Confirmed with Link: Flames Schedule Discussion

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Wait so the first two games of the preseason are taking place at the exact same time? With one in Edmonton and one in Calgary? lolwaht?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Wait so the first two games of the preseason are taking place at the exact same time? With one in Edmonton and one in Calgary? lolwaht?

People don't remember? We did this a few years ago with Vancouver... it was basically split squad games.

Also the Flames have 12 sets of back to backs.

stlflamesfan

Nov 23, 2010

The only thing I can think of is if for some reason the Saddledome is not ready by that time and it will be either one of those options.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Anyone confused or pointing out the split squad game (didn't know it by that term before) has either a poor memory regarding it, or has never watched nor followed/paid attention to a pre-season before. Not meant to be a rude post, merely an honest observation.

Anyway my reason to post: whether or not it happens that way, word of mouth from a member of saddledome's board of directors is that it's ready to go for Sept. 1st.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
October 16-21 is a less desirable time of year for a California road trip - would prefer January/February.

December 10 will be known as "Return of the Iginla"
Nov 29/30 is when I'm going to go. Won't see the Sharks, but the Friday/Saturday Ducks-Kings games would be more fun.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
People don't remember? We did this a few years ago with Vancouver... it was basically split squad games.

Also the Flames have 12 sets of back to backs.

Totally forgot about that. Thanks

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
We're playing the Avs twice in Colorado and once at home? Same thing with the Stars. Is this to even out the games for Western Conference since the East has two more teams? Also can someone tell me how the wild card works? Can the west and east teams play in each others conference in the playoffs or do the wild cards just play inside their own conference. I do realize that the playoffs are base on divisions but the wild cards I don't understand. Thanks in advance.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
We're playing the Avs twice in Colorado and once at home? Same thing with the Stars. Is this to even out the games for Western Conference since the East has two more teams? Also can someone tell me how the wild card works? Can the west and east teams play in each others conference in the playoffs or do the wild cards just play inside their own conference. I do realize that the playoffs are base on divisions but the wild cards I don't understand. Thanks in advance.

For the Flames it works most like a "scramble" in golf

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I do not like the re-alignment and how this years scheduling is done. Below are my points.

1. Why east get 16 teams to West 14
2. Before the alignment it made it interesting on who would win their division
3. Rivalries develop
4. We played mostly our conference making the stanely cup finals interesting

Now Calgary are playing more eastern teams then in the past and making the West vs East stink as you may play a team multi-times and end up if you made the finals playing them. It fun having the finals with two teams who are not familar with each other. Finally I do not get to see a lot of the matchups I liked to watch. Example I am not interested to see the Lightning, Devils and Panthers as I am seeing Minnesota and Colorado

Why should The East get 16 teams to West 14 and a lot of the matchup I liked seeing in the past like playing the Oilers, Canucks, Colorado multiple times and now they are playing more teams in the East.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I do not like the re-alignment and how this years scheduling is done. Below are my points.

1. Why east get 16 teams to West 14
2. Before the alignment it made it interesting on who would win their division
3. Rivalries develop
4. We played mostly our conference making the stanely cup finals interesting

Now Calgary are playing more eastern teams then in the past and making the West vs East stink as you may play a team multi-times and end up if you made the finals playing them. It fun having the finals with two teams who are not familar with each other. Finally I do not get to see a lot of the matchups I liked to watch. Example I am not interested to see the Lightning, Devils and Panthers as I am seeing Minnesota and Colorado

Why should The East get 16 teams to West 14 and a lot of the matchup I liked seeing in the past like playing the Oilers, Canucks, Colorado multiple times and now they are playing more teams in the East.

Because there are east teams stuck in the west, west stuck in the east, and when they expand to 32 teams it will be even worse. This will round out nicely when they add Seattle/Houston/Quebec/Portland.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Because there are east teams stuck in the west, west stuck in the east, and when they expand to 32 teams it will be even worse. This will round out nicely when they add Seattle/Houston/Quebec/Portland.

I honestly can't see an expansion unless the league starts getting better television contracts. Remember, some teams are still struggling and the revenue sharing isn't like it is with other sports.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm curious if the olympic schedule helps the Flames. Especially since few, if any, Flames players will make their olympic team. Maybe Baertchi, Hudler, Ramo, and Backlund.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm curious if the olympic schedule helps the Flames. Especially since few, if any, Flames players will make their olympic team. Maybe Baertchi, Hudler, Ramo, and Backlund.
Butler and Stempniak could be on USA's, Berra on Switzerland's, even Giordanoa nd Brodie will be on Canada's radar as long shots. Horak should be in consideration for the Czech's

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Butler and Stempniak could be on USA's, Berra on Switzerland's, even Giordanoa nd Brodie will be on Canada's radar as long shots. Horak should be in consideration for the Czech's

Butler will not be on the team unless he's the runaway favourite for the Norris right before the Olympics start.

Suter
The Johnsons
Yandle
Big Buff
Martin
McDonaugh
Greene
Bogosian
Scuderi
Orpik

All of the top of my head make the team before he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad