Speculation: Flames' Markstrom keeping an open mind amidst uncertain future in Calgary

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Speaking with two separate sources close to Markstrom’s camp, New Jersey would be a team he would seriously consider going to, if asked. Talks have not hit that level of seriousness just yet, but if they do, my understanding is Markstrom would not stand in the way of a move to the Devils. But it’s going to cost Fitzgerald a nice asset or two, especially if either Hanifin or Tanev are part of the mix.

The Flames are believed to have interest in Devils youngster Alexander Holtz

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t mind trading him, but the offer would have to blow me away. I want something very good from a desperate team like Jersey, Colorado, Carolina, etc.
I don't think I'd put Carolina in the "desperate" column. I do think they'd want to look at an upgrade, but aren't desperate and typically don't make huge deadline moves.

After struggling at the start of the season and going 0-4 on a west coast road trip in early December, the team is 15-4-4 since then which is 3rd best in the NHL behind Van and Edm. Only 2 of those losses are by more than 1 goal (and one of them was a 1 goal game until they pulled the goalie).

Over that stretch, the Canes are 4th best in the NHL with only giving up 2.43 GA/Game and have the 2nd best PK% in the NHL. Kochetkov has a .917 SV% with a 2.19 GAA over that stretch. On top of that, Andersen is skating again and may make a return.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see them upgrade the goalie position as I'm not sold on Kochetkov being the answer in the playoffs. They may make a move, but I don't think they will overpay to do so. Partially because they don't operate that way and partially because I don't think the management team doesn't think they are desperate.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I do believe the pressure is more on Carolina and Toronto to make a move and if they are not looking at acquiring Markstrom that should be a red flag to NJ to stay away or at least be weary of parting with a top asset....Giving up Holtz to me would be a very dumb move by Fitz....If we learn anything from Meier trade these trades don't guarantee success and with his injuries this year he's been a non factor....Markstrom won't be playing behind the same system or defense the the Flames have....NJ should wait until offseason.....

Reactions: QuizGuy66

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Flames just beat Boston and NJ. No reason to go full torched earth and trade Markstrom. He's a top 15 goalie in the league. Unless an unreal deal comes along for an established young Dman like Sharaogovich and Kuzemento keep him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Flames just beat Boston and NJ. No reason to go full torched earth and trade Markstrom. He's a top 15 goalie in the league. Unless an unreal deal comes along for an established young Dman like Sharaogovich and Kuzemento keep him.
He's more than that. Vezina candidate in 2 of the last 3 years. 3rd in the league in goals saved above expected. 1st in high danger save percentage. That said, you need to make room for Wolf. If Vladar can't be moved (all evidence would point to that being the case) then Markstrom should be.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
It wouldn't surprise me if they look into trading him over the summer. One of him or Vladar will likely need to go. But there's no need to trade him. Having Markstrom as the veteran for Wolf would be a smart play for the Flames as well.
there is no better time to trade him then now. i can't imagine prices getting higher in the offseason. conroy had already done well at this deadline.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Time to move on. He’s playing unreal this year. His value will never be higher. Wolf is a world class goalie in his own right. If we can get a first or a good young player this is a no brainer imo

Reactions: Double Dion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad