GDT: Flames @ Predators, 6:00 PM Mt, SNET-Flames

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That, and Bartowski's awesome pass to no one that led to the 3rd Preds goal.

Two passes to Engelland. The first one was a poorly placed bank pass that Engelland could do nothing about. He then got a second chance and put it along the kickplate, and Engelland failed to so much as slow the puck down, let alone take the pass. That was kind of on both of them. Bart didn't need to pass it so hard, but Engelland needs to make a stronger play there.

But yeah, I almost did some interior decorating after that goal went in. That was a gimme zone-exit.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
What a **** poor PP tonight. Relied way too much on the bumpback play when it seemed several times the first guy on the rush could of taken it in. But instead they do the bumpback which allowed the Preds to line up across the blue line. Maybe ring it around a few times to change it up.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not super confident in Johnson and that bottom pairing.
Does anyone even know what the lesser Hamilton is doing up on this team?

Duh. Gulutzan plz.

Special teams have taken a nose dive. Change it up already. This team needs to remember how to drive the net, and how to shoot. And how to get the puck out. Totally winnable game and they blow it. They better have some jump in St Louis.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Ferland was our best forward last night.

Time to sit Bouma, bring Lazar back in for some energy. The play just absolutely dies on Bouma's stick even for a 4th liner! Having Ferland, Tkachuk and Lazar on 3 of the 4 lines would be very tiring for the opposition.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Time to sit Bouma, bring Lazar back in for some energy. The play just absolutely dies on Bouma's stick even for a 4th liner! Having Ferland, Tkachuk and Lazar on 3 of the 4 lines would be very tiring for the opposition.

Bouma is invisible a lot of nights. Really feels like a passenger most nights. I imagine his tenure here is nearly up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would not be surprised to see Treliving offer McPhee a mid round pick or marginal prospect to take Bouma after the expansion draft. Assuming they take Brouwer in the draft itself, it'd free up 6.7M in cap space.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Ferland is Jamie Benn without the elite offensive ability.

I'm bigger, stronger, and faster then you. Whatcha gonna do?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Also- and I've had this beef for a while- our #1 and #2 PP units need to switch. Gio-Hamilton is way better up top on the PP than versteeg-Brodie, and with Tkachuk back the 3M line just carries possession to well not to be out there.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Goal one, johnson for some unknown reason allows his stick to get caught in gios legs. Instead of pulling his stick out, he leaves it in there for about 5 seconds. Meanwhile, he sinks down right to the goal line while play is still out at the circle. The shot wasn't that hard and it beat him clean. He proceeds to do his "poor me bit" yaps at gio for getting his stick tangled up, and looks down at the ice (presumably crying or something, I don't know).

Goal two, Johnson is lost at the top of the crease, has no idea where the net is behind him, and takes the weakest push off of all time trying to get across. The shot that goes in is an absolute muffin, I could have saved it.

Goal three, Ryan ellis comes to the middle of the ice and beats johnson high glove from above the circles (this goal gets scored on johnson once per game at least)

Super weak game. Our offence was anemic but realistically if we play elliott i think we win this game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Also- and I've had this beef for a while- our #1 and #2 PP units need to switch. Gio-Hamilton is way better up top on the PP than versteeg-Brodie, and with Tkachuk back the 3M line just carries possession to well not to be out there.

They do generally do that after a few bad PPs. Of course, it also depends who is on the ice right before the penalty.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Not super impressed with Johnson's play last night, but the team didn't do him any favours. He played like a mediocre goalie last night (which I think is where he lands at the end of the day).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Still, though, if we could have buried a couple in the first when we were dominating, how different things could have been...

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Let's not forget Bennett's giveaway that led directly to the second goal, that was more of a killer than the 3rd goal.

Also terrible.

Two passes to Engelland. The first one was a poorly placed bank pass that Engelland could do nothing about. He then got a second chance and put it along the kickplate, and Engelland failed to so much as slow the puck down, let alone take the pass. That was kind of on both of them. Bart didn't need to pass it so hard, but Engelland needs to make a stronger play there.

But yeah, I almost did some interior decorating after that goal went in. That was a gimme zone-exit.

And finally followed up by Monahan doing a crap chip up the boards into no less than two Preds players, while everyone else decided to not be open (Bennett making the excellent choice to rip up the wing behind those Preds players rather than giving Monahan an open lane).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Biggest thing the Preds did to us was taking away one of our regular zone exit plays, where we chip it to the guy on the wall at the hashmarks and they chip it out to the player exiting the zone. We never really got our zone exit figured out once they started to deny that.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Biggest thing the Preds did to us was taking away one of our regular zone exit plays, where we chip it to the guy on the wall at the hashmarks and they chip it out to the player exiting the zone. We never really got our zone exit figured out once they started to deny that.

And this is probably because the Flames only have two consistent breakouts. The Johnny carry out and the Backlund carry out. Everything else is a Hail Mary to Tkachuk at the far blue line or a dump out. I don't understand why the system doesn't take advantage of having 3 world class transition defensemen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Also terrible.

And finally followed up by Monahan doing a crap chip up the boards into no less than two Preds players, while everyone else decided to not be open (Bennett making the excellent choice to rip up the wing behind those Preds players rather than giving Monahan an open lane).

I don't really blame Monahan on that play because even in watching the replay, I didn't see much else that he could do there.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't really blame Monahan on that play because even in watching the replay, I didn't see much else that he could do there.

I'd have to watch it again, but I'm thinking he could've skated with it, or if he absolutely had to chip it, he could've chipped more better. I know there wasn't anyone open, though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd have to watch it again, but I'm thinking he could've skated with it, or if he absolutely had to chip it, he could've chipped more better. I know there wasn't anyone open, though.

He had pressure coming from behind him. He would've been caught if he held on to the puck, he had no puck support to pass to, so his two options were a reverse or trying to chip it out.

In terms of a reverse, Engelland (playing RD) was standing in front of the net directly, and probably wouldn't have reached it as he was exhausted. Ferland was in the neutral zone, I think, coming on from a change. A reverse would have had a low chance of working. He made the safer play. He needed Bennett to be able to thwart a clean pick-up by Ellis there, but Bennett was also tired after being hemmed in for a long time.

It was a bit of a calamitous shift, though.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Yeah, Engrlland didn't give anything to Monahan, even though a reverse would have worked if he didn't choose to stand uselessly in front. While not the greatest chip either, Bennett deciding to blow the zone was probably the dumbest thing he could have done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad