Confirmed with Link: Flames name Brian Burke president of hockey operations

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is probably Feaster's biggest problem - he's an average GM working for a rebuilding, redeveloping and reorganizing team needing excellence from that position.

Another problem for Feaster is that Burke (Whether he can deliver it himself or not) knows what excellence (Or goodness or even "overaverageness") looks like and what happens when he doesn't see it happening?

Well, you can't become a great GM by simply not messing things up on a competitive team, and all great GMs became great GMs by doing great things. If our Flames become a great team, we find out that Feaster is, in fact, a great GM. Chicago's fire-and-brimstone was engineered by Dale Tallon, on his first GM job (not, at the time, a great GM). Similarly to Feaster, Dale Tallon caused controversy with a few potentially-disastrous moves (for Tallon, it was not submitting offers to RFAs in time). Chicago have won two cups as a result of his rebuild. I don't think any more detail needs to be added.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really like the 3 headed monster we currently have in place right now. I think they have their strengths and if they can function as one strong unit, we will be sitting very good.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Well, you can't become a great GM by simply not messing things up on a competitive team, and all great GMs became great GMs by doing great things. If our Flames become a great team, we find out that Feaster is, in fact, a great GM. Chicago's fire-and-brimstone was engineered by Dale Tallon, on his first GM job (not, at the time, a great GM). Similarly to Feaster, Dale Tallon caused controversy with a few potentially-disastrous moves (for Tallon, it was not submitting offers to RFAs in time). Chicago have won two cups as a result of his rebuild. I don't think any more detail needs to be added.

Feaster has had lots of chances to prove himself. I guess we'll still have to wait and see.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I really like the 3 headed monster we currently have in place right now. I think they have their strengths and if they can function as one strong unit, we will be sitting very good.

Monster is right - it will be entertaining to see how this works out.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Well, we have yet to see if it will be a monster or a mouse. I am optimistic though. I have a really good feeling about Ramo.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Feaster has had lots of chances to prove himself. I guess we'll still have to wait and see.

When? We don't know what opportunities he's been given by other GMs, to be honest. We won't know what he's done until he's done it, which means we have to wait and see what this team develops into as a result of his moves.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I agree. Burke is a very good trader and could bring a lot in that regard. Weisbrad is a very good scout (imo) and has done a lot on the prospect/draft side of things. Feaster is generally a calm collected person that is great with media, fans, and interacting with the players he is a very good person to be the spokesperson of the team. Not saying that is all Feaster does but he is much better than either Burke or Weisbrad with dealing with media etc. If they all get along this could be a very good management team (hopefully no one has to big of an ego looking at you Burke.)

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Burke has crushed my Stepan offer sheet dreams. Especially now, when the term and amount have even released as to what he is looking for. We can easily afford that an compensation is not too steep. :(

Gary83*

Burke has crushed my Stepan offer sheet dreams. Especially now, when the term and amount have even released as to what he is looking for. We can easily afford that an compensation is not too steep. :(

Stepan could be asking for 2.5M, we could offer him 3.5 and there's still no guarantee he signs it. Offer sheet isn't an automatic done deal.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
New York would match those offers. So what's the point, prove that Stepan would rather play for another team?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
New York would match those offers. So what's the point, prove that Stepan would rather play for another team?

Well, really it only proves that Stepan would rather play for $3.5M. All we'd be doing is helping Stepan get paid, and forcing NYR into a worse position cap-wise.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well, really it only proves that Stepan would rather play for $3.5M. All we'd be doing is helping Stepan get paid, and forcing NYR into a worse position cap-wise.

Then do it!

I really don't understand why GMs are looking out for one another. There was so many players that could've been offer sheeted for the sole purpose of hurting your competition, especially when the cap is going down!!

Gary83*

Then do it!

I really don't understand why GMs are looking out for one another. There was so many players that could've been offer sheeted for the sole purpose of hurting your competition, especially when the cap is going down!!

Probably because they still need to have working relationships with one another. An offer sheet seems like more of a stab in the back when you can easily pick up the phone and say "blah blah blah, I want this player, I'm willing to offersheet him but hey, I want to make a deal"

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
The Leafs have disliked Dion since his second year there and blame him for their failures. Boston was in a win now mode and they won, teams often over pay by mortgaging the future for the cup. The Lupul trade was good as Lupul picked his game up.

His drafting was ok. They treated Kadri terribly in his development and let Dion run him through the gutter with the media. The Kessel trade was a nightmare and Ron Wilson couldn't coach a girls volleyball team.

The Burke signings were terrible and handcuffed the team. I am from Toronto and believe me he is not missed. I always did like the way he addressed the media though, that was always funny.

This is a very true statement. Leaf fans in general dislike Burke. He had really weird self imposed rules on his hockey club and is a horrible judge of talent meaning: He will sign players to contracts they don't deserve. People go on and on about Lupul but in all honestly the guy is always injured, always. The three or four good things he did for us is most definitely overshadowed by the multiple things he did to that team.

Flames fans need to understand that if it wasen't for James Reimer emerging (A JFJ draft pick), a player that Burke never projected to be anything, and for the most part didn't want to become anything because of his over selling of "The Monster" (Gustavsson) and "The Bus" (Rynass)....we'd still
be at the bottom of our division. He can't judge goaltending talent for the life of him. Typically, Burke will gut the farm system when he thinks he is close just like he did in Vancouver and in Anaheim, but thankfully we got rid of him before he had a chance to do so.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Probably because they still need to have working relationships with one another. An offer sheet seems like more of a stab in the back when you can easily pick up the phone and say "blah blah blah, I want this player, I'm willing to offersheet him but hey, I want to make a deal"

Yes but Calgary needs a #1 centre and there was a lot of centers this year, and considering that the cap is going down, the opportunity was there even for a rebuilding club. Looking out for the league's interests won't win you a cup

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
This is a very true statement. Leaf fans in general dislike Burke. He had really weird self imposed rules on his hockey club and is a horrible judge of talent meaning: He will sign players to contracts they don't deserve. People go on and on about Lupul but in all honestly the guy is always injured, always. The three or four good things he did for us is most definitely overshadowed by the multiple things he did to that team.

Flames fans need to understand that if it wasen't for James Reimer emerging (A JFJ draft pick), a player that Burke never projected to be anything, and for the most part didn't want to become anything because of his over selling of "The Monster" (Gustavsson) and "The Bus" (Rynass)....we'd still
be at the bottom of our division. He can't judge goaltending talent for the life of him. Typically, Burke will gut the farm system when he thinks he is close just like he did in Vancouver and in Anaheim, but thankfully we got rid of him before he had a chance to do so.

I couldn't disagree more and I'm a Leaf fan. I think talent evaluation is his strength and it shows in most of the trades he's made - Lupul, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson, Kessel (you can disagree with the price all you want but Kessel was a 60 point player when he traded for him and broke out for two top 10 finishes in scoring - his evaluation of Kessel the player was pretty bang on). He also doesn't usually miss with higher end draft picks (Pronger, Sedins, Kesler, Ryan, Gardiner, Kadri, Rielly are all looking like good selections, though it's early still for Rielly and to a lesser extent Kadri), which I think bodes well for Calgary.

I still think I'd rather have Burke than Nonis. Burke will give that Calgary a strong identity if he's able to gain control there.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Anyone else a little disturbed by Burke's comments about Bobby Ryan? I don't think that those comments really flattered his personality:

"He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary," Burke says. "It's never going to be in his vocabulary. He can't spell intense."

I agree with Bobby Ryan that there was no need for this kind of comment when cutting a player. Burke went above and beyond his duty in a negative way on this one.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Anyone else a little disturbed by Burke's comments about Bobby Ryan? I don't think that those comments really flattered his personality:

I agree with Bobby Ryan that there was no need for this kind of comment when cutting a player. Burke went above and beyond his duty in a negative way on this one.

That's screwed up dude. When did he say this?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Meh he was explaining why one of the countries top scorers didn't make the team it may have been hard to hear for Ryan but I kind of agree with Burke. Is it harsh? Yes. But honestly Burke seems like a huge ******* and always has this doesn't surprise me or change my view of him. Imo Burke is an ******* but he will build you a team you want to watch. At least he is honest and you always know where you stand with him.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Meh he was explaining why one of the countries top scorers didn't make the team it may have been hard to hear for Ryan but I kind of agree with Burke. Is it harsh? Yes. But honestly Burke seems like a huge ******* and always has this doesn't surprise me or change my view of him. Imo Burke is an ******* but he will build you a team you want to watch. At least he is honest and you always know where you stand with him.

I agree

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that GM's and coaches speak candidly about players and each other when behind closed doors.

What is surprising though is Burke speaking so freely in the presence of a reporter and Team USA allowing Burnside to publish the article with so many negatives quotes about players. Have to wonder what they were thinking; guys like Yandle, Ryan and Byfuglien can't be too happy with the whole organization at the moment and it could hurt them down the road.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that GM's and coaches speak candidly about players and each other when behind closed doors.

What is surprising though is Burke speaking so freely in the presence of a reporter and Team USA allowing Burnside to publish the article with so many negatives quotes about players. Have to wonder what they were thinking; guys like Yandle, Ryan and Byfuglien can't be too happy with the whole organization at the moment and it could hurt them down the road.

Yup. I think the Flames will never be able to even get a chance at signing Ryan just based on this comment. Not to mention the fact that its morally wrong to talk **** about someone to the media who didn't deserve it. Regardless how you feel about Ryan, he never did anything to Burke personally that I'm aware of. It was a chicken **** move by Burke in my books

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Yup. I think the Flames will never be able to even get a chance at signing Ryan just based on this comment. Not to mention the fact that its morally wrong to talk **** about someone to the media who didn't deserve it. Regardless how you feel about Ryan, he never did anything to Burke personally that I'm aware of. It was a chicken **** move by Burke in my books

Well why would we sign him, he can't even spell intense!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Eh, I was actually referring Team USA but I guess so long as Burke is with the Flames, they can count on Ryan, Yandle and Byfuglien never wanting to come here.

Ryan did seem pretty surprised by Burke's comments, which I can't blame him for considering Burke has done nothing but laud him in public previously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad