Confirmed with Link: Flames re-sign Michael Stone [3 yrs, 3.5m]

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
What the f*** happened? Guy should be making league minimum with the way he's been playing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Stone hasn’t been excellent, but he’s a solid #5 IMO. I actually don’t think he’s been far off from Hamonic, he’s had his share of struggles in his own end, but he’s also been steady and his size and toughness shows, he’s valuable to the Flames. He can play in the top 4, he has chemistry with Brodie and he has a canon. I’m happy we have him.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Stone hasn’t been excellent, but he’s a solid #5 IMO. I actually don’t think he’s been far off from Hamonic, he’s had his share of struggles in his own end, but he’s also been steady and his size and toughness shows, he’s valuable to the Flames. He can play in the top 4, he has chemistry with Brodie and he has a canon. I’m happy we have him.

I don't really think Hamonic's been much better than Brouwer and I'm not sure why one player is getting a huge pass and the other one's been the whipping boy for two seasons.

Reactions: Dack

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't really think Hamonic's been much better than Brouwer and I'm not sure why one player is getting a huge pass and the other one's been the whipping boy for two seasons.

Hamonic is moveable, just overrated/costly. Same as Stone and Frolik.

Brouwer has actual negative value.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Hamonic is moveable, just overrated/costly. Same as Stone and Frolik.

Brouwer has actual negative value.

Frolik is overpaid this year, but throughout the rest of his contract here he's been worth every penny. I don't know a team in the league that would take any of Brouwer, Hamonic or Stone at this point. Incredible that we managed to go from one bad contract up to three in just the span of a single offseason.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Out of curiosity, what do you think we'd get for Stone?
If a team is really desperate for defensemen, then I could see us getting as high as a second, like the Ron Hainsey deal. But probably a third and meh prospect

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Treliving decision to go all in on defence was an odd one in a league where no name defences can win championships. The best prospects are largely defenceman while at the same time there's a significant amount of cap space allocated to the defence as well. Meanwhile the second and third lines need an offensive upgrade in the worst way. Hopefully he capitalizes on that by moving one of Hamilton, Stone or Hamonic at the draft to free up cap space, a spot for Andersson and show Fox there's room for him in the organization. Either get a premier forward back or a really high draft pick so they can draft that high end offensive piece.

Stone is definitely movable. Two years at 3.5M for a competent bottom 3 defenceman isn't terrible; and I'm sure there's an organization out there capable of recognizing the value of his shot on the powerplay. There's only one Dave Cameron after all, thankfully. Won't get back much more than a mid round pick and maybe some cap or a mediocre prospect back though.

Really doubt Treliving moves Hamonic so quickly after acquiring him. Bad trade but he's getting better.

Hamilton might be the best choice to move. He has the most value and his offensive skills could in theory be replaced by Andersson or Fox. And none of prospects, nor Stone nor Hamonic are going to return that premier offensive piece. And there isn't same kind of depth on the left side at the moment to move Brodie.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
We should trade Gio and Hamilton and tank for Jack Hughes.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
@Calculon
I don’t think you can say you can win championships with scrub D’s, not unless you have 2 of the top 5 players in the world playing centre for you.

Everyone else has had nothing but dominant top 4’s.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Stone's been good. I'm of the opinion that he wasn't signed to be a bottom pairing defenceman, but moreso as insurance as a top-4 option if one of the top-4 went down, which has happened pretty much each season these past few years. We would've been fine with Kulak and Andersson on the bottom pairing most likely, but Kulak or Andersson in the top 4? I'm not confident at all in that, especially because that brings Bartkowski back in on the third pairing.

Regardless, Stone's been fine. Hamonic has not looked as good as I'd hoped, but given it's coincided with Brodie and Hamilton also looking considerably worse than they have in the past, I'm not sure if that's actually a Hamonic problem or a Flames problem as to why the defencemen are struggling. One thing is for sure, though, this year is proving that on our d-corps, Giordano is still head and shoulders above everyone else.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Hamonic > Brodie so far this season IMO. Would like to see him longer before trading. I also like what Stone brings.

They are roughly even defensively and one of the guys is on pace to produce more than three times the amount of points as the other. Brodie has really pulled it together, he's playing good hockey, not sure why it seems I'm the only one who can see this.

Reactions: Calculon and Dack

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They are roughly even defensively and one of the guys is on pace to produce more than three times the amount of points as the other. Brodie has really pulled it together, he's playing good hockey, not sure why it seems I'm the only one who can see this.

You're not, but the vocal ones will make it seem like you are.
We're significantly worse without Brodie.

Reactions: Cyrano

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
We should trade Gio and Hamilton and tank for Jack Hughes.

Why would we need to trade Gio and Hamilton? Just re-sign Gully in the offseason and we have Hughes locked up. Jack Hughes > Matthews and Eichel

Reactions: Dack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad