Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Michael Frolik (5 years, 4.3M AAV)

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
Like Frolik and what he'll bring. I don't like the term because I do worry a little more about the end of next season when we have to sign Johnny and Monahan to extensions. Obviously I know there will be further moves to be made and Treliving has done a lot to improve this team. At the very least we know $8.3 million will be coming off with Ramo and Hiller's deals only being short term.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting our Jets board was in full meltdown today over losing Fro for this deal. We usually don't mind when players move on either.

He is a very good hockey player that you can stick on any line and he makes them better. You want to put Bennett at centre as a rookie next season then just drop Fro on his right side and magically he won't look bad when he makes rookie mistakes because Sam will always have someone to cover his ass. He played up and down our top 9 last season and did well in all situations. He is an excellent compliment to the high skill guys because he tilts the ice possession wise, plays great D, and chips in on O.

He is not flashy but there is a reason our fan base loves him. Superb two way game that will provide a nice foil for the oiler forwards. Hartley will love him.

Anyways congrats Flames won this deal and the Jets lose.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I gotta say, I'm loving everything the Jets posters are saying in here. I've never had an issue with Frolik the player, but it is a significant deal that we signed him to. I'm excited to see him in red come training camp.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To be frank, Frolik isn't as skilled as Hudler is. I don't think he has or will ever have that upside. And it's not as if Frolik was buried in the Jets bottom 6. But I do think he can have a similar impact as Hudler with his all around play. I think this signing has the potential to work out well for everyone.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
Frolik last year was 94th among forwards in goals ant 116th in points. The year before, he had a similar line. I'm too lazy to dig up 5v5 stats, but those numbers suggest that Frolik is quite easily a second liner in terms of production. Add to that his outstanding possession driving talent (which the flames badly need), and I don't think it's a question. Wether he'll be worth it in year four or five of his contract who knows, but Frolik doesn't strike me as the kind of player that will suddenly fall off a cliff in his early thirties.

People need to get with the times wrt new scoring levels. 50 points is first line production now.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
As a Flames fan who lives in Winnipeg, I am forced to see more Jets' games than I prefer throughout the year because not many friends of mine care aside from the Jets. To get to the point, they absolutely rave about Frolik most nights. I always notice him on the ice and his compete will be much appreciated by Hartley. He cycled between the top 3 lines and usually the most productive line had him on it. Played a lot with Ladd and Little and he looked great on the right side there. A lot of people I spoke to or texted yesterday said something along the lines of, "you stole Frolik from us! :'(." When I see $4.3 a year, I agree it is a big investment. But scoring 30 goals and getting 35 assists isn't the only reason to pay a player... All the intangibles are there and thats what wins you games. We will have plenty of scoring from Johnny, Mony, Hudler, Bennett, etc and Frolik will just make any of these guys more comfortable if he's out there with them. Sucks to not be in the absolute ideal cap space heaven like we were last season but I think we were a Frolik or a few pieces away for giving anaheim a better run last year.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Price and term are fine for me. Thats a contract that is easy to move. He will be great for the Flames. Jones comes off the books in a year if people are really worried, pretty much the exact same hit for a better player.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It should be interesting on who plays the PK with Frolik. I have a feeling he'll be our best PKer right next to Bouma, so it'd be best to spit those two up. I'd like Backlund - Bouma and Stajan - Frolik. Stajan usually works well with anyone.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I LUV YOUR TEAM lol.

aaaaaandd..I'm proud to say at the beginning of last season i predicted u guys to be contenders and surprise people by possibly squeaking into the #8 spot.

Now, you guys are the best in the pacific.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I LUV YOUR TEAM lol.

aaaaaandd..I'm proud to say at the beginning of last season i predicted u guys to be contenders and surprise people by possibly squeaking into the #8 spot.

Anaheim is still probably better. I'm curious to see whether we can muster more than one goal against St. Louis this season.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I LUV YOUR TEAM lol.

Not quite, we're still behind Anaheim but that is the only team I can confidently say is ahead of us.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I LUV YOUR TEAM lol.

Unfortunately the ducks are in the division... And I expect the Kings to rebound.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
WOW IM SORRY HUGE BRAINFART.

I was thinking SJ,ARI,Van, LAK and EDM in my head..

Sorry, yes Anaheim is definitely the best in the Pacific, but you guys have a ton of potential. Bennett's gonna be my fantasy hockey sleeper pick this year.

Luv your d-core with gio, russell, hamilton, wideman, brodie and Engel/wotherspoon/Smid. probly Smid........All your pairings are top 4 pairings.........

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anaheim is still probably better. I'm curious to see whether we can muster more than one goal against St. Louis this season.

I think Calgary's in a good position to compete for the number 2 spot in the conference this upcoming year.

SJ will have a good year, and LA might rebound well; The Nucks are going to be bad, the Yotes are going to be pretty bad and the Oil might be better, but that defense is still a pit (as Philly has demonstrated, you can't win without a good D; and have a ton of god forwards).

I like how good the lineup is now from the first to the forth line.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Interesting our Jets board was in full meltdown today over losing Fro for this deal. We usually don't mind when players move on either.

He is a very good hockey player that you can stick on any line and he makes them better. You want to put Bennett at centre as a rookie next season then just drop Fro on his right side and magically he won't look bad when he makes rookie mistakes because Sam will always have someone to cover his ass. He played up and down our top 9 last season and did well in all situations. He is an excellent compliment to the high skill guys because he tilts the ice possession wise, plays great D, and chips in on O.

He is not flashy but there is a reason our fan base loves him. Superb two way game that will provide a nice foil for the oiler forwards. Hartley will love him.

Anyways congrats Flames won this deal and the Jets lose.

Agree with ps241's assessment of Frolik, although i don't see it as a 'win-lose deal'.
You got a solid, 40-point, low maintenance forward who can play up and down the lineup and PK, for the right price and the right term. I doubt he decays much over the next number of seasons if given the right opportunity. He is not a core piece of a championship team, but will help enormously as the Flames mature.
The reasons he is not still on the Jets are, IMO:
1)Wpg has some very big contracts coming up in the next year (Buff, Ladd, Trouba..) and needed less expensive RW options.
2)They now have those options in Burmistrov (1.55 AAV), Stafford (2 year term) and Armia, (ELC, from the Kane trade). The prospect pipeline will spew out plenty more in the next few years.
3)There are unconfirmed rumours that Frolik's partner was unhappy in the Peg, which, for a variety of reasons, I believe.

You are in the right stage of development for Frolik to be a big asset....congratulations!
PS--Loved watching your team defy the odds last year and wish you best of luck going forward!

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
Everyone has extremely high hopes for the Flames this year :o

Oh how the tides have turned in the last 12 months.

Keep your expectations low and success will feel more rewarding guys

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
i have a feeling Frolik is actually going to be really good. I don't want to break up Boys n the huds but I wouldn't mind seeing

Gaudreau - Monahan - Frolik
Colborne/Bouma- Bennett - Hudler

And let Hudler mentor Bennett next year like Hudler did this year with Gaudreau. That being said I think Bennett starts on Backs LW to start the season. But we have more options for our top 6 than we had before so that's good. I still think we are missing one more top 6 capable player (don't think Colborne cuts it haha)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
i have a feeling Frolik is actually going to be really good. I don't want to break up Boys n the huds but I wouldn't mind seeing

Gaudreau - Monahan - Frolik
Colborne/Bouma- Bennett - Hudler

And let Hudler mentor Bennett next year like Hudler did this year with Gaudreau. That being said I think Bennett starts on Backs LW to start the season. But we have more options for our top 6 than we had before so that's good. I still think we are missing one more top 6 capable player (don't think Colborne cuts it haha)

There's been too "keys" to some of our guys breakouts, Huds mentoring the young forwards, and Wideman mentoring the young offensive/two way dmen.

You do have a point, but I'd like to have Frolik with Bennett to shelter him a bit, but, things change and Fro will get moved around until he finds his spot, so much great possibilities!!

Tical

Jul 1, 2013
Something about a Bouma/Backs/Frolik line reminds me of the Ducks' Pahlsson line in '07

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
There's been too "keys" to some of our guys breakouts, Huds mentoring the young forwards, and Wideman mentoring the young offensive/two way dmen.

You do have a point, but I'd like to have Frolik with Bennett to shelter him a bit, but, things change and Fro will get moved around until he finds his spot, so much great possibilities!!

Totally agree. I'm just interested to see what Hartley tries out. I think Bennett and Frolik could definitely have some great chemistry though. Our top 6 is starting to look more solidified!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
To be frank, Frolik isn't as skilled as Hudler is. I don't think he has or will ever have that upside. And it's not as if Frolik was buried in the Jets bottom 6. But I do think he can have a similar impact as Hudler with his all around play. I think this signing has the potential to work out well for everyone.

This is a fair point Fro will never score like Huds he doesn't have his offensive upside. The thing is though he doesn't really have to, he can have a great impact on his line playing his game. I will reference two examples of this.

Ladd Little Wheeler has been the clear #1 line in Winnipeg since they arrive. Ladd and Little both play excellent two way games and Wheeler is not nearly as good defensively (or Corsi wise) but he is the offensive catalyst (he put up 73 points last season). At one point to mix things up the Jets dropped Wheeler to our 1B line with Kane and Scheifele. They moved Fro up to the first line right wing with Ladd and Little and I remember thinking wow, Fro is so not a #1 right wing he is going to kill that line. Well it turned out he didn't at all, for some reason Ladd and Little kept producing and they became an even more dominant possession line? That trio was great with Power on Power match ups vs the best lines in the league. I am a really old dude (eye test expert type LOL) and that is when I really started to think there is something to this Corsi thing and what Fro lacked in scoring he more than made for on strong possession.

Same think in Scheifele's rookie season. Mark was really struggling and after about 20 games 85% of our board wanted to demote him to the AHL. Well they decided to drop Mark onto the 3rd line with Fro and the boat anchor otherwise known as Matt Hustlechuk. That is all Mark needed and he took off and has't looked back since. Anytime Mark struggled last year they would just drop Fro back onto his line to get him going again and it always worked.

I wasn't joking when I said he would be the perfect right winger for Bennett. He will tilt the ice, chip in scoring, and clean up on defence as well. He will make life away easier for Sam to succeed.

The haters are going to have lots of red meat to start off because he isn't gifted offensively but he is gifted at possession and improving your teams odds to win.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I gotta say, I'm loving everything the Jets posters are saying in here. I've never had an issue with Frolik the player, but it is a significant deal that we signed him to. I'm excited to see him in red come training camp.

It sound like Frolik was their Backlund (albeit different positions).

2 Backlunds? Okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad