Confirmed with Link: Flames sign David Wolf

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
per his DEL team Hamburg Freezers website
http://www.hamburg-freezers.de/inde...ews_8a1f7234-6688-498a-9bc9-5c6e3b2cffb2.html

Google translation
Freezers striker David Wolf will go from the coming season 14/15 for the Calgary Flames for goals . The 24 -year-old national team reached an agreement with the NHL club from Canada on a one-year contract. Wolf had a contract originally possessed in Hamburg until the end of the season 2017/2018 , which however is suspended due to the cooperation agreement between DEL and NHL .

"We see the change from David in the best league in the world with a laughing and a crying eye ," said sports director Stéphane Richer expressed . "It is the dream of every hockey player to make it to the NHL . We have always said that we would put on such an opportunity none of our guys obstacles in the way - apart from the fact that we would not have the opportunity because of the regulations to block us . The change from David is also a award for Freezers and our work in recent years . On the other hand , the loss hits us especially sporty. David is hard to replace . He has here become one of the best strikers in the DEL and has become a leader. But just because I think David will prevail with his strong will in the NHL. We wish him all the best in any case ! "

" For me, with this change , a childhood dream come true ," said David Wolf . " From Small to it was my great desire to someday get the chance to prove myself in the NHL. But I have spent the last years hard. Of course, I 'm also nostalgic for such a day . I have to thank the Freezers very much, because they have given me the chance to develop myself in the DEL to a key player . The city and the fans I have made in the last three years deep into my heart . I am sure that we will all meet again sometime in the future. "

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I was joking.

How good is this guy? I noticed he's not on the WC team. He must be injured, because if he's not good enough for Team Germany I can't see him being good enough for the NHL.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Flames make it official

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
The #Flames have signed forward David Wolf from the Hamburg Freezers of the German League ~ cflam.es/1oIOYdr

he Calgary Flames announced today that they have signed forward David Wolf from the Hamburg Freezers of the German League (DEL).

Wolf, a native of Dusseldorf, Germany, has spent the last three seasons with the Hamburg Freezers of the DEL. In 48 games this season, Wolf has netted 14 goals and 26 assists for 40 points and had a +14 rating. He has represented Germany at the World Under-18’s, World Junior Championships and German’s National Team for Olympic qualifying.

Wolf played Mannheim (Junior League), Heilbronn (3rd league) and Crimmtischau (2nd league) before he signed with the Hannover Scorpions in 2009. In 120 games for the Scorpions in the DEL (1st league) he scored 22 points (10 goals, 12 assists) and captured the German championship in 2010. Before the 2011-2012-season he joined the Hamburg Freezers where he scored 115 points (44 goals, 71 assists) in 154 games. He has represented Germany 20 times internationally and is known as a skilled left wing with a physical presence having totaled 500 penalty minutes in the DEL. His father Manfred “Mannix†Wolf, who was born in Aurora, Ontario, played 519 games in the German 1st league between 1979 and 1992, scoring 293 goals and adding 357 assists (650 points).

Contract terms: 1 year contract with an Average Annual Value of $925,000 (NHL $775,000 / AHL $70,000)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sven is German/Swiss too. So this could be good for him too if they play in the same place.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Cool. I just hope he doesn't feel like he has to be "that crazy guy" to earn a roster spot. Evidently he can play but that "highlight" that was posted a few months back wasn't a great first impression for me.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Cool. I just hope he doesn't feel like he has to be "that crazy guy" to earn a roster spot. Evidently he can play but that "highlight" that was posted a few months back wasn't a great first impression for me.

Obviously he has left a god impression on Burke. Otherwise we wouldn't have signed the guy. Plus it is only one video clip, the video actually made me excited for the guy. Hopefully he doesn't do that, but to me he doesn't take ****.

fallsviewafro*

Ahahaha he absolutely DUMMIED those guys. Second dude took it on the chin pretty hard.

How many of these "large forwards who are decently skilled with the puck and are good at crushing other dudes" have we signed recently? Wasn't Dutch Oven one of these types too? Truculence!

"You're sending the Wolf?"

Looking forward to seeing this guy.

****, negro! That's all you had to say!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like how they refer to him as one of the best 'strikers' in the DEL. I get its a translation but that pretty hilarious.

Definitely a football reference that I guess gets used in hockey overseas too.

I'm perfectly fine with this. Him or BVB will take the role of second tough guy along with Big Ern. Wolf even brings some offence to this line.

fallsviewafro*

Definitely a football reference that I guess gets used in hockey overseas too.

I'm perfectly fine with this. Him or BVB will take the role of second tough guy along with Big Ern. Wolf even brings some offence to this line.

I'm sad Torts got fired, we could have started the next game versus the Nucks next year with any three of Wolf / Ern / Westgarth / Dutch Oven and watch the tears of rage flow.

Aug 3, 2010
Here's some of his skills other than fighting

Nice pass at 0:40 and a beautiful goal at 2:18 (#89). Style-wise you can compare him to Lucic, just not as good as him ;)

Edit: a bit more

Hattrick at 0:55 - 2:15 - 2:45

Goal at 3:08 - Nice move at 3:30 - Goal (deflection) at 4:10 Also had an assist for the 2:0

We just call him monster ;)

Just from the video clips (yes I know it's not a very fair or accurate measure but just working with what I got) he's definitely a solid body who isn't afraid to get to the dirty areas. Not particularly fast though, I suppose that can be worked on if he's willing. It would make him a great addition to the third line if he does improve his skating because currently it's about on par with the DEL players which simply speaking, isn't NHL level.

Couldn't really make any comments for or against his defensive zone play but guessing that it's at least OK seeing as he's a Burke-type player which is an effective player in all 3 zones.

It was mentioned before, but a line of Wolf-Bouma-McGrattan would be fantastic once Wolf gets up to speed. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the AHL until November or something. Acquiring a player like this to shore up the Flames' "truculence depth" and reinforce that identity, it almost makes me feel bad for the Oilers (as long as our fourth line doesn't get skated around.) :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad