Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Michael Frolik (5 years, 4.3M AAV)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That said, Frolik isn't magically going to have the same result as Hudler just because Hudler did. Hudler is, again, an exception, not the rule.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
That said, Frolik isn't magically going to have the same result as Hudler just because Hudler did. Hudler is, again, an exception, not the rule.

Understandable, but I think it's unfair to throw Frolik under the bus this early. Yes, the length is questionable, but we have no way of knowing how this will work out.

I'm seeing some comments made in that thread by Flames fans who are saying the same thing here. Hell, I may be guilty of this, but I haven't gone through the entire thread yet. If I had to choose the Hudler the Flames signed on the day they signed him, or Frolik right now, I'd probably lean towards Frolik. Not as flashy, but has a better overall game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah. ONCE AGAIN, that doesn't mean I said "he'll be done by 30."

Yeesh...

Yes but you said he'd be "done by 30," in your words, if I remember correctly.

:sarcasm: I think we're done here.

Anyway, I'm optimistic with this signing. Even if you don't like it, I don't think $4.3M is in the untradeable range for a guy his age if we need the space. I'm excited to have him as part of the Flames.

Here's a question, though, what non-prima donna number will he take?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Yes but you said he'd be "done by 30," in your words, if I remember correctly.

:sarcasm: I think we're done here.

Anyway, I'm optimistic with this signing. Even if you don't like it, I don't think $4.3M is in the untradeable range for a guy his age if we need the space. I'm excited to have him as part of the Flames.

Here's a question, though, what non-prima donna number will he take?
His number should be lower than his cap hit :sarcasm:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Trelivings comments in his presser on Frolik:

compared Frolik as a 'Swiss Army knife' said he can go all over the line-up. Unheralded guy. can do heavy lifting. not gonna score you 30, but gonna do heavy lifting, and go to the not sexy areas.
Size was brought up. Hard on the puck, plays a heavy game. great at the small compete areas.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Its actually creepy how identical the comments are. Oddly enough, TheHudlinator was one of the few that actually supported the deal.

I was a fan of the Hudler deal and I am a fan of this deal. The term is a little long, but it doesn't concern me that much because I don't think Frolik spends the whole five years in Calgary. I can see him being traded after year three, maybe even year four of the contract.

Also lol @ the talk about regression at 30 and that players hit their prime in their early 20's. Well, I guess we better trade Johnny in a couple years before he begins the regression process. :sarcasm:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Trelivings comments in his presser on Frolik:

compared Frolik as a 'Swiss Army knife' said he can go all over the line-up. Unheralded guy. can do heavy lifting. not gonna score you 30, but gonna do heavy lifting, and go to the not sexy areas.
Size was brought up. Hard on the puck, plays a heavy game. great at the small compete areas.

He's exactly right.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I can't help but feel like people *****ing about this right now will be feeling silly by the end of the next season. I'm personally very happy to have gotten him. For a free agent deal this is exactly good value.

I can't remember the exact number but on the main board there was a stat about how many even strength points he's had in the past two seasons. I think it was 67.

Also lets not forget that at forty points he's the 4th highest scoring flame forward last year. We needed more scoring depth and we got it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Very fair deal. If we pair him up with Backlund that could give us our first legitimate shutdown line

While Bouma shouldn't be on the second line, by any means, you put him on the LW on that line and they'll make life fairly tough on opponents, plus chip in for something like:
30-45-45 (Boums - Backs - Frolik).

This is the best signing of the day in my opinion. He was the best forward available and you didn't pay him 5 million or more. Great signing for a solid, solid player.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
Stafford just got MORE AAV. 2 x 4.35 AAV. Frolik is twice the player Stafford is easily.

You guys will be happy with him. Jack of all trades, but master of none except maybe defensive play. His effort has never been questioned, and doesn't seem to have bad games.

He's way better than Stafford. We just couldn't give him that term. You guys will like him. Hard worker and very good defensively too. Wish we could have kept him. Wow, your team is looking really good.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I may be in the minority's but I don't like the signing. He's a very good player, I just think the AAV and length are both too much.

I just don't like signing free agents. It rarely works out.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...es-loses-on-game-of-to-and-Fro-311339061.html

I encourage you guys to read this. Cheveldayoff was visibly muffed when the press was asking him about Frolik. This one paragraph with a quote from the past is good:

Versatile and smart, he became one of Maurice’s most loved players this past season. The coach called Frolik the tonic to struggling players. If a line needed a boost, Maurice would move Frolik to that group, and inevitably, there would be a surge in production.

"It’s his consistency shift to shift. He doesn’t take nights off and he doesn’t take shifts off," Maurice said of Frolik. "And there’s a personality part of that. He’s got a smile on his face most days. He enjoys playing the game and there’s not a lot of negative tension on the bench with him. If they have a shift that doesn’t go their way, he’s the let’s-go-get-’em-on-the-next-shift kind of player. That brings out the best in his linemates."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What the hell does your username mean anyways?
It was a joke in the healthy living thread.

Monabae talked about crushing a whole pie at East, someone else said that during the holidays everyone eats their weight in food. To which I made a joke saying if I ate my weight in food I would have to go to the neighborhood grade school and grill up 100 third graders. Then UC suggested it for my new name.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
Really would have loved to keep Fro, term and $ sounds reasonable too. All you negative people will be eating crow and pro Fro by the end of his first season there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad