Confirmed Signing with Link: Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk to ELC

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Flames fans- do you think he'll play past the 10 game mark and assuming Tkachuk does stick on the big club, realistically how many points could you see Tkachuk getting this season?

40-45 a good benchmark or am I underselling?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Flames fans- do you think he'll play past the 10 game mark and assuming Tkachuk does stick on the big club, realistically how many points could you see Tkachuk getting this season?

I recall the only issue with Tkachuk was foot speed. Is this something he still needs to work on or was that just an overstatement? I find a lot of hyperbole occurs around draft day.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

I definitely see him sticking. We are weaker on the wing, and I can see him sticking with Bennett and making a solid pairing. The only thing that would push him back down is management wanting to make him drive a line down in the O to give him that experience.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I recall the only issue with Tkachuk was foot speed. Is this something he still needs to work on or was that just an overstatement? I find a lot of hyperbole occurs around draft day.

It's hyperbole. His skating is good but not elite. I'm sure it's something the trainers will be addressing over the summer.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
What are the chances he makes the team? I thought he'd be better served being the guy on London, but is there a decent chance he sticks with the Flames?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Way to sign a guy thats exempt from the expansion draft. **** you finna do with dat contract when he duds it up. Truculence only gets you so far.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
Guys complaining about the contract are missing half the details! Its much worse than you know! He is getting a signing bonus of $92,500 every year of this three year contract! On top of this he maybe able to double his salary on BONUSES! Insane!!!!!!!!

Granted he would need to be the MVP of the Allstar game, we all know he is no where near as skilled as John Scott!
Thanks to one of the posters here I have a new saying " Sarcastically Challenged ". Really like that!

Back to reality! In development camp this past week Tkatchuk played well. Not super impressive but well. Skating did not appear to be an issue at all. Good skater, not a great skater. Skating will determine whether he is a good player or star player at the next level.

Development camp is over and he is going to Gary Roberts camp to work on power skating for the offseason. Kid knows his weekness and is addressing it!
Will he make the Flames out of camp? I hope so! He is going to have to produce in the preseason to stay with the club. Management want to send him back to the minors to develop more. No player would be hurt by this. Fans want him on the big club right now! If he produces in the preseason/training camp it will force managements hands.

I just hope the coach gives him a fair shot to make the team. If he plays with Brandon Bollig and Matt Stajan in the preseason Tkatchuk will be in the minors next season.

As a fan I want immediate gratification. Hope he makes the team. Never the less another year in the minors may make a better player!

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
so is this what Calgary's lineup will look like for the opener?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Tkachuk - M. Backlund - Frolik
Shinkaruk - Bennett - Chiasson
Ferland - Stajan - Bouma
Bollig

???

can a Flames fan confirm this?

this looks like a pretty decent lineup

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
Good to see Calgary get his ELC done quickly, he's gonna be a tremendous fit with Sam Bennett. Watch out for this kid, he's gonna make the NHL come October, book it.

How long before Tkavhuk get annoyed having to carry Bennett at the chin up drills?.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010

Ferland - Stajan - Bouma
Bollig

???

Yup thats pretty much it, Bennett might even swap to 2C. Our team looked good on paper last off season too and look what happened..

mrdonkey

May 17, 2010

Ferland - Stajan - Bouma
Bollig

???

Swap Shinkaruk and Tkachuk, but otherwise yup, looks about right.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I think it's a good signing.

I wonder if he makes the team. He's NHL ready, but another year in juniors wouldn't hurt him

Last edited:

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He's great but send him back. A non-top 2 player (depending on the draft year) can always use another year of dominating his league. Especially when it's a league in the CHL or NCAA.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
He's great but send him back. A non-top 2 player (depending on the draft year) can always use another year of dominating his league. Especially when it's a league in the CHL or NCAA.

Flames made the right call with Monahan at #6, I have faith they will do the right thing with Tkachuk also.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
What are the chances he makes the team? I thought he'd be better served being the guy on London, but is there a decent chance he sticks with the Flames?

Flames lack top 6 wingers.

Gaudreau is obviously our best, then we have Brouwer/Frolik/Shinkaruk/Tkachuk, Bennett played wing for 80% or so of last year, but I think they want him at center.

There is definitely room for Tkachuk if he shows that he is ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad