Flames Ownership Not Paying Part-Time Staff During Suspended Season (Update: They Now Are)

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Not a good look. I get that AB labour laws is the minimum they need to follow, but I’d imagine this blows up a bit in their faces

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

If this is true, I might have to revise a previous statement of mine regarding the quality of this ownership group under Murray.

Are you surprised though? CSEC went through the playbook trying to find ways not to pay anything for this stupid new arena deal. Not a surprise they wouldn't show some form of decency when people need it most.

EDIT: I'll clarify, not sure how much of this is CSEC as a whole or just Murray Edwards, noted tax dodger at work.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
tenor.gif

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
f***ing cheapskates. I'm not surprised, giving these goofs public money was a mistake.

This City has given them support through years of being a mediocre team with no light at the end of the tunnel and they give the bare minimum back (all teams have and do charity in their cities).

19 year old Zion Williamson is covering the Pelicans arena staffs pay as long as the NBA season is suspended. Our ownership worth a couple billion collectively won't even provide a small token amount for their own employees.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
Hey HFboards team,

I posted in another COVID-19 thread regarding jobs yesterday.

Fans should be livid at this decision by Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation ownership. I try to avoid posting about it because I don't like drawing attention to my private life in public forums, but I have worked for the NHL at the Saddledome for the past 5 seasons.

Despite the work "only being" event/part-time positions, many of your favourite ushers, security guards, concessions workers, bartenders, etc. rely on the fairly average/meagre paycheque that comes from the CSEC over the course of the season. Many take the job to supplement their primary source of income, and some rely on it as their primary source of income as a good number of staffers are actually retirement age and looked to the CSEC as an important contributor to their personal financial needs.

Make no mistake - the hockey games, basketball games, concerts, and any other event would not be the experience that it is for you, the guest, without the efforts of hundreds of these event/part-time workers. While we should all understand that CSEC is not legally required to provide aforementioned paycheques, I would remind you that the City of Calgary and its taxpaying citizens are not required to provide $300m in public money for development of their private enterprise, as has been promised in the new arena deal.

I want to make it clear - this isn't about me. I work there for fun, to be a part of the crowd when an overtime winner is scored or when a cool concert act comes to town. I've met a lot of great folks who, like me, are happy to show up to work there - but they need that paycheque. Please let your feelings be heard via your local political representative, social media, or communicating with CSEC directly.

Last edited:

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Canucks "fan" here (difficult to call myself a fan of a team owned by greedy billionaires in this time).

Canucks have a "program" where they will assist based on "individual need". No idea how they assess that. There's no transparency or anything. And this in a time of a global pandemic. Shameful behavior from the already excessively wealthy.

Let's put team fandom aside and show solidarity with all arena staffs being screwed over by this. Any ideas on what we as hockey fans can do to show support, and pressure the owners into doing what is right?

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
shameful :( sad to see that Toronto is the only Canadian team willing to pay the employees so far :/

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

The Vinik's for reference, are worth about 600M. Murray Edwards alone is worth 1.5 billion (as of 2019). Absolutely shameful.

And it's interesting to see that the vast majority of owners who aren't stepping up for their employees represent the franchises that have struggled to escape mediocrity. It's not a coincidence. I've pointed it out before but with this kind of message from the top, it's not surprising that the Flames are where they are.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Probably try to squeeze some more money from the tax payers....bunch of greedy people in it for the money only.

Funny thing is plenty of people put up with their mediocre product ...

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Why am I only seeing posts on my news feed about the flames owners not paying the hourly employees during the suspended season? There must be other owners doing this aswell. Why are we taking all the heat here?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why am I only seeing posts on my news feed about the flames owners not paying the hourly employees during the suspended season? There must be other owners doing this aswell. Why are we taking all the heat here?

Interwebz are spying on you under the guise of "suggested content".

Anyone know how much in wages they are trying to save?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Interwebz are spying on you under the guise of "suggested content".

My bet is probably very little as they would find a way to cheat the tax payers as business 'loss'

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well this is disappointing to say the least. I feel like King would have pushed to get the workers their wages guaranteed.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Minimum wage x 4 hours (ish?) x number of employees (per event) x number of events

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
And boom goes the dynamite.

RELEASE: OEG statement on go-forward operational plans

"The pause of NHL hockey, concerts and events at Rogers Place has hit everyone hard, but it has created an even more difficult situation for our nearly 1,650 part-time staff. As a result, we are rolling out an assistance program to ensure their well-being is protected," said OEG President of Business Operations & Chief Operating Officer Tom Anselmi. "All part-time staff affected by a temporary halt in our operations will receive financial payment to bridge them between their maximum EI benefits and their regular average earnings for remaining regular season games."

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Oilers owner 1
Flames owner 0

BOA lost in front office

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Minimum wage x 4 hours (ish?) x number of employees (per event) x number of events

It's like 7 games isn't it? And 300 part time employees per game? I was guessing around 500K-1 mil, but I didn't know if someone had a more accurate calculation.

One guy said 1200-1400 loss. If that's true, x 300 employees means it's around $400K ish?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad