Confirmed with Link: Flames Recall 7 Players

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=666880

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled Akim Aliu, Carter Bancks, Paul Byron, Mark Cundari, Leland Irving, Blair Jones and Ben Street from Abbotsford at the conclusion of the Heat season.

Akim Aliu has played 42 games with the Abbotsford Heat this season recording four goals and seven assists for 11 points along with 111 penalty minutes which is a new career high. He has also played three games with Calgary this year on two previous recalls and the Flames are 4-1 with Aliu in the line-up dating back to his first two NHL games last season.

Carter Bancks has played 59 games for the Heat this season registering four goals and seven assists for 11 points and 53 penalty minutes. This is Bancks fourth season with the Abbotsford Heat after signing as a free agent with Calgary in July of 2010.

Paul Byron has played 38 games with the Abbotsford Heat this season scoring six goals and nine assists for 15 points and 38 penalty minutes. Byron was recalled by Calgary on February 12th and fractured his left hand in his first game on February 13th. He has as played 31 career NHL games, 22 with the Flames last season and one this season. He has scored four goals and added three assists for seven points in his 31 career NHL games.

Mark Cundari is currently in his third professional season with 175 games in the AHL. In 58 games this season he has scored seven goals and added 21 assists for 28 points while accumulating 93 penalty minutes. He was recalled by the Flames on April 19th but was reassigned the same day due to the termination of his emergency recall. The Flames acquired Cundari from St. Louis along with Reto Berra and a first round pick in 2013 in exchange for Jay Bouwmeester on April 1st.

Leland Irving played six consecutive games, February 5th-15th with Calgary this season posting a 2-1-1 record, a .883 save percentage and a 3.33 GAA. He was reassigned to Abbotsford on February 16th and since then played 12 games with the Heat going 3-7-2 with a 3.40 GAA and a .884 save percentage.

Blair Jones played 21 games with the Heat this season recording three goals and four assists for seven points and 23 penalty minutes. He has also played the first 11 games with the Flames this season recording one assist and six penalty minutes before being assigned to Abbotsford on February 21st. He played one additional game for the Flames on April 10th where he lead the team in hits before being reassigned back to Abbotsford on April 12th.

Ben Street is in his first full season with the Abbotsford Heat where he is third on the team in assists (22), goals (15) and points (37) in 69 games played. He played two games for the Flames earlier in the season when called up on February 8th and made his NHL debut on February 9th in Vancouver and played his third game in Edmonton on April 13th. Street joined the Flames organization after signing as a free agent on July 2, 2012.

Excited to see what Cundari can do, also nice to see Byron back.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Cundari is the guy I'm really looking forward to seeing tonight. I keep hoping beyond hope that Calgary didn't completely **** up the Bouw and Iggy trades and they guys we got back can all make an impact at the NHL level.

I hope Byron's given another shot at the NHL level, he looked good in the three minutes he played :). When we got him in the Reggie deal, I remember Feaster talking about his upside and how he could be a pesky little forward. Calgary really needs a pesky/pest type player. People don't really understand what a guy like Marchand or Lapierre brings to a team, but I definitely appreciate it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So... who do we have left on the Heat? Nemisz, Kulak, Breen, Taylor... Am I missing anyone?

The great Kolanos, how dare you!
Anyway their seasons over.

Kind of sad Nemisz didn't even get to come up, just to sit in the presser. Anyone else feel like his time with the Flames is drawing to a conclusion?
*edit*
I hope he gets reupped just for one last hurrah, to finally see if he can put it together.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So... who do we have left on the Heat? Nemisz, Kulak, Breen, Taylor... Am I missing anyone?
No one is left since the season is done. Taylor & Breen would have been called up too if they weren't injured.

Kulak can't be recalled because he was just on a tryout and is not signed to an NHL deal.

Nemisz, Walter, Kolanos, Lamb, Testwuide, Olson and Howse are all under contract and were not recalled as well. All but Howse sees their contract expire this year.

Of the recalls none are surprising except maybe Carter Bancks and maybe Irving if you were unaware of Taylor's injury.

Bancks is going to get a couple games it sounds like too and that really excites me. The kid is all heart, he lacks size but he defines the word warrior, he will be an instant fan favorite. I am so happy for him that he is getting a look. I hope he has a great couple games and earns a new contract as I see him as the next captain in Abbotsford.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

Walter, Kolanos, Testwuide, maybe a couple others... I have a feeling guys like Nemisz, Kolanos, Testwuide, Irving won't be with the Heat next year (maybe Irving depending on his little try-out these last few games).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Walter, Kolanos, Testwuide, maybe a couple others... I have a feeling guys like Nemisz, Kolanos, Testwuide, Irving won't be with the Heat next year (maybe Irving depending on his little try-out these last few games).
I am a big auppoter of Irving but he is finished. He is only up because of Taylor's injury and the Flames want a #3 practicing in case something unforeseen happens happens to Kipper or Mac. And with Irving hitting Group VI free agency there is no way he would return to the Flames organization after the way he was handled this year.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
No one is left since the season is done. Taylor & Breen would have been called up too if they weren't injured.

Kulak can't be recalled because he was just on a tryout and is not signed to an NHL deal.

Nemisz, Walter, Kolanos, Lamb, Testwuide, Olson and Howse are all under contract and were not recalled as well. All but Howse sees their contract expire this year.

Of the recalls none are surprising except maybe Carter Bancks and maybe Irving if you were unaware of Taylor's injury.

Bancks is going to get a couple games it sounds like too and that really excites me. The kid is all heart, he lacks size but he defines the word warrior, he will be an instant fan favorite. I am so happy for him that he is getting a look. I hope he has a great couple games and earns a new contract as I see him as the next captain in Abbotsford.

Yeah, I don't follow the Heat that close, so I wasn't aware of Taylor's injury.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I am a big auppoter of Irving but he is finished. He is only up because of Taylor's injury and the Flames want a #3 practicing in case something unforeseen happens happens to Kipper or Mac.

I'm not sure of the rules but is this the last time they can call someone up? He probably is done with the organization but I think I heard Feaster say that he was going to play (don't take my word for it).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Taylor injury just happened last Sunday halfway through the game with the Marlies. I'm not even sure what the injury is as I haven't seen any media releases from the team. Just know he left the game and then missed the final 2. Natually this happened in one of the games I was unable to watch :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hey Abbotsford how did Kulak look with the Heat?
Work has kept me busy recently, so I haven't been able to see much recently but in the couple viewings I had he seemed pretty decent and fairly solid. Wasn't out of place and wasn't very noticeable for the most part. But when he made a mistake it was very obvious. I think another year in the WHL will be great for him, I am looking forward to seeing him in 2014/15 though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not sure of the rules but is this the last time they can call someone up? He probably is done with the organization but I think I heard Feaster say that he was going to play (don't take my word for it).
I never heard the Feaster interview so I am not sure, but it only makes sense to recall everyone now since the season is done.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008

I too am excited to see what Bancks can do. Hes looked good whenever Ive seen him and he is the kinda player you just love to root for.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Looks like Nemisz is done with us, even Irving got a call up.

Yeah, hate to see it when there was some promise there.

2010-11 33 points with Abby, -8 (68 games)
2011-12 29 points with Abby, +5 (51 games)
2012-13 10 points with Abby, -12 (55 games)

Things were actually looking like they were progressing to be honest. Last year he was on pace for 43 points; + player. Had some injury problems, got called up and although I thought he played well enough; was kind of ineffective on the score sheet... but I liked his jump.

Took a bit of a step backwards this year. I think Calgary should extend him, if only a year or two, just to see if he wants to try and put it together. He's been hurt a bit for the past couple seasons; I mean, he's a power forward, you can't rush their development... but it's also harder to spot a bust (as might be the case here).

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary
Im confused, i remember people saying you were only allowed 4 non-emergency recalls after the trade deadline, and we were at i believe 3... how are we able to call up 7 additional players?

Trae

Calgary
Im confused, i remember people saying you were only allowed 4 non-emergency recalls after the trade deadline, and we were at i believe 3... how are we able to call up 7 additional players?

That's only applicable if the Heat are still playing

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Took a bit of a step backwards this year. I think Calgary should extend him, if only a year or two, just to see if he wants to try and put it together. He's been hurt a bit for the past couple seasons; I mean, he's a power forward, you can't rush their development... but it's also harder to spot a bust (as might be the case here).

There is not much left to see....even if he makes it, it will be a 4th line role...there are plenty of those around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad