Flames Ownership Not Paying Part-Time Staff During Suspended Season (Update: They Now Are)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lucic is a beauty.

Murray Edwards is likely upset cause he lost a bunch of money in the stock market. Capitalist pig at its finest. Gotta worry about that bottom line with his billionaire friends on the golf course.

Corona virus has really exposed some people that are legit douche canoes, not that that was needed in Murray’s case.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't understand how the billionaire owners can justify paying their millionaire players during this pause (maybe it's a CBA stipulation in the section under "Pandemics") and leave their arena employees twisting in the wind. But I'm not surprised

Credit to the players for stepping up. Especially Rinaldo, a newcomer that doesn't even play regularly. I love this guy

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I would imagine owners are obligated to pay the players otherwise there's no chance they would. And regardless, they'll claw back a ton of it through escrow payments as revenues are split fifty-fifty.

Rinaldo's contribution is definitely impressive given he's on a two-deal and spent about a third of the season in the minors. He gave more than Pastrnak and Marchand for reference and makes about a tenth of what they make. Or a fraction of a fraction of what Edwards does.

And notorious cheapskates the Kroenke's stepped up and are now covering their part times employees for the next 30 days. Speaks volumes that Murray and co. might soon be left in a league of themselves and Melnyk, someone who probably can't even afford to pay his staff.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Maybe Kenney should give CNRL more tax breaks, it’ll trickle down through Murray, right guys?

Also, what was the City of Calgary thinking being so stingy with their arena deal, should’ve gave these rich rat f***s more money and maybe they’d pretend to care.

:sarcasm: :mad:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Frankly you guys are making much more of this than there needs to be. Winnipeg, Florida, Pittsburgh, and Washington are in a group of teams not offering long term pay.

Florida is paid by Bob and Pittsburgh is paid by the players.

While it is disappointing the Flames ownership didn't do more it is not like they are the only ones not to do so. I would be more upset the federal and provincial gov'ts haven't helped all citizens by allowing residential utilities, mortgages, credit cards, loans and rents to go unpaid with no interest until June 1 so people can endure the inevitable economic almost shut down.

Hopefully by September we can get back to watching some hockey and until then nothing but positive thoughts and health to you all.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
While it is disappointing the Flames ownership didn't do more it is not like they are the only ones not to do so.
Ignoring the hundreds of millions of TAXPAYER dollars they got holding the City ransom for a new arena deal, I don't give a shit what the other dirt-bag billionaires are doing - to top up the part time salary of the CSEC employees is in the neighbourhood of 0.004% of Murray Edwards' worth, and that completely excludes the rest of the ownership group.

Edit: it could also represent nearly 25% of the earnings of that part time employee and their family. That's the difference between eating or keeping the lights on.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just wanted to say that Looch catches a lot of crap but he always came across as a genuinely good guy off the ice and the fact that he donated to help doesn't surprise me in the least. I must say that a guy like Rinaldo donating is huge seeing as he's a fringe NHLer at this point. A couple of solid individuals there as well as the other players and people that have donated to this cause.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Frankly you guys are making much more of this than there needs to be. Winnipeg, Florida, Pittsburgh, and Washington are in a group of teams not offering long term pay.

Florida is paid by Bob and Pittsburgh is paid by the players.

While it is disappointing the Flames ownership didn't do more it is not like they are the only ones not to do so. I would be more upset the federal and provincial gov'ts haven't helped all citizens by allowing residential utilities, mortgages, credit cards, loans and rents to go unpaid with no interest until June 1 so people can endure the inevitable economic almost shut down.

Hopefully by September we can get back to watching some hockey and until then nothing but positive thoughts and health to you all.
While I would generally agree it’s not the owners responsibility. In this case it’s less than a year that the city stepped up and agreed to pay for their share of the arena. And well ffs Vancouver and Edmonton are paying them. Scratch the 1st point...
I’ll stick with FFS Vancouver and Edmonton are paying them

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I bet from ownership's perspective, they're thinking "we just agreed to donate our money to build you guys an arena, we can't afford any more handouts." :laugh:

Reactions: 1989

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
While I would generally agree it’s not the owners responsibility. In this case it’s less than a year that the city stepped up and agreed to pay for their share of the arena. And well ffs Vancouver and Edmonton are paying them. Scratch the 1st point...
I’ll stick with FFS Vancouver and Edmonton are paying them
Nice to see the flames have decided to provide their part time staff compensation support.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Winnipeg, Florida, Pittsburgh, and Washington are in a group of teams not offering long term pay.
As was stated, Florida and Pitts are being paid by the players because the owners wont.

Washington isn't long term paying, but they are paying their employees the full amount they would have made for the rest of the regular season, and they stepped up and did that right out the gates (so no one on their payroll is losing money for the regular season, which is all that is guaranteed by the employment, because playoffs aren't always a guarantee).

Winnipeg, unless I missed an article today, isn't paying their staff anything.

Also, big shoutout to Bennett, Backlund, Tkachuk, Lucic, Rinaldo, Monahan, Brodie, and Gio who have all donated to the GoFundMe after the CSEC said they weren't paying their staff (but before the CSEC reversed that after being rightfully shamed into it). Gio even donated twice (5k under his own name, and 5k under his wife).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad