Confirmed with Link: Flames re-sign Michael Stone [3 yrs, 3.5m]

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't want to react too strongly but this is really stupid. That's all I'm going to say.

the people with a Nuancedâ„¢ approach can "it's actually fair and good" this one

Advanced stats indeed haven't painted a pretty picture, I'll give you that.

We'll see if he's one of those odd ones like Russell or not.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
and the Flames give up their 5th rounder in 2018 to PHX by signing him before July 1.

any picks left to trade?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
We got a low end 4 to play as our 5. At 3.5 he will not be hard to move if Andersson or another prospect deserve the spot in a couple years.

If he consistently plays better than he did last year, then sure. I'm not going to count on that though, even given the good seasons he's put together next to OEL.

I'm pretty sure we've argued about this before in the Armchair GM thread though.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Fantastic Dline depth now. Just gotta get timely saves, and avoid the terrible start, and we're in the running for the division.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
and the Flames give up their 5th rounder in 2018 to PHX by signing him before July 1.

any picks left to trade?

That's it, I can support Flames anymore with the way they are throwing away picks. That 5th round pick had at least a 10% possibility to be an NHL player by 2023.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
If he consistently plays better than he did last year, then sure. I'm not going to count on that though, even given the good seasons he's put together next to OEL.

I'm pretty sure we've argued about this before in the Armchair GM thread though.

If he plays better than he did with Arizona last year sure, but anyone saying he played like a #6 in Calgary is out to lunch.

But it's pretty much guaranteed he'll be better than he was in Arizona last year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If he plays better than he did with Arizona last year sure, but anyone saying he played like a #6 in Calgary is out to lunch.

But it's pretty much guaranteed he'll be better than he was in Arizona last year.

Pretty sure he and Brodie had a 66% gf 5 on 5 in the regular season...

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Me, trying to figure out which draft picks the Flames will be making over the next three years:
giphy.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary just stacked the deck here.
Stone being your #5 is fantastic. Maybe overpaid by 500k... but he came in and was a solid player for Calgary last season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Our defence is disgusting now.

I feel like it's probably worth noting Stone may have bad advanced stats, but he'll be in a new situation as a sheltered third pairing guy. Even on the second pairing he was for for us last year, and he'll be healthier this year.

This is awesome. Get a one year vet on RW and let's go get a Cup.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
This is an abominable contract for a mediocre third-pairing defenceman that, unless Stone is traded or bought out, will push Andersson, Fox or both out of the organisation.

Just ****ing great.

Reactions: Cyrano

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This is an abominable contract for a mediocre third-pairing defenceman that, unless Stone is traded or bought out, will push Andersson, Fox or both out of the organisation.

Just ****ing great.

You gotta chill.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

Just ****ing great.

Relax, both Andersson & Fox are at least 1 year away, this is a tradeable contract, he's a 4-5, that many teams will have interest in if we were to trade him in a year or 2.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You gotta chill.

Yeah.
No one's a sure thing. Fox is likely still 2-3 years away with that size.

IF Andersson shows well, I doubt Calgary would have much issue with having him slot in the 6D role even if he's a righty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad