto context of course).

Specifically, the NHL may allow a 'taxi' squad to be part of the team during next season. Normal rules. e.g. waivers would not apply and the number of players on the squad would be limited. I'm not sure how the cap would work, but it is an interesting proposal.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Yelesin has loads of potential and I could see him as the 7 or 8th D. I was watching TH last night and an interesting concept came up (in a Toronto context of course).

Specifically, the NHL may allow a 'taxi' squad to be part of the team during next season. Normal rules. e.g. waivers would not apply and the number of players on the squad would be limited. I'm not sure how the cap would work, but it is an interesting proposal.

I could see some sort of Black Aces for next season. If the season is going to be condensed into a short period of time, the league and the PA would likely agree to extra bodies available on short notice.

And if that’s the case, the depth moves Treliving has been making will be well worth it. (Domingue, Nesterov, Nordstrom, Simon) Not to mention the borderline players already in the system pushing for full time lineup spots.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Kylington is gone imo

gio-Andy
Hanifin-tanev
Valimaki-nestrov

I’d hope gio and hanifin are switched but I doubt it

I did like to see Hanifin and Andersson kept together. Feel like Tanev is too similar to Hamonic for Hanifin to be successful with him as his partner. Maybe Giordano-Tanev could be a strong shutdown pair.

Hanifin-Andersson
Giordano-Tanev
Valimaki-Nesterov
Kylington

Kylington will get chances; inevitably someone always get injured.

Reactions: Mazatt and Nanuuk

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I could see some sort of Black Aces for next season. If the season is going to be condensed into a short period of time, the league and the PA would likely agree to extra bodies available on short notice.

And if that’s the case, the depth moves Treliving has been making will be well worth it. (Domingue, Nesterov, Nordstrom, Simon) Not to mention the borderline players already in the system pushing for full time lineup spots.

They are not depth, Nordstrom, Simon, nesterov are all roster players...not too many guys in the minor that are nhl quality neither

We still don't have depth...more signings coming

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
They are not depth, Nordstrom, Simon, nesterov are all roster players...not too many guys in the minor that are nhl quality neither

Simon is the only guarantee in my opinion. Nordstrom is likely and Nesterov I don’t think he’d come over from the top KHL team to not get regular minutes in the NHL but it’s still unclear until it all unfolds

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Simon is the only guarantee in my opinion. Nordstrom is likely and Nesterov I don’t think he’d come over from the top KHL team to not get regular minutes in the NHL but it’s still unclear until it all unfolds
Including Simon and Nordstrom, we only have 12 NHL forwards unless you count Rinaldo

I think nesterov will beat kylington for the spot

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Including Simon and Nordstrom, we only have 12 NHL forwards unless you count Rinaldo

I think nesterov will beat kylington for the spot
That's the roster. Unless a rook comes in and completely shocks.
Looks pretty decent. If only Looch was gone.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.

They are depth moves as in they are not headliners. They’ve moved fringe players and rookies down the line-up increasing the depth of the roster. The last three signings have added 700+ games of NHL experience in versatile players in their late 20’s aka prime years. All at $700k a pop. No risk besides a contract spot.

A week ago the likes of Robinson, Rinaldo, Phillips, Gawdin, Mackey, Yeselin, etc. were populating projected lineups. Now, they can be further seasoned or work their butts of in camp and win a roster spot.

Do we need to sign a few more fringe players to bolster the farm team? Sure, but at least the NHL roster has taken shape. I was a little worried when Rieder left and we moved on from Jankowski that our PK and bottom six was going to be weak or exploitable. I feel Nordstrom was a strong signing to cover that.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thought Petrovic was our designated popcorn guy. I do wonder if the NHL is exploring letting the teams travel with a larger roster due to the pandemic.

Flames are still only at 42/50 contracts with only Kylington left as an RFA to sign. I was initially against signing a bunch of cheap vets because this organizations has a bit of a history playing the Stones, MacDonalds, Grossmans, Rinaldos, Pelusos and Tanner Glasses of the world ahead of their youth with upside but I don't really mind any of the Nordstrom, Simon, Nesterov signings all that much. For that price you're likely to see some value there. I know they're high on Mackey but unless he blows them away at camp it'd definitely be better to start him out in Stockton.

Besides having your 5-8 defense at the bottom be

Valimaki-Kylington
Mackey
Petrovic

Would be pretty shaky, not much experience there. I could see a Nesterov/Kylington rotation with some occasional Petrovic or Yelesin for the #6 spot.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Wasn’t there talk of potentially no AHL season? Or am I making that up in my head

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00