Confirmed with Link: Flames Recall 7 Players

brewski1810

Jul 12, 2010
if we lose all 4 do we have a chance to finish bottom 3?

2 wins from Tampa of last 4
2 wins from Carolina of last 4
1 win from Nashville of last 3

Calgary looses 4, only way it happens,(not including ot points)

So basically no chance lol, I bet we finish with the 5th overall pick before the lottery, only team I see jumping us is Tampa bay.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013

So basically no chance lol, I bet we finish with the 5th overall pick before the lottery, only team I see jumping us is Tampa bay.

so nashville is a must lose game

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

With Carolina playing Tampa tonight this actually is not far fetched.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
With Carolina playing Tampa tonight this actually is not far fetched.

Calgary played itself out of top 3 today I think. It will be the 5th-10th overall pick (because apparently Calgary doesn't understand how a rebuild works, there's nothing wrong with taking a knee this late in the season... one of the only three teams in the bottom 10 with a winning record in the last 10, and that includes a team that's still trying to live a playoff fantasy). They cannot under any condition move above 13th overall.

The top spot's unobtainable. Second last is also more or less impossible, it require Colorado to win all it's remaining games, Tampa to do the same, Nashville to win 2 and Carolina to win 2; while Calgary loses its remaining three.

Again, statistically, third is also probably out of reach now. Tampa has win all three; Nashville needs two and Raleigh needs two. Calgary can't win a single game.

Fourth is also pretty tight, looking at Nashville's schedule. They have to play Calgary, which is fine, but then have to finish off the season with dates with both Columbus and Detroit, both teams trying to make that 8th spot. The have to beat Calgary and one more win. Calgary cannot win a single game remaining (which seems unlikely, 'hawks will probably rest players once it gets the president's).

Fifth might also be hard to come by. Carolina has dates with two teams trying to make the playoffs and jockey for positioning; then finishing off with Pitts (who might also rest in preparation for a cup run).

At this point of time, it's looking more and more like the Calgary Flames will pick 6th to 8th; Philly and Buffalo have played well, and I don't think Calgary will win all three games the rest of this year; and both teams simply have to match Calgary's output to stay ahead.

Overall, in a span of two weeks, this went from excitement at the potential first overall, to excitement about a top 3, to hoping for a 3rd, to a, well okay, 3-4; not bad, to 5-6 isn't bad, to a good lord don't play us out of the top 6...

brewski1810

Jul 12, 2010
Calgary played itself out of top 3 today I think. It will be the 5th-10th overall pick (because apparently Calgary doesn't understand how a rebuild works, there's nothing wrong with taking a knee this late in the season... one of the only three teams in the bottom 10 with a winning record in the last 10, and that includes a team that's still trying to live a playoff fantasy). They cannot under any condition move above 13th overall.

The top spot's unobtainable. Second last is also more or less impossible, it require Colorado to win all it's remaining games, Tampa to do the same, Nashville to win 2 and Carolina to win 2; while Calgary loses its remaining three.

Again, statistically, third is also probably out of reach now. Tampa has win all three; Nashville needs two and Raleigh needs two. Calgary can't win a single game.

Fourth is also pretty tight, looking at Nashville's schedule. They have to play Calgary, which is fine, but then have to finish off the season with dates with both Columbus and Detroit, both teams trying to make that 8th spot. The have to beat Calgary and one more win. Calgary cannot win a single game remaining (which seems unlikely, 'hawks will probably rest players once it gets the president's).

Fifth might also be hard to come by. Carolina has dates with two teams trying to make the playoffs and jockey for positioning; then finishing off with Pitts (who might also rest in preparation for a cup run).

At this point of time, it's looking more and more like the Calgary Flames will pick 6th to 8th; Philly and Buffalo have played well, and I don't think Calgary will win all three games the rest of this year; and both teams simply have to match Calgary's output to stay ahead.

Overall, in a span of two weeks, this went from excitement at the potential first overall, to excitement about a top 3, to hoping for a 3rd, to a, well okay, 3-4; not bad, to 5-6 isn't bad, to a good lord don't play us out of the top 6...

Yup I think after tonight's game we are looking at the 7-8 slot now. Nashville could do us a favor in a couple days by beating us.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm proud of this team for not quitting. It's always better to go down trying than sitting back and watching. You learn more by trying and failing than not trying at all.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
because apparently Calgary doesn't understand how a rebuild works, there's nothing wrong with taking a knee this late in the season...

I don't think fans understand why players aren't taking a knee this late in the season either. In most situations, guys are still putting in the effort because they want to show why they still belong or if they're upcoming free agents why deserve the contract they want. This is especially true for the farm kids.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Yup I think after tonight's game we are looking at the 7-8 slot now. Nashville could do us a favor in a couple days by beating us.

With the way we've been playing, expect them to keep rolling. I see us beating Nashville and probably losing to St.Louis , Chicago.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think fans understand why players aren't taking a knee this late in the season either. In most situations, guys are still putting in the effort because they want to show why they still belong or if they're upcoming free agents why deserve the contract they want. This is especially true for the farm kids.

I completely understand, but it's also a pain to watch the teams around Calgary in the standings gladly folding the rest of the season.

If GS didn't call the Avs out, they'd have lost every remaining game in the season; if you've watched any Florida games for the past month... you'd probably be like me and at least twice a game say "Well, that was uncalled for". Every team around Calgary has better, more skilled and overall more complete teams, yet are still finding creative ways to not compete every night.

I know a lot of people are playing for jobs next season, well, pretty much 80% of the roster... But at the end of the day, it's hurting us pretty bad. You go from an almost sure bet franchise changing pickup in the top three this year, to a possible changing pickup, because you can't afford to let off the gas for 5 games in a year... where the gas tank has been leaking since the drive started.

I mean, this is nothing new. Last year, in the last three games of the season, Calgary managed to pick up 5/6 of the remaining points on the schedule. That was a three position jump... I doubt Feaster pulls off the stupidity he did last year, if Forsberg and Grigs are on the table.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
at least the Flames aren't going down without some kind of fight. maybe that's what the fans might dislike when there isn't a chance for the playoffs and a rebuild is imminent/underway, but deep down the players are still competitors and it still stings to lose even when you know it's over.

shame on Colorado and Nashville, though, just because... :p:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Whats Button have to do with Nemisz?
Some people just want to complain. It's been publicized that Darryl Sutter would choose who was taken in the 1st round and then went to the scouts after that. Then with a scouting department amongst the smallest in the NHL (Sutter started making it bigger) with little funding and rarely having 2nd round picks Button really hasn't had much opportunity to shine at the draft.

Until Feaster took over that is. Since Feaster has been put in charge the scouting department has increased in size quite a bit, it is seeing a much larger allocation of funds and now the GM has actually started using his input in the 1st round which making an effort to recoup 2nd round picks.

The players that have had success that were drafted under Sutter more often than not are guys Button and his staff chose. Players like Reinhart, Brodie, Bouma, Prust, Pardy, Aulie and some guys doing very well in the college and AHL ranks in Holland, Arnold and Ramage.

Considering that under Sutter Button & Co had a grand total of 2 second round picks in 8 drafts and Sutter made the 1st round selections himself, I can't complain too much about the players Button and his staff did draft.

Trae

Calgary
I completely understand, but it's also a pain to watch the teams around Calgary in the standings gladly folding the rest of the season.

If GS didn't call the Avs out, they'd have lost every remaining game in the season; if you've watched any Florida games for the past month... you'd probably be like me and at least twice a game say "Well, that was uncalled for". Every team around Calgary has better, more skilled and overall more complete teams, yet are still finding creative ways to not compete every night.

I know a lot of people are playing for jobs next season, well, pretty much 80% of the roster... But at the end of the day, it's hurting us pretty bad. You go from an almost sure bet franchise changing pickup in the top three this year, to a possible changing pickup, because you can't afford to let off the gas for 5 games in a year... where the gas tank has been leaking since the drive started.

I mean, this is nothing new. Last year, in the last three games of the season, Calgary managed to pick up 5/6 of the remaining points on the schedule. That was a three position jump... I doubt Feaster pulls off the stupidity he did last year, if Forsberg and Grigs are on the table.

As much as I agree that it sucks we won't have a top 3 pick, I really can't complain. I find it admirable that the Flames are putting forth an effort and competing with integrity, it's refreshing to see in a world where teams in this position are pressured and expected to lose. At this point I have just decided to sit back and enjoy the good game of hockey for these last few games and whatever plays out I will accept. If we pick 7th, at least we still maintain some temporary pride, if we finish third, we get a wicked player. Heck, maybe karma will reward our good intentions by allowing us to win the lottery such as the New Jersey Devils when they won and drafted Larsson. They competed hard towards the end of the season surprising everyone when they were expected to challenge for last place. Only if it were this year, they would have drafted #1 despite finishing 8th (I believe).

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I'm happy when the team wins, especially with all these young guys with great personalities on the team, but what does piss me off is these teams with decent rosters like Nashville, Carolina and Colorado just crawl up in a corner and die since like 3 weeks ago. It's embarrassing. IMO they should reverse the drafting order and lottery ballots for non-playoff teams so that 14th pick goes to the 30th team in the standings, etc. Why reward losing? It's illogical and promotes unsportsmanlike conduct in a league that prides itself on having one of the most difficult championships to win.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Whats Button have to do with Nemisz?

well, Tod Button was the Flames' head of scouting from 2001 to 2011, and is still "2nd in command" of scouting to Weisbrod now. so, a lot.

considering how frequently pro teams turn over management personnel, it's odd that he still has such a high-ranking job with the same team despite several changes above him (Coates, Brother Button, Sutter, and now Feaster) and a lack of results from drafting/from the pro team for the past 10+ years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad