Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Chris Breen

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
really sneaky there, "mod" :sarcasm:

anywho, so happy for Breener. He's come a long way since being signed as a project, and now he's NHL ready. Hope we get to see him in the Flaming C this year

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Feaster indicated not too long back that he and the staff believe that he is NHL ready. Hopefully he is right. I like his game and think he could be a big presence on our Blue line.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
really sneaky there, "mod" :sarcasm:

Ahaha. I went purely by timing. The other one was 6:02 PM EST and this one was 6:01 PM EST. No funny business, I swear :laugh:.

I'd love to see Breen steal a bottom pairing spot. The Flames are all about opportunity so you know he'll get his chance. It's on him to deliver.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Still am completely unsure about this guy.
Want to see how he looks in the nhl this year badly... But that means he has to out perform about four others guys for that spot. Calgary is too filled up with 4-7s lol.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have to be honest, I just realized that Chris Breen is 6'7". That's huge. I didn't realize we had a guy with that kind of size coming up through the ranks. Boston has a good example of what a project defenceman with size can turn into. I just hope, unlike Ottawa and the NYI, that we don't let him go before he really figures things out.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I have to be honest, I just realized that Chris Breen is 6'7". That's huge. I didn't realize we had a guy with that kind of size coming up through the ranks. Boston has a good example of what a project defenceman with size can turn into. I just hope, unlike Ottawa and the NYI, that we don't let him go before he really figures things out.

Breen does not really have much offensive potential, not nearly as much as Chara. Albeit considering his size and speed for his size I can for sure see him being a solid bottom pairing D alongside Ramage for many years.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I feel that he is NHL but it will be a struggle to make this team as we have

Top 4:
Gio
Wideman
Brodie

Tweeners:
Butler
SOB

Bottom 2:
Russell
Smith
Breen
Cundari

If I had to guess I would say Smith gets traded and Rusell gets waived

for

Wideman - Gio
Brodie - Butler
SOB - Cundari
Breen

If Breen can't beat out Russell than Russell gets his spot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I feel that he is NHL but it will be a struggle to make this team as we have

Top 4:
Gio
Wideman
Brodie

Tweeners:
Butler
SOB

Bottom 2:
Russell
Smith
Breen
Cundari

If I had to guess I would say Smith gets traded and Rusell gets waived

for

Wideman - Gio
Brodie - Butler
SOB - Cundari
Breen

If Breen can't beat out Russell than Russell gets his spot.

Russell was a #4 defenceman on the St. Lou Blue Crew before their acquisition of two similar-style guys in Leopold and Bouwmeester. I don't think there's much chance he gets waived. I think he's going to turn some head.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Russell was a #4 defenceman on the St. Lou Blue Crew before their acquisition of two similar-style guys in Leopold and Bouwmeester. I don't think there's much chance he gets waived. I think he's going to turn some head.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I see him in our top 6 for sure. I think Breen will be a first call up but may not start the season in the NHL.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
iy0h.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He was ridiculously highly touted.
If he realigns himself on that path, Calgary got a good'er for nothing.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I'd like ot see Breen getting some decent minutes in the AHL, and get called up every so often for a couple games here and there, stuff like the Battle of alberta where having that bigger guy might be nice.

Or have Breen and cundari both up, with one a healthy scratch, alternate them as needed/deserved

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He was their #5 defenseman. If he was their #4 he would have still been playing after Bouw and Leo were acquired, instead he was stapled to the bench for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs.

He was very clearly behind Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman and Polak on the Blues depth chart. Hell when Ian Cole played Russell was behind him too.

And Bouwmeester is in no way similar to Russell. Bouwmeester is a top pairing shut down defenseman that can chip in offensively. Russell is an offensive defenseman that is a train wreck defensively. People like to put down Butler, well be prepared to see Russell take over whipping boy status, only this time it was have more merit to it.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
He was their #5 defenseman. If he was their #4 he would have still been playing after Bouw and Leo were acquired, instead he was stapled to the bench for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs.

He was very clearly behind Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman and Polak on the Blues depth chart. Hell when Ian Cole played Russell was behind him too.

And Bouwmeester is in no way similar to Russell. Bouwmeester is a top pairing shut down defenseman that can chip in offensively. Russell is an offensive defenseman that is a train wreck defensively. People like to put down Butler, well be prepared to see Russell take over whipping boy status, only this time it was have more merit to it.

And yet he performed well enough that the Blues felt they should send Cundari to the minors instead of him. Way over the top. What have you got against Russell?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And yet he performed well enough that the Blues felt they should send Cundari to the minors instead of him. Way over the top. What have you got against Russell?
Other than the fact I have seen him play? Nothing. He is simply not good defensively. I never said he wasn't useful but in the defensive zone he is just bad. If used effectively he can be an asset and that will need to be in a 3rd pairing role (sheltered minutes) with PP time.

Not sure why you are even bringing up Cundari since I never mentioned him at all.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
Just using Cundari as a comparable. Cundari represents the level of depth that Blues team had. And in terms of depth, St. Louis preferred Russell. I don't think they would have if he is this defensive train wreck you describe.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just using Cundari as a comparable. Cundari represents the level of depth that Blues team had. And in terms of depth, St. Louis preferred Russell. I don't think they would have if he is this defensive train wreck you describe.
So it is mere coincidence that the Blues used him less at ES (per game) than any defenseman not named Redden? That on the PK he saw a mere 34 seconds a game? I am not sure where to find some of these advanced stats some people use, but I would be willing to bet that you would find Russell near the bottom in Quality of competition for the Blues defenders and he would have significantly more offensive zone starts than defensive.

Like I said though, he can be an asset if used right.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Wow, big guy. I actually barely ever heard of him though. xD He is already 24 years old... Did anyone watch him a lot in the AHL? Does he have a chance to crack the top 4 some day?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

As Abbs heat said he wasn't their #4 and I don't think he is that great defensively. I really like Breen's game and think he may be extremely useful where as I don't feel a 4th defenseman that is offensive is needed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As Abbs heat said he wasn't their #4 and I don't think he is that great defensively. I really like Breen's game and think he may be extremely useful where as I don't feel a 4th defenseman that is offensive is needed.
I will say this, when injuries happen and they always do, Breen and Russell might actually make a decent pairing as I believe their games will compliment each other.

I also think Russell is a high character player, he has deficiencies in his game but he has no quit and will be an asset to the youth in that regard. I really think his character is more why he was acquired than his on ice skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad