Confirmed Signing with Link: Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk to ELC

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I could see him make the team out of camp, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. I was about 50/50 on him making the NHL when I thought he'd be getting drafted to Edmonton. His skating is average (not good or great), but I don't think it will affect him that much at the NHL level, at least not in the future and he still has plenty of time to improve it. I'm not sure if he's strong enough or filled out enough to be that effective with his current style of play at the NHL level especially if his skating doesn't improve to help him get body position easier. He's going to be a hell of a player though when he's developed and I'm sad we have to play against him in a flames jersey for the next decade. I'll predict a 15G-20A-35P season if he makes the Flames out of camp and sticks the whole year.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think unless he looks horrid in camp he might at least get a few games. Keep him through the 9 game period. Let the Flames coaches and staff work with him a bit, get him set up how they like it n regards to fitness and diet plans, and see what he needs to work on the most, and give him a plan after they send him back.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Tkachuk will get his 9 game audition more than likely. There really isn't much of a precedent, however.

Monahan was getting his 9 games, and the Flames were expecting to send him down, but then he starts putting up points and made it difficult for the Flames to rationalize sending him down, and in that case with hindsight, it was the right call.

Bennett was trying to play through a bum shoulder, but looked outstanding in the preseason. Eventually the trainers discovered he was playing hurt, so the Flames shut him down and Bennett got surgery. When he came off the IR, he was immediately sent back to the OHL, but came back when his team was eliminated.

Will Tkachuk make it? I would say he gets the preseason. If he looks good, he gets some preseason games. If he continues looking good, he will start his 9 game look. Flames will actually look to send him back down, but if he consistently shows he belongs, then Flames will make room.

I wouldn't put him in as an automatic, but who knows.

Lines with Tkachuk

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuck - Bennett - Chiasson
Bouma - Stajan - Bollig

That is my best guess.

Bhurak

Jan 5, 2006
Keith Tkachuk scored 50 goals twice and scored multiple 40 goal seasons. I do not think his son will do the same. His son will be good but I wouldn't put that expectation on him.

Well, he certainly won't score at the same pace even if he was the same player, given how scoring's changed. The way things are now, that would be more like putting up in the mid to high 30s consistently.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It may surprise some that Tkachuk was only .13 PPG at 1.87PPG behind Marner's 2 PPG in their draft years.

This is good context that this player is a pretty prolific points producer.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
This guy is going to be the next Keith Tkachuk only a better scorer. Great prospect.

K. Tkachuk would have a Richard if it existed when he played. 500+ career goals, 1,000+ career points (not a compiler). Honestly he's in that tier right below the HOFer of the "very good, almost in" with the Pierre Turgeons of the world...and honestly I put him ahead of some guys you routinely hear (Andreychuk for example).

If Matthew comes close to his father's career-Flames fans should be ecstatic.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
so is this what Calgary's lineup will look like for the opener?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Tkachuk - M. Backlund - Frolik
Shinkaruk - Bennett - Chiasson
Ferland - Stajan - Bouma
Bollig

???

can a Flames fan confirm this?

this looks like a pretty decent lineup
Impossible to say really. I personally think Tkachuk's development is better served by going back down to be the top guy in London.

I also think the Flames have a couple wild cards in Mark Jankowski, Emile Poirier and Morgan Klimchuk. If Jankowski has a great camp, the Flames may be inclined to move Bennett to the wing again this season. A great camp by Poirier would allow Frolik to play LW. I know some will think I am nuts for mentioning Klimchuk but the kid was phenomenal defensively for a rookie in Stockton last year, he was easily one of their top defensive forwards and at the end of the season was already a top guy on their PK and with a LW spot open with Backlund and Frolik which is our top defensive line he may be able to sneak in and steal a spot based on his defensive acumen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad