Speculation: Flames' Markstrom keeping an open mind amidst uncertain future in Calgary

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I'd move him now while his value is high, Calgary isn't contending in the next few years. People were calling him a cap dump a year ago, right now he might get a good return.

Hopefully Treliving hasn't gotten shy of trading away 1st round picks.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I wonder if a team like Buffalo makes sense. Lots of assets, young team should be making a big step soon.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I wonder if a team like Buffalo makes sense. Lots of assets, young team should be making a big step soon.
UPL is playing well.in Buffalo and is their goalie of the future. Levi sucks

UPL stats are as good as Markstroms on a worse defensive team

Reactions: hn777

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me if they look into trading him over the summer. One of him or Vladar will likely need to go. But there's no need to trade him. Having Markstrom as the veteran for Wolf would be a smart play for the Flames as well.
I'm an advocate for keeping Markstrom, but I have to admit that this summer he might get a pretty decent return; lots of teams could use a legit #1 this summer and frankly when the best UFA options are all 35+, they'd be stupid not be be calling Calgary

Reactions: Boomstick

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm an advocate for keeping Markstrom, but I have to admit that this summer he might get a pretty decent return; lots of teams could use a legit #1 this summer and frankly when the best UFA options are all 35+, they'd be stupid not be be calling Calgary
The question we should be asking in every single transaction/opportunity is: Will this benefit us or hurt us in 3 or 4 years? I think the answer is pretty clear moving Markstrom if he'll waive and you can get something decent back is the right choice.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The question we should be asking in every single transaction/opportunity is: Will this benefit us or hurt us in 3 or 4 years? I think the answer is pretty clear moving Markstrom if he'll waive and you can get something decent back is the right choice.
I think dealing him could absolutely hurt us. Throwing Wolf into the deep end without a life jacket can f*** up his development, and Vladar sure as hell ain't no life jacket.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Markstrom always has a great year followed by a bad year so unfortunately if they don’t move him now they won’t be able to move him next year because he’ll suck

But as a pending UFA he’ll be great again so then they will be able to trade him. Tough call

Reactions: MikeFolignosHelmet

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This is a summer move. He still has term, a no move clause and a significant cap hit.

The trade deadline, traditionally, is more for dealing expiring contracts, support players and depth for a playoff run.

It's the kind of trade where a GM is sitting in the backyard with a drink deciding whether he's going to mow the lawn or trade his starting goalie.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if they look into trading him over the summer. One of him or Vladar will likely need to go. But there's no need to trade him. Having Markstrom as the veteran for Wolf would be a smart play for the Flames as well.

The timing is really good for them to have Markstrom mentor Wolf and ramp up Wolf's workload and decrease Markstrom's. Such a great way to transition from one legit starter to another.

So they probably wont do that.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think dealing him could absolutely hurt us. Throwing Wolf into the deep end without a life jacket can f*** up his development, and Vladar sure as hell ain't no life jacket.
We have goalie coaches. I think the impact of a veteran starter is overstated. I like Markstrom, he's a good goalie. But if there's value in a return it's a no brainer.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Since I'm 100% in favor of an all out tank I'd be in favor of trading Markstrom. He's winning too many games for the Flames and he has high value in the trade market... unlike Vladar.
Sure Wolf would have to play a significant number of games but if we are in a full on rebuild I think the pressure is off him to win every game. Expectation would be low thus giving him time develop the right way. And who knows.. maybe giving Vladar the #1 spot will up his game. Some players rise to the occasion when the chips are down.
No sense hanging on to Markstrom in order to play our way into the mushy middle of league standings. We've all seen what that accomplishes.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
UPL is playing well.in Buffalo and is their goalie of the future. Levi sucks

UPL stats are as good as Markstroms on a worse defensive team

I'd be interested in Levi. Shortest and latest drafted tandem with Wolf, woo woo!

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Markstrom with a .926 sv% against NJ tonight.
Stopped 38 of 41 shots.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Devils would have won that game with Markstrom in net.

Really hope they panic a bit and put Mercer on the table for a Markstrom+Hanifin/Tanev combo

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Devils would have won that game with Markstrom in net.

Really hope they panic a bit and put Mercer on the table for a Markstrom+Hanifin/Tanev combo
They won't.

This season is probably done. They have to go like 20-11-2 just to get to 95 points. they are 7 points behind in the division, and while they have 3 games in hand, they are tied with the Penguins who have 2 games in hand on the devils. They are like 6 points behind in the wild card with only 2 games in hand, I think.

There's just no reason to panic. Let the season play out, maybe sell at the deadline instead of buy, and hit the goalie market again in the off season.

Girthybowlofchili

Jan 17, 2024
I don’t think Calgary should have a complete firesale. I think Markstrom and Hanifin resign. They have some good players and if they sell Tanev they still have some good capital for the draft. Not a Flames fan just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They won't.

This season is probably done. They have to go like 20-11-2 just to get to 95 points. they are 7 points behind in the division, and while they have 3 games in hand, they are tied with the Penguins who have 2 games in hand on the devils. They are like 6 points behind in the wild card with only 2 games in hand, I think.

There's just no reason to panic. Let the season play out, maybe sell at the deadline instead of buy, and hit the goalie market again in the off season.
The trade market or the UFA market? If the trade market why punt on this season. If it's the UFA market the best of the bunch is Jake Allen. Not who I'd want to roll into 2024-25 with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad