Post-Game Talk: Flames/Sharks/7/Saddledome/SNW/960/The Numbers Don't Lie

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
did you know that calculator has more computing power than the computers used by NASA when they put the first man on the moon?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I've got to be honest, I'm impressed that you'd take the effort to type all of that into a calculator and take a video of it.

Unfortunately, you made a mistake in your lineup. 0/10
Kidding.

Last edited:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
When I was in high school, the game collection with Block Dude reigned supreme. But I got bored. During calculus, I spent most of my time making games on the TI-83. First, I re-created Lou Carvello's Putting Challenge. Then I made a simple baseball game including graphics. One person selected a pitch location, and the other player selected a swing location or no swing, and the outcome was determined.

Then over the course of the year, I built around the game. What began as a single pitch with a single outcome became a full inning, where you could play against the AI or against a human opponent, you could steal bases, you could tag from third on a fly ball, and hit the batter. I sold it to two classmates for $2 a piece. I was kind of a big deal.

I still have the calculator with the game, too. One day I'll show it to my kids and they'll tell me it's a piece of ****.

fppr0twtm4xyjrmabma6.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Do you really need a graphing calculator to pass high school math nowadays?

It's not that you need a calculator to learn the concepts or solve the problems, it's just that you need a graphing calculator to do the exercises designed for the graphing calculator.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's not that you need a calculator to learn the concepts or solve the problems, it's just that you need a graphing calculator to do the exercises designed for the graphing calculator.

We never had that kind of exercises, just the ones with pen and paper. I don't know what they are teaching now but I just can't understand what kind of value using graphing calculator brings. Some value to programming teaching maybe, but not math.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Just remembered an old story my old HS maths teacher told. Russian students learning programming back then were really good because they had to learn coding with pen and paper as they didn't have computers. Doing that, you can't use trial and error, you just have to make it correct at once and really understand what you are doing :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We never had that kind of exercises, just the ones with pen and paper. I don't know what they are teaching now but I just can't understand what kind of value using graphing calculator brings. Some value to programming teaching maybe, but not math.

They even had that here when I was in high school and that was more than half my life ago. I thought you t was stupid so I didn't partake.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

You didn't need one, but it just made calculating graphs and things like that a lot quicker. I never had one in high school.

On second thought, maybe that's a good argument to get one :laugh:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I wonder, if Monahan had a calculator, would be sometimes throw some numbers in it?

makes u think

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
You didn't need one, but it just made calculating graphs and things like that a lot quicker. I never had one in high school.

On second thought, maybe that's a good argument to get one :laugh:

Some of my friends had graphing calculator as well, I managed to get through by using a simple Canon function calculator. If you can make some graphs easier just by clicking a calculator it IMO pretty much undermines the learning. Tough I was and still am a kinda maths nerd :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Yeah, but at the same time they don't typically teach programming. I think the main thing that they want is to allow students to create and process graphs very quickly, and find intersections and zeros using the calculator as opposed to, say, teaching Newton's method.

You're right, though, it's not really necessary. My guess is that when it was brought in, it was thought that teaching with technology would help prepare students for the 21st century or something like that.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Trying to do the vectors and graphs unit when I was in High School would have been nearly impossible, my high school actually made having a graphing calculator a requirement. So for us poor studets whose parents couldnt afford a $90 calculator that was great.luckily I found a graduate who old me theirs cheap

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah, but at the same time they don't typically teach programming. I think the main thing that they want is to allow students to create and process graphs very quickly, and find intersections and zeros using the calculator as opposed to, say, teaching Newton's method.

You're right, though, it's not really necessary. My guess is that when it was brought in, it was thought that teaching with technology would help prepare students for the 21st century or something like that.

Mathematics isn't about learning how to find intersections quickly, it's about learning logic and problem solving, IMO. Though it's time for a humblebrag: I might look things differently because I have M.Sc. in maths.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
So I the flames are 2-0 with my new dentures.

Coincidence?

It better not be, it hurts too much for it not to be the reason behind the flames last two wins.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Mathematics isn't about learning how to find intersections quickly, it's about learning logic and problem solving, IMO. Though it's time for a humblebrag: I might look things differently because I have M.Sc. in maths.

Really I thought mathmatics was seeing how many times a person could read through the maths work book without answering a single problem in a year..... I hated math if you haven't guessed already.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Love the GDT. Reminds me of the way I got through College... Playing super mario on the calculator:laugh:

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa

I still have those functions wired in my hands, and it's been over a year now. Holy man...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Do you really need a graphing calculator to pass high school math nowadays?

In one of my grade 12 math courses, we did several units there were literally:
A) Remember the path on your calculator to enter the correct program.
B) Plug numbers into program.
C) Write answer on test.
D) Profit.

Always thought it was weird. But it meant I didn't really have to work or do any homework. Which was a bonus.

I like university more; math classes moved from needing a TI to do the work, to not being allowed to use one :laugh:

I like the math I do these days, your basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division :laugh:

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
In one of my grade 12 math courses, we did several units there were literally:
A) Remember the path on your calculator to enter the correct program.
B) Plug numbers into program.
C) Write answer on test.
D) Profit.

Always thought it was weird. But it meant I didn't really have to work or do any homework. Which was a bonus.

I like university more; math classes moved from needing a TI to do the work, to not being allowed to use one :laugh:

I like the math I do these days, your basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division :laugh:

I swear to God, if my future journalism career involves any form of trig or calculus or anything... I'll shake the hands of every math teacher I've ever had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad