Confirmed with Link: Flames name Brian Burke president of hockey operations

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Tweets from bob mckenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Last time Brian Burke to CGY rumors surfaced in June, Burke shot them down quickly. He was there to see his daughter, who lives there now.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: This time, though, there's been no denial (to this point) and some people who would know if it's legit have clammed right up. Interesting.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Based on combined efforts of @Real_ESPNLeBrun, @DarrenDreger and myself, here's what we know to be fact regarding Brian Burke to CGY rumors:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Burke is deep into discussions to join the Flames in an executive position but it is not, as of this moment, done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's a great GM. Calgary is already my favorite team in the West.

Love the loyalty and the craziness of the fans despite ****** decisions (very similar to the Leafs).

I hope he's the GM and not some CEO. Feaster needs to get fired.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope it's true.

We need a face of the franchise, that could be Burke. Strange I know, but he would deflect attention away from the kids and allow them to develop with less pressure IMO.

Mar 1, 2013
Toronto
Am I the only one who doesn't want Burke anywhere near the Flames? He's good at trades sure, but how many good teams are built through trades?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Will be interesting to see if/how this pans out. I still dont think King will give up control unless hes forced to by ownership.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I still dont think King will give up control unless hes forced to by ownership.

Or offered a big shiny thing to distract him.

Personally I think Burke would have a helluva great time here making changes and getting things to where he wants them.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's about time. Burke, brashness aside, would bring some much needed credibility to the organization.

I hope he's replacing Feaster. But if he's just taking over for King, who I'd assume is being moved to a purely business related role, then that might not be so bad either.

If he's just coming on as another advisor of sorts, then that would be less than useful. Unless of course, the position is just to give him time to get familiar with the organization before they end up firing Feaster or promoting King.

Interesting if anything comes of this.

cdnhash

Nov 15, 2011
Texas (from Calgary)
Issue I have with Burke is his latest stops always seem to set the teams back a few years and it isn't until he gets sideways with ownership and is relieved of his duties, does anything move forward.

benfool

Aug 30, 2013
Burke was a terrible GM in Toronto. The only thing he did that was good was the JVR trade. He is such a blow hard. Still always loved watching him rip the media outlets when his bosses were media outlets. If he doesn't come here voluntarily maybe Feaster will try and Draft him next year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think making Burke the GM would just be fan service. I don't think it would actually do anything to help. The course going forward is pretty obvious.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
As long as he doesn't start shipping out prospects and picks like candy and keeps the scouting team intact, I don't care that much.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Am I the only one who doesn't want Burke anywhere near the Flames? He's good at trades sure, but how many good teams are built through trades?

No, you're not the only one.

Some of the people here have excitement over the possibility of him here... based on what? An Anaheim team he didn't build? A Leafs team that made the playoffs in a shortened season... and were looking to fall out if it was an 82?

Dunno, bring him on as president... Let Feaster see this one through with Burke as a helping hand.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Burke was a terrible GM in Toronto. The only thing he did that was good was the JVR trade. He is such a blow hard. Still always loved watching him rip the media outlets when his bosses were media outlets. If he doesn't come here voluntarily maybe Feaster will try and Draft him next year.

And the Lupul trade, and the Kaberle trade, and the Dion trade, etc.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yep can't wait to offer TO our next 2 firsts for Kessel :laugh:
I think that is the only bad trade he made in Toronto, where on the other hand he fleeced us in both the Dion deal and the Primeau deal, fleeced the Ducks in both the Lupul/Gardiner deal and the Giguere/Blake deal, fleeced the Flyers in the Versteeg deal, fleeced the Bruins in the Kaberle deal, beat the Preds in the Franson trade,

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think that is the only bad trade he made in Toronto, where on the other hand he fleeced us in both the Dion deal and the Primeau deal, fleeced the Ducks in both the Lupul/Gardiner deal and the Giguere/Blake deal, fleeced the Flyers in the Versteeg deal, fleeced the Bruins in the Kaberle deal, beat the Preds in the Franson trade,

I covered most of those in my next post. I think Burke is great at somethings (trading and convincing GM's that the deal is fair even if its not) and poor at others (controlling his ego). I actually think him and Feaster would make a good team, my point was more or less that Burke doesn't walk on water and has made some bad deals in his time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad