Confirmed with Link: Flames offer veteran forward Cammalleri Contract extension(Cammy still to decide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 23, 2014
Me as well, it just seems like something that could happen given Burke is doing the dealing here.

What high end prospect has he dealt away in recent memory to verify this unfounded worry/opinion that Sven will/should be traded that looms within certain fans?

Draft picks don't count..

Have we not learned grooming our own draft picks is the key to turning this around?

Just look at who our best players are? Monahan, Backlund and Brodie were drafted by us and Gio was an undrafted FA.

Don't trade a guy when you don't know if he'll reach his potential or not yet...

Trae

Calgary
What high end prospect has he dealt away in recent memory to verify this unfounded worry/opinion that Sven will/should be traded that looms within certain fans?

Draft picks don't count..

Have we not learned grooming our own draft picks is the key to turning this around?

Just look at who our best players are? Monahan, Backlund and Brodie were drafted by us and Gio was an undrafted FA.

Don't trade a guy when you don't know if he'll reach his potential or not yet...

I agree with this sentiment. If you do a Baertschi/Myers swap, that's one less home grown player 5 years down the line. You look at top teams in the NHL and you will find a theme that a good part of their core is home grown talent.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree with this sentiment. If you do a Baertschi/Myers swap, that's one less home grown player 5 years down the line. You look at top teams in the NHL and you will find a theme that a good part of their core is home grown talent.

And then there's guys like Turris and Niño that just need a change of scenery and flourish.

The fact is when you look at how many smallish, skilled players we have, it's only a matter of time until at least one is dealt to fill another organizational team need. That said, in no way am I implying that time is now and that player is Sven.

Trae

Calgary
And then there's guys like Turris and Niño that just need a change of scenery and flourish.

The fact is when you look at how many smallish, skilled players we have, it's only a matter of time until at least one is dealt to fill another organizational team need. That said, in no way am I implying that time is now and that player is Sven.

Fair enough, but yeah, looking at our smaller and skilled players, we are talking about Sven, Gaudreau, Hudler, Cammy, Granlund, and Byron. You can take Cammy off that list as he's likely to be dealt. I don't see Byron sticking with the club and I'd sooner him leave than the rest. I could see Hudler being dealt when one or both of Granlund/Gaudreau transition full time to the NHL, and Granlund has a bit of grit to his game anyways. In the end you'd ideally like Gaudreau, Baertschi, and Granlund each on a separate line in the future top 9, and when you look at it, 5'11 isn't really that short for Baer/Gran and it's to be seen if Gaudreau will even be an NHL'er yet.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Fair enough, but yeah, looking at our smaller and skilled players, we are talking about Sven, Gaudreau, Hudler, Cammy, Granlund, and Byron. You can take Cammy off that list as he's likely to be dealt. I don't see Byron sticking with the club and I'd sooner him leave than the rest. I could see Hudler being dealt when one or both of Granlund/Gaudreau transition full time to the NHL, and Granlund has a bit of grit to his game anyways. In the end you'd ideally like Gaudreau, Baertschi, and Granlund each on a separate line in the future top 9, and when you look at it, 5'11 isn't really that short for Baer/Gran and it's to be seen if Gaudreau will even be an NHL'er yet.

Additionally, Sven and Granlund aren't that small. They're (barely) on the shorter side, but Sven is already pretty beefy (190 lb at 5'10 isn't bad at all) and might be able to add a tiny bit more, and Granlund is just barely undersized - he can probably hit 200 lb if he wants to. There should absolutely be room for both those guys, plus JG, in the Flames' top 6 when all is said and done.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I wouldn't put Granlund in the "small" group at all tbh.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'm not overvaluing our players. Dumba isn't that enticing if we move Cammy + Jankowksi. Jankowski is coming along, I would rather wait than move him.

True, Jankowski is coming along, but Dumba is also a potential #1 Dman and a Calgary native. I would make that trade any day. We are trading a small second-line winger and a project centre in a prospect pool already loaded with centres for one of the top defensive prospects in the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly, I wouldn't trade Janko for Dumba straight up. He's not an intelligent player and he's from here, to many distractions for a young player.

May 27, 2012
Earth
True, Jankowski is coming along, but Dumba is also a potential #1 Dman and a Calgary native. I would make that trade any day. We are trading a small second-line winger and a project centre in a prospect pool already loaded with centres for one of the top defensive prospects in the NHL.

Dumba is not a future #1 dman. IMO he is a top 4 d, but no way a #1. Burke isn't going to trade for because he from Calgary. Burke will trade for the best offer, and Dumba is not that. Minnesota wouldn't trade him anyways unless it was for a much better player than Cammy.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Dumba is not a future #1 dman. IMO he is a top 4 d, but no way a #1. Burke isn't going to trade for because he from Calgary. Burke will trade for the best offer, and Dumba is not that. Minnesota wouldn't trade him anyways unless it was for a much better player than Cammy.

I'll agree he does not play a smart game, and he was exasperating in the WJCs, but I disagree that he is not a blue chip prospect. Have him spend more time in the AHL and he'll come out looking great.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'll agree he does not play a smart game, and he was exasperating in the WJCs, but I disagree that he is not a blue chip prospect. Have him spend more time in the AHL and he'll come out looking great.

You can't teach Hockey IQ. He can hone his skills all he wants. Won't affect his IQ.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
You can't teach Hockey IQ. He can hone his skills all he wants. Won't affect his IQ.

But it'll teach him how to play the game at a higher level. I think he looked bad during his stint in the NHL this year because he didn't spend hardly any time in the AHL. He is too young and too talented of a player to give up on that fast.

May 27, 2012
Earth
But it'll teach him how to play the game at a higher level. I think he looked bad during his stint in the NHL this year because he didn't spend hardly any time in the AHL. He is too young and too talented of a player to give up on that fast.

If he is so great and smart. Minny is better off keeping him if that's the case.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Dumba is not good defensively I can tell you that. he is rather undisciplined too

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Dumba is not good defensively I can tell you that. he is rather undisciplined too

The fact that he's not good defensively doesn't really bother me, because we need more offensive defensemen in the prospect pool. The undisciplined thing is definitely worrisome though.

The way I see it, we would be filling an organizational need and picking up Minnesota's best prospect for a winger we don't need and a centre years away from the NHL. I think you guys could change your mind pretty fast on Dumba if he was a Flame, there's definitely a reason he's considered a big deal by a lot of people, and I like the fact that he's from Calgary, too.

I definitely understand where you're coming from though. He definitely isn't good defensively and isn't a very smart player. I just think it'd be worth it still.

May 27, 2012
Earth
The fact that he's not good defensively doesn't really bother me, because we need more offensive defensemen in the prospect pool. The undisciplined thing is definitely worrisome though.

The way I see it, we would be filling an organizational need and picking up Minnesota's best prospect for a winger we don't need and a centre years away from the NHL. I think you guys could change your mind pretty fast on Dumba if he was a Flame, there's definitely a reason he's considered a big deal by a lot of people, and I like the fact that he's from Calgary, too.

I definitely understand where you're coming from though. He definitely isn't good defensively and isn't a very smart player. I just think it'd be worth it still.

Dumba is not a offensive dman. We need a dman like Smid, not more offensive Dmen. I would not waste assets on a "smart" player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad