Speculation: Flames' Markstrom keeping an open mind amidst uncertain future in Calgary

Perkele 14

Sep 19, 2002
Terrebonne
I don’t think Calgary should have a complete firesale. I think Markstrom and Hanifin resign. They have some good players and if they sell Tanev they still have some good capital for the draft. Not a Flames fan just my 2 cents.
Markstrom doesn’t need to resign, he still have 2 more years after this one to his contract…

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The trade market or the UFA market? If the trade market why punt on this season. If it's the UFA market the best of the bunch is Jake Allen. Not who I'd want to roll into 2024-25 with.

Because if the cost at this juncture is Dawson Mercer of players of that quality, I'll just wait it out.

There's no reason to make the move now, so if the market favors the seller, try again later. Maybe the market is better, maybe it's not...but it's not going to be worse than what you're going to pay in a panic.

Reactions: Oneiro

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Because if the cost at this juncture is Dawson Mercer of players of that quality, I'll just wait it out.

There's no reason to make the move now, so if the market favors the seller, try again later. Maybe the market is better, maybe it's not...but it's not going to be worse than what you're going to pay in a panic.
You don't think teams should address an extraordinarily clear weakness because of the appearance of panic? Mercer is silly talk. But NJ should absolutely address the goaltending. Something like Vanacek, 1st and a B prospect would be a price that's reasonable and one NJ should pay. They'll throw away next season too if they don't address it.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
You don't think teams should address an extraordinarily clear weakness because of the appearance of panic? Mercer is silly talk. But NJ should absolutely address the goaltending. Something like Vanacek, 1st and a B prospect would be a price that's reasonable and one NJ should pay. They'll throw away next season too if they don't address it.
The appearance of panic has nothing to do with it.

Actually panicking is the problem, which was what the original poster was saying.

They can address next year's goalie situation in the offseason, and of course they should. I'd prefer to sell this year since the season is cooked.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The appearance of panic has nothing to do with it.

Actually panicking is the problem, which was what the original poster was saying.

They can address next year's goalie situation in the offseason, and of course they should. I'd prefer to sell this year since the season is cooked.
Oof. Imagine selling at the TDL with that young roster. Besides Toffoli I don't even know what else you sell. Philly? Detroit? These are the teams you feel you can't catch? That's pretty pessimistic. As a Flames fan I know a thing or two about pessimism.

I think it's absolutely insane to dump this season and not get a goalie. It's such a simple fix, unlike our mess trying to rebuild with multiple 7-8 year 30+ contracts.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Oof. Imagine selling at the TDL with that young roster. Besides Toffoli I don't even know what else you sell. Philly? Detroit? These are the teams you feel you can't catch? That's pretty pessimistic. As a Flames fan I know a thing or two about pessimism.

I think it's absolutely insane to dump this season and not get a goalie. It's such a simple fix, unlike our mess trying to rebuild with multiple 7-8 year 30+ contracts.
This season is cooked. Look at the standings. It's just reasonable self awareness and understanding of the situation.

I mean, every year we know what 75% of the playoffs look like by Thanksgiving. We are into February and the devils are multiple games back with multiple teams to jump. Loser points make that a really tough hill to climb.

Progression isn't linear. They had a bad year and a lot of injuries, it happens. This team is extremely mediocre even outside of the goalie situation.

No reason to press the all in button

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
What decent G does that pkg get in your mind? I don't have one honestly

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don’t mind trading him, but the offer would have to blow me away. I want something very good from a desperate team like Jersey, Colorado, Carolina, etc.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Calgary should trade him now and take back a contract to save a few million

Wolf needs to play

NJ could take both Markstrom and Vladar for Vanacek , 1st , mid level prospect

Reactions: MakeCgyGreatAgain

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
A 1st, a bad goalie and a B level prospect is a horrendous offer for Markstrom.
Goalies aren't bringing back a ton. A first and prospect is a good deal for both sides. NJ isn't sending us their top young players for him and they shouldn't. Nemec, L. Hughes and Mercer aren't going to be in a realistic conversation. You're talking a 1st, bad goalie and at best a prospect like Holtz or Casey.

Reactions: MakeCgyGreatAgain

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
Goalies aren't bringing back a ton. A first and prospect is a good deal for both sides. NJ isn't sending us their top young players for him and they shouldn't. Nemec, L. Hughes and Mercer aren't going to be in a realistic conversation. You're talking a 1st, bad goalie and at best a prospect like Holtz or Casey.
Seriously doubt either of those are available

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Well pretty obvious after last night which team in the league is going to make the stops to get him in the summer

The trade market or the UFA market? If the trade market why punt on this season. If it's the UFA market the best of the bunch is Jake Allen. Not who I'd want to roll into 2024-25 with.

The poster didn't mean UFA, they kicked the tires on Helly last summer and they'll probably monitor the Nashville goalie situation since they logistically can't keep both.

Reactions: Bone Density

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Well pretty obvious after last night which team in the league is going to make the stops to get him in the summer

The poster didn't mean UFA, they kicked the tires on Helly last summer and they'll probably monitor the Nashville goalie situation since they logistically can't keep both.
I think Saros would cost a lot more than Markstrom. He’s been rumoured to be available like every year for the past three years and yet he’s still a pred

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Saros would cost a lot more than Markstrom. He’s been rumoured to be available like every year for the past three years and yet he’s still a pred
I think Markstrom having the extra year would bring their values to be pretty close

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think Markstrom having the extra year would bring their values to be pretty close
With Saros having a down year as well I’d tend to agree in terms of value. I was more trying to say that I get the impression Nashville is asking for the sun and the moon in a Saros deal

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With Saros having a down year as well I’d tend to agree in terms of value. I was more trying to say that I get the impression Nashville is asking for the sun and the moon in a Saros deal
Fair, but they should be. Just like we should be for Markstrom, no fewer than 10 teams need an upgrade or a new goaltender next year and the list of quality goaltenders available is incredibly short.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Marky yes, Gibby no
I think part of Gibson's struggles have been the blueline and forward groups in front of him. I don't really think there is a single +defensive player on that team. Markstrom has the Backlund line that's an elite shutdown line. Also a pretty deep top 4 group, even though there is no number 1.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Fair, but they should be. Just like we should be for Markstrom, no fewer than 10 teams need an upgrade or a new goaltender next year and the list of quality goaltenders available is incredibly short.
Markstrom has a no trade clause and NJ is reportedly one of the teams he would wave it for.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Markstrom has a no trade clause and NJ is reportedly one of the teams he would wave it for.
If I was him I'd waive for them too. He's exactly what they need. Leader in the dressing room and stops pucks at a top 10 level. They could conceivably win during the 2 years he has remaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00